Did i pick the wrong time to purchase?

kcdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Honda Accord, '16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hi all,
I'm trying to negotiate for a Touring sedan in southeastern and northern Virginia, but am having no luck. Dealers are asking just below msrp and some don't even bother to respond to my emails. I have invoices from two members of this board who received great deals. Are the dealers not willing to budge in price because Memorial Day weekend is coming up and they don't want to let go of their top trim Civic at a cut rate price? Would I be better off waiting a week or two? It's very frustrating as dealers are usually quick to respond, but not in this case.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
Kim
Sponsored

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
I'm trying to negotiate for a Touring sedan in southeastern and northern Virginia, but am having no luck. Dealers are asking just below msrp and some don't even bother to respond to my emails. I have invoices from two members of this board who received great deals. Are the dealers not willing to budge in price because Memorial Day weekend is coming up and they don't want to let go of their top trim Civic at a cut rate price? Would I be better off waiting a week or two? It's very frustrating as dealers are usually quick to respond, but not in this case.

Thanks!
Kim
I got a ridiculously good deal, BUT there were circumstances involved as well. I had bought a crosstour from the same dealership, 6 months of non stop in the shop, they felt bad, bought it back and gave me a crazy good deal on my Civic Touring.
I'm not sure if I am one of the good deals you're talking about. But even if you went to the same dealership I went to, you could not get that deal. They did it only to make up to me for the crap with the Crosstour.
May be similar situation with others who got good deals. Bottom line the car is a hot seller, flying out the doors, so they don't have to lower the price to get you to buy one.
Bottom line, get the best deal you can, and buy it if you really want it. :)

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hi all,

Thanks!
Kim
Do you have Costco and/or a Costco membership? They have an auto purchasing program, which is how I purchased mine in San Diego. Substantial savings over sticker price. The Costco price is pre-negotiated, typically $100 over dealer invoice, there is a clear to understand Costco price list the dealer has to show you, so surprises or haggling. Saved me roughly $2k on my 2016 Touring sedan.

https://www.costcoauto.com

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have Costco and/or a Costco membership? They have an auto purchasing program, which is how I purchased mine in San Diego. Substantial savings over sticker price. The Costco price is pre-negotiated, typically $100 over dealer invoice, there is a clear to understand Costco price list the dealer has to show you, so surprises or haggling. Saved me roughly $2k on my 2016 Touring sedan.

https://www.costcoauto.com
Not possible for everyone, I have a costco membership, but the nearest participating dealership is 250 miles away in another state.
I got a great deal without that.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi all,

Thanks!
Kim
True Car is another option for those without Costco memberships.

You can see prevailing prices in your area, and also get True Car pricing from dealers in your area.

https://www.truecar.com

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all,

Thanks!
Kim
What prices were listed on the invoices you've had so far, and what dealers?

I purchased mine from Tysons in mid-December and got just under $3k under MSRP.

Granted, Tysons would be a bit of a hike for you, but it was for me too lol :)

beanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
Country flag
Hi all,

Thanks!
Kim
Try Pohanka Honda. Shouldn't be that far from you. They sold to me at below invoice.

OP
OP

kcdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. I am a Costco member but went through USAA who uses Truecar. I could try Costco but since the dealers already have my name, do you think I'd end up with the same price as through USAA?

The quotes I've received so far are:
Hendrick in Woodbridge $27,599 out the door (a member in this board paid $24,764 out the door)
Priority in Hampton $26,335 before taxes and fees (a member of this board paid $25,884 out the door at Priority's other local location)
First Team in Chesapeake $27,215 out the door

A couple of dealers selected by Truecar haven't responded with a price but want me to call them. I have not yet. One of them I won't as they don't have a very good reputation.

I don't mind paying a little more than the others but we're talking $2000 - $3000 more at the same locations.

fazekas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. I am a Costco member but went through USAA who uses Truecar. I could try Costco but since the dealers already have my name, do you think I'd end up with the same price as through USAA?

Hendrick in Woodbridge $27,599 out the door (a member in this board paid $24,764 out the door)
Priority in Hampton $26,335 before taxes and fees (a member of this board paid $25,884 out the door at Priority's other local location)

A couple of dealers selected by Truecar haven't responded with a price but want me to call them. I have not yet. One of them I won't as they don't have a very good reputation.

I don't mind paying a little more than the others but we're talking $2000 - $3000 more at the same locations.

In San Diego my 2016 Civic Touring Sedan at Costco price was $25,789 for vehicle only, the sticker price was $27k+. Out the door with tax, license, registration, and some accessories was $28,883

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

FWIW, at least in my opinion, if you're talking about just a few $100, you're probably fine. I got a quote from Hendrick for $27,695. My Touring was $26,900 OTD, then I got a $285 check b/c WV only charged $15 for new title, tags, and registration vs. the flat $300 fee the dealer charged me, so it was $26,615 OTD.

I know the other person who did Priority near you had a coupe, not a sedan though, which go for a little cheaper for Touring trims.

OP
OP

kcdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Afaik, CupOnoodle purchased a sedan, at least that what his invoice states. I wouldn't mind a couple hundred dollars or even close to a thousand, but Hendrick is almost 3 thousand and Priority is over 2 thousand when taxes and fees are factored in.

I just tried Costco and they have no dealers in my area that meet their "strict pricing requirements"

Last edited:

wldflwr08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus LS430
Try Hall Honda in Virginia Beach, VA I shopped around for like 3 weeks and they gave me the best offer

kmai007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic touring, lexus rx350
Vehicle Showcase
Try Edmunds.com price promise. Enter your zip and see what dealers are offering as no haggle pricing. Then try it again with zip codes you're willing of drive to. You get emails from participating dealers. I had the same experience in Nebraska, and bought my car in Kansas.

Got it down to 23.5k before taxes for my touring.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
In terms of "right time" or "wrong time", the "right time" is always months in the future. As you get closer to the new model year, there will be increased pressure on the dealerships. Memorial day CAN have some great deals, but you'll see even better deals later in the year (I anticipate). As numerously mentioned, always target the end of the month if possible for salespeople to hit their quotas.

In terms of the car buying services, everything I see and have read indicates that they are no longer a very good option. Your best bet is to email a TON of dealers (as far as you are willing to drive) and negotiate them against one another. You may have to be willing to drive 3 hours to get the best deal, but hey, if you can save $1,500 its worth it, right? Cars are commodities.

OP
OP

kcdh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I purchased at First Team in Chesapeake. They matched the invoice I had from Priority in Chesapeake, which priority would no longer come even close to.
Sponsored