Did you buy the extras?

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I just bought a 2020 Civic Si, for which I refused all the 'extras', which I know are inflated in price and importance. I'm wondering what other new car buyers think. Did y'all buy the ext. warranty, accessory pack, etc? If not, are you buying any 'consumer packages' in the after market?
Sponsored

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I just bought a 2020 Civic Si, for which I refused all the 'extras', which I know are inflated in price and importance. I'm wondering what other new car buyers think. Did y'all buy the ext. warranty, accessory pack, etc? If not, are you buying any 'consumer packages' in the after market?
Didn't buy any of the extras because, as you're aware, they're ridiculously inflated. The only thing I did get was an extra 4 years warranty for $1100 CAD (Approx $830 US). Its regular price was around $1700 and the sales manager is a friend of a friend who gave it to me for $1100. Already had to use it once and have 4 years left on it. I plan on selling the car when there's 1 year left on the warranty.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
The only accessory I had the dealer install were the splash guards, since I didn't want to mess around drilling holes. I bought many OEM accessories afterwards and installed them myself

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Good to know. Thanks, for your comments.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
If you find a car with extra's, and then just refuse to pay for them, you'll most likely get them for free because they wont bother taking them off.

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
If you find a car with extra's, and then just refuse to pay for them, you'll most likely get them for free because they wont bother taking them off.
In my case, the salesman told me they were on and couldn't be taken off, but I checked and they weren't there. He was just trying to justify not coming down, but he did anyway.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In my case, the salesman told me they were on and couldn't be taken off, but I checked and they weren't there. He was just trying to justify not coming down, but he did anyway.
In that case, just walk away, guarantee they wont let you walk out the door over a trunk liner and wheel locks :p

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
In that case, just walk away, guarantee they wont let you walk out the door over a trunk liner and wheel locks :p
I already bought and left. Didn't pay for the 'already installed' pack and still got the price I wanted.

Reactions: Phy

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I already bought and left. Didn't pay for the 'already installed' pack and still got the price I wanted.
Just saying, for anyone else in that situation and they try to argue with you.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I bought extra 5 year warranty and OEM security system.

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
The extras are where they really rip you off and where the dealership really makes the money.

Super-Extendo warranty, that's up to you.

The Alarm kit, that's up to you too. It's already installed. They can't uninstall it, but they can refuse to activate it.

The coatings and stuff can be done elsewhere, if it hasn't been done already. Think about it. You're gonna pay for your car now. They're not gonna get ceramic and interior coat your car in the 5 minutes it takes to roll through the car wash, take out the plastic covers, and roll it in front of you.

Then the accessories. Those goodies. The floor mats, the wheel locks, the cargo net and various 3M protective films if you were eyeing it. On a Hatchback you almost need to have the cargo tray and seat back protectors if you plan on using the hatch. You can negotiate for those items. They cost the dealer next to nothing. And if it's already installed, you tell them to uninstall it.

Don't be afraid to walk from the dealership. They make money off your impulses, and unless you absolutely need that car right now, you can wait. Until you sign the papers, that car isn't yours. That's why they shove all those last minute things in your face as they make you sign for the car.

OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The extras are where they really rip you off and where the dealership really makes the money.

Super-Extendo warranty, that's up to you.

The Alarm kit, that's up to you too. It's already installed. They can't uninstall it, but they can refuse to activate it.
Knowing what dealerships are like, I refused all packages without even looking at them. As to the alarm, I assumed that it's installed at the factory. If I press the lock on the FOB twice, the lights blink and there is a red light on the instrument panel that blinks. I don't know how I would verify it's presence beyond that. Any ideas? Or is it a safe bet it's installed...do they come standard with some sort of passive alarm, of lesser function than the 'package'?

The coatings and stuff can be done elsewhere, if it hasn't been done already. Think about it. You're gonna pay for your car now. They're not gonna get ceramic and interior coat your car in the 5 minutes it takes to roll through the car wash, take out the plastic covers, and roll it in front of you.
Are extra coatings & paint protectants really necessary on a new car?

Then the accessories. Those goodies. The floor mats, the wheel locks, the cargo net and various 3M protective films if you were eyeing it. On a Hatchback you almost need to have the cargo tray and seat back protectors if you plan on using the hatch. You can negotiate for those items. They cost the dealer next to nothing. And if it's already installed, you tell them to uninstall it.

