Did I ruin my paint...

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Next time just touch it up to prevent rust and move on. You made it look much worse by increasing the area of damage.

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I’ve had small areas done for about 300. I doubt they’ll have to repaint the whole panel. Most places can blend the paint very well

tdurham19

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic sport hatch
Country flag
Did you use an electric polisher? You need a machine to buff that out after sanding. A little compound and polish will easily take that out

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Go to a body shop. They can mask that area off and spray it then clear coat it. Your sand paper approach wore away the clear coat.

For future reference, Dr. Colorchip has some good minor scratch product. One thing you always want to do with a line scratch is to just paint within the scratch itself.

At this point, you have to goto a body shop, if you want it to look factory fresh. Any more sanding by you will just make a bad repair a horrible one.

Last edited:

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Probably to get it looking new a shop will want to sand prime and repaint which will be a few grand. I've been trying to fix chips like this for a long time and have been doing it for quite awhile. I've found less is more. Dr. Colorchip is pretty good. What I do is just clean the area then apply a light amount of paint. Multiple layers of paint will sometimes darken it and make it stick out more. Also more complex attempts I've tried have also backfired. Many times the repair looks worse than the damage itself.

Probably professionals can do it better, but just clean and light paint has the best results for me.

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from experience, never use sandpaper on paint.
At most, use rubbing compound.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Even better when working with clear coat, use a polishing compound, less abrasive. I've always liked the NAPA product, which used to be called "Blue Max", liquid cleaner and polish.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Just pay a detailer to do it right this time. Then put on a PPF. Will save you money in the long run if you are trying to keep your paint pristine...
I have suntek ppf and it didn't cover that part. The part above the grill I am pretty sure is plastic anyways

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have suntek ppf and it didn't cover that part. The part above the grill I am pretty sure is plastic anyways
Interesting that they left that out. I ended up using 3M's pre-cut film for my ppf and it covers pretty much everything on the front of the car. (minus the honeycomb vents)

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Interesting that they left that out. I ended up using 3M's pre-cut film for my ppf and it covers pretty much everything on the front of the car. (minus the honeycomb vents)
Not sure if suntec is different than 3m but I was also surprised the shop didn't do the bumper. Just 1/3rd of hood and fenders for me
Sponsored