First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Hello friends,

I recently took my 1 year old Civic LX to the dealer for its first service (A1 = oil change and tire rotation). After a couple days of driving, I checked the oil level just to be sure they didn't overfill it or anything. The oil is much darker than I expected. I remember when I first got the car, the oil was so clear that it was actually hard to read the level. It's basically the same shade it was the last time I checked, which admittedly was about 4 months ago. For reference, I attached a photo showing the oil from the engine (bottom) compared to new oil (top).

I know for the A1 service, they only drain and fill the oil and don't replace the filter. Is it possible the darkness is just caused by the residual oil in the filter? Or did my dealer lie about doing the service?

Thank you very much for your help!

Honda Civic 10th gen Did my dealer actually change my oil IMG-6796
Sponsored

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Filter should be changed during every single oil change. They cost $6-$10. No reason to leave out the filter. If the dealer is not going to replace your filter then look into doing it yourself

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve read on Bob is the Oil Guy forums that oil color on the dipstick is not indicative of its age or remaining useful life. But if it’s dark after just a few days, I’d be scratching my head too.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
There was a reddit thread where a guy working in an oil-change place said if you piss them off sometimes they would pretend to change the oil- but not actually do it.

Barring a prior confrontation (or even still) I doubt a service cog at a dealer would have enough incentive to rip you off, and every incentive not too because if caught they could get fired if only for incompetence/ not doing the job per company standard etc.

Also there are different oil weights brands etc did they put the EXACT same oil in?

Dario1101

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Yeah, oil goes dark but after a while of driving on it, not a few days. Either you had a lot of residual oil left in the pan, or they didn't even change it at all, both scenarios aren't a good look for that dealer!

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this has any relevance, but I just remembered this: Project Farm on YouTube did some oil tests, and in his tests, the oil went dark after being heated up only one time.

av31094

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normal. A1 is A=LOF 1 is tire rot. filter gets replaced everytime.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normal. A1 is A=LOF 1 is tire rot. filter gets replaced everytime.
Read the owner's manual again. The "A" service is not oil and filter, it is just an oil change. "B" is oil and filter. Filter gets changed every other oil change. Whether you wish to follow this recommendation or not is up to you, but Honda mandates a new filter with every other oil change.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Your oil has been changed. There is residual old oil in the engine we can't get out. It's a simple drain and refill. It would be a black coffee color if it was not changed.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Your oil has been changed. There is residual old oil in the engine we can't get out. It's a simple drain and refill. It would be a black coffee color if it was not changed.
My Sport's oil never got coffee colored - well not a dark roast more like a light roast. This was I assume due to the oil dilution, it was the consistency of coffee rather than oil.

OP, I always check after I get home. It will darken quickly, and I can't believe they don't change the filter with the oil, how cheap is that?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
"Cheap" is not all to be concerned about. Replacing filter every second time saves one half of the volume of used oil filters that go into garbage and cause polution and wasted materials/energy that goes into their production. That's what motivates Honda's maintenance schedule.

At least those of us who pretend to be concerned about the environment and worried about plastic straws :eek: should imagine the mountain of used oil filters being discarded every day and then think twice before saying filters are cheap. ;)

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The oil filter volume is approximately 0.25 quarts. That small quantity would have no effect on the color of the oil after a change.

A quart or more of the old oil remains in the engine after a change.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Filter should be changed during every single oil change. They cost $6-$10. No reason to leave out the filter. If the dealer is not going to replace your filter then look into doing it yourself
it doesn’t hurt to change the filter, but it doesn’t need to be changed. Honda has been recommending “filter ever other change“ for years and years and years. How many filter failures or bypass incidents have been reported? How close is the filter to maximum holding capacity? The filter is still perfectly serviceable in Honda applications

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
it doesn’t hurt to change the filter, but it doesn’t need to be changed. Honda has been recommending “filter ever other change“ for years and years and years. How many filter failures or bypass incidents have been reported? How close is the filter to maximum holding capacity? The filter is still perfectly serviceable in Honda applications
It’s eight dollars for peace of mind. I’ve paid more for less
Sponsored