Don't be afraid to walk from the dealership. They make money off your impulses, and unless you absolutely need that car right now, you can wait. Until you sign the papers, that car isn't yours. That's why they shove all those last minute things in your face as they make you sign for the car.
A given. I went in resistant. I knew the car I wanted to buy, negotiated the price, then told the FO I was paying by check. However, I couldn't take it with me...I had to get a ride back to get it the next day (dealership was an hour or so away).

Thanks for your comments.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone willing to get f**ked by the dealer is a masochist.

I made sure that the dealer didn't put any BS extras on my car before it was even delivered to them. They told me they usually put $3-4k of extras (tint, remote start, mudflaps, molding, etc) on every car that comes in inventory before they list them. I got lucky enough that they accidentally listed a 2019 Si for 3k under MSRP and didn't violate it with those BS extras!

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
Knowing what dealerships are like, I refused all packages without even looking at them. As to the alarm, I assumed that it's installed at the factory. If I press the lock on the FOB twice, the lights blink and there is a red light on the instrument panel that blinks. I don't know how I would verify it's presence beyond that. Any ideas? Or is it a safe bet it's installed...do they come standard with some sort of passive alarm, of lesser function than the 'package'?
The alarm is aftermarket if they have to activate it. Think about this critically. If it's factory, then why are you paying extra for something that can not be removed from the car? Then think of it this way. If it's factory, why does it require $200-300 or whatever to activate... and it only takes them a 6-key pin number?

That's because they installed it. Usually those alarms are tied to their key management system so all the cars answer to the dealer's tools. The key manager is then converted to an alarm after sales. All that stuff is wired into your cars sensors and switches, which is why it works with the fob. In some instances the dealer has to rip into and tap OEM wiring to install it and can cause future problems. That's why the alarm is a potential failure point that's not regularly covered by honda's warranty.

Sidenote: I don't know if the keyfob is the same across multiple models. But it makes sense to me to make one keyfob that works on multiple models for when someone need to move the cars around the lot. When the car is sold, the keyfobs get programmed to the car. That's why you can get keyfobs cloned at the dealer (for exorbitant pricing.) The physical key is a whole different story.

Edit! This is how you program a new key fob. It does not take an hour of work.

Are extra coatings & paint protectants really necessary on a new car?
YMMV. A nice ceramic coat will preserve your car's notoriously brittle paint. I don't eat in my car, but I do have some cleaners that act as protectants on the fabric. It generally makes vacuuming and dusting easier. Again, I didn't pay for this at the dealer because a proper ceramic coating requires curing... something that isn't going to happen between them driving the car from the lot and putting it in front of you. That means this item is a gouge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bob.

Bob.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
The alarm is aftermarket if they have to activate it. Think about this critically. If it's factory, then why are you paying extra for something that can not be removed from the car? Then think of it this way. If it's factory, why does it require $200-300 or whatever to activate... and it only takes them a 6-key pin number?

That's because they installed it. Usually those alarms are tied to their key management system so all the cars answer to the dealer's tools. The key manager is then converted to an alarm after sales. All that stuff is wired into your cars sensors and switches, which is why it works with the fob. In some instances the dealer has to rip into and tap OEM wiring to install it and can cause future problems. That's why the alarm is a potential failure point that's not regularly covered by honda's warranty.

Sidenote: I don't know if the keyfob is the same across multiple models. But it makes sense to me to make one keyfob that works on multiple models for when someone need to move the cars around the lot. When the car is sold, the keyfobs get programmed to the car. That's why you can get keyfobs cloned at the dealer (for exorbitant pricing.) The physical key is a whole different story.

Edit! This is how you program a new key fob. It does not take an hour of work.
Thanks. Good information. So when the sticker states "smart entry with security system", what is that? A start disabling system? I would need to get a 3rd party alarm installed if I want an alarm?

YMMV. A nice ceramic coat will preserve your car's notoriously brittle paint. I don't eat in my car, but I do have some cleaners that act as protectants on the fabric. It generally makes vacuuming and dusting easier. Again, I didn't pay for this at the dealer because a proper ceramic coating requires curing... something that isn't going to happen between them driving the car from the lot and putting it in front of you. That means this item is a gouge.
That, I wouldn't mind. What's the prevailing opinion of the DIY offerings?
Sponsored