Did the dealer not change my oil?

sfmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-L, Acura RL, S2000
Country flag
So the Civic is actually my mom's car so I don't really drive it. I did a few small maintenance things to her car today as we're getting ready for a trip. I replaced her cabin and engine air filters and topped off some fluids. Then I checked the oil and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
Honda Civic 10th gen Did the dealer not change my oil? IMG-1738-1

Honda Civic 10th gen Did the dealer not change my oil? IMG-1739-1

The oil was changed only a few months ago and it's that dark?! The oil life is on 80%. I always keep my service records and the car has been driven 1,284 miles since the change. Honda used BAS-N0L which is the 0w20 full synthetic.

I changed the oil in my s2000 last year and it still looks like this.
Honda Civic 10th gen Did the dealer not change my oil? IMG-1741-1

Something isn't adding up....:confused:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Probably is regular oil vs synthetic. Definitely tends to be heavier duty with synthetic and lasts longer.

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A few months? looks about right, my oil gets dark fairly quick too, I don't like the orange end on the dipstick as it makes the oil look darker than it really is.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
once i've changed oil in my 1.5T and slightly overfilled. I've driven 30miles or so after the change and pulled some through the dip stick tube. it was as dark as the one I drained with 5k miles on it. hope this answers your question

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
A few months seems about right. If you got it changed recently and checked within a few days and noticed it dark, then that's when I would start asking questions

SCcivic

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 300zx 2012 Corolla S 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
Just got an oil change about a month ago. Checked the oil a few days ago and it is the same color as pictured above.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
So the Civic is actually my mom's car so I don't really drive it. I did a few small maintenance things to her car today as we're getting ready for a trip. I replaced her cabin and engine air filters and topped off some fluids. Then I checked the oil and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
IMG-1738-1.jpg

IMG-1739-1.jpg

The oil was changed only a few months ago and it's that dark?! The oil life is on 80%. I always keep my service records and the car has been driven 1,284 miles since the change. Honda used BAS-N0L which is the 0w20 full synthetic.

I changed the oil in my s2000 last year and it still looks like this.
IMG-1741-1.jpg

Something isn't adding up....:confused:
anyone else thinks this look overfilled?

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
if you just had it done and next day I would be yeah they didnt change your oil but that is normal

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
our car turns oil dark quickly. I was worried about this too until I found out it’s normal.

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
anyone else thinks this look overfilled?
Hmm now that you mention it, it does look pretty overfilled, especially with how thick the oil layer is and it going up the metal part of the dipstick.

Oh well, I'm sure OP's car is fine, right?

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hmm now that you mention it, it does look pretty overfilled, especially with how thick the oil layer is and it going up the metal part of the dipstick.

Oh well, I'm sure OP's car is fine, right?
😬😬😬

Honestly it looks like they didn’t drain the oil out completely; when I check my dipstick the orange part isn’t bulging with oil, it’s simply “wet” up to the appropriate marks… unless OP took the picture before wiping and reinserting.

That might also explain why it got dark so quick, but like others mentioned the oil doesn’t stay looking fresh and clear for more than a few days. Last time I changed my oil at around 25% life it looked darker than OP’s pic, FWIW.
Sponsored

Last edited: