Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
So I bought my rims when I first bought my Si, and I knew next to nothing about the different types of wheels. How weight can change handling, braking, acceleration etc. I still know very little in this aspect as I have focused more on engine/drivetrain/tuning over the last several months. I realized the rims I got are not any lighter. Starting to wonder if it makes that big of a difference, and also if the manufacturer that I bought from is a quality brand or not. I got the TSW Max matte black rims, stock sizes as I did not want to buy new tires at the time. In this size they weigh in at 29lbs. Pretty heavy I think, but I've hit a BAD pothole before with these and they didn't even flinch. Just wanted some opinions if it's worth considering getting different rims (for performance) or if I'm better off just sticking with what I've got. I don't track my car as of now, but I like to drive very spirited when in low/no traffic. Here's some pics.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I make a good choice? 20200806_185136 (1)

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I make a good choice? 20200611_212547

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I make a good choice? 20200611_212526

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I make a good choice? tsw-max-matte-black_1

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Just a side note, some lighter wheels won’t hold up to street duty so well. Like the enkie rpf1. It’s a very light wheel but not very strong. You could ball it out and get something forged but that’s thousands of dollars. If you want lighter wheels go for it but remember you gotta be careful on the streets. Simple trade off

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
My rims clock in at 20.9 lbs, roughly 9 lbs off the 2020 stock rims. I didn't feel a noticeable difference when I switched over. Maybe it'll matter more when tracking, but at least for spirited driving I don't believe it'll be a huge difference -- I believe better tires vs the stock Eagle Sport A/S would play a bigger factor here.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Just a side note, some lighter wheels won’t hold up to street duty so well. Like the enkie rpf1. It’s a very light wheel but not very strong. You could ball it out and get something forged but that’s thousands of dollars. If you want lighter wheels go for it but remember you gotta be careful on the streets. Simple trade off
That's true, and I live in a city with shitty roads so maybe this is a safer route.

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
My rims clock in at 20.9 lbs, roughly 9 lbs off the 2020 stock rims. I didn't feel a noticeable difference when I switched over. Maybe it'll matter more when tracking, but at least for spirited driving I don't believe it'll be a huge difference -- I believe better tires vs the stock Eagle Sport A/S would play a bigger factor here.
Thanks for the insight. And your'e right, after I broke in my Pirelli PZero tires there was a huge difference from the A/S Eagle Sports.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Thanks for the insight. And your'e right, after I broke in my Pirelli PZero tires there was a huge difference from the A/S Eagle Sports.
Yeah, I can't stand the noise/lack of traction from the Eagle Sports. From what I read around the forums, tires seem to be the smartest second purchase after Ktuner. I just can't justify spending $800 when mine still has decent tread. ?

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, I can't stand the noise/lack of traction from the Eagle Sports. From what I read around the forums, tires seem to be the smartest second purchase after Ktuner. I just can't justify spending $800 when mine still has decent tread. ?
Ya same here. I've wanted to get better tires for quite some time but I just couldn't justify it either. But after 34K miles the Eagle Sports were about done. I got the 27won RMM installed at the same time as the tires getting installed. So between that and tires it seemed much more solid and I could really tell the power was delivered to the ground without any loss of traction. They stick.

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have posted somewhere here ~9 months ago. Hopefully it gives some information.

Advan Racing RGIII (UBM) 18x8+37
Yokohama BlueEarthEs 235/40R18
(Total 50lbs reduction, i.e.12.5lbs/corner)
Lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit

- Because of the lighter rotational mass, can feel a better acceleration immediately.

- An observation after used (same daily routine) covering ~1200km;

Before: 8.2l/100km (from the dash)
After: 7.9l/100km (from the dash)

3.65% gas saving.

Yes, kind of pricey wheel, but it looks great and always make me smile on my face.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I make a good choice? A1E37C46-579F-4890-9A56-4121300625A3

OP
OP
Turtle_714

Turtle_714

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I have posted somewhere here ~9 months ago. Hopefully it gives some information.

Advan Racing RGIII (UBM) 18x8+37
Yokohama BlueEarthEs 235/40R18
(Total 50lbs reduction, i.e.12.5lbs/corner)
Lowered on Eibach Pro-Kit

- Because of the lighter rotational mass, can feel a better acceleration immediately.

- An observation after used (same daily routine) covering ~1200km;

Before: 8.2l/100km (from the dash)
After: 7.9l/100km (from the dash)

3.65% gas saving.

Yes, kind of pricey wheel, but it looks great and always make me smile on my face.

A1E37C46-579F-4890-9A56-4121300625A3.jpeg
Nice set up! Looks great. Thanks for the input ??