Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles

Did I get ripped off?

• Total voters

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
My dealership started giving 3yr instead of 2yr free maintenance when I bought our current Hondas. I had to remind them when we were doing the paperwork because they tried slipping 2yr in there. I'm going to have to fight them next year because I noticed last time my wife brought her crv home from the diff fluid swap I noticed the invoice cited 2 years maintenance...

I only take it to the dealer while it's free. Never after. I do hate rotating tires in the driveway with one jack though... Can't wait to move somewhere I can install a lift. I don't let the dealer touch my wheels when the car is there...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO86BY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_aD.RAb80BTQD6
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
My dealership started giving 3yr instead of 2yr free maintenance when I bought our current Hondas. I had to remind them when we were doing the paperwork because they tried slipping 2yr in there. I'm going to have to fight them next year because I noticed last time my wife brought her crv home from the diff fluid swap I noticed the invoice cited 2 years maintenance...

I only take it to the dealer while it's free. Never after. I do hate rotating tires in the driveway with one jack though... Can't wait to move somewhere I can install a lift. I don't let the dealer touch my wheels when the car is there...
if you are just doing front to back etc. you can jack up the whole side of the car if you put your jack by the front door jack point

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
if you are just doing front to back etc. you can jack up the whole side of the car if you put your jack by the front door jack point
I actually have 2 Jack's now and Jack stands, was partly referencing most people with only one jack and partly the fact that I still have to one by one lift corners. I have assymetrical tires (pretty sure that's the term) not directional so I get one side up and swap front/back, other side up and move front to back then let the rear down and bring back the other side front and swap L/R. I've gotten it down to a pretty quick rhythm and don't have to do it very often anyways.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's worth the price to buy some jack stand than to go to the dealer. Jacks stands paid by itself.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did I just get ripped off at dealership? $350 for a B-1-2-7 service. '16 Civic EX 26000Miles Capture d’écran 2018-03-20 à 11.52.32

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually have 2 Jack's now and Jack stands, was partly referencing most people with only one jack and partly the fact that I still have to one by one lift corners. I have assymetrical tires (pretty sure that's the term) not directional so I get one side up and swap front/back, other side up and move front to back then let the rear down and bring back the other side front and swap L/R. I've gotten it down to a pretty quick rhythm and don't have to do it very often anyways.
Unidirectional :p

Having 2 jacks is really a great thing for anybody doing lots of work themselves. I've got 2 of the cheap ones from Harbor Freight and I find myself using the second one a lot.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just looked my tires up to be sure. I have assymetrical like I thought, they look pretty close to symmetrical though but either one can go all 4 corners. Last time I had directional tires and could only go front to back the cheap person inside of me always felt I was losing tire life by not being able to rotate to all corners... I finally bought the nice low profile rapid pump 3 ton I think Jack, it's real nice after using the cheap $20 2 tonners that come in the kit with stands

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO when we install new tires on a car ,they should be stay on the same side of the car with rotation. Never on 4 corner.
Left front tire can go on on left rear wheels not right side.
It is because they are radial tire.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
Changing brake fluid at under 30k miles....lol. That stuff lasts like 10 years at least.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've heard that but in my 17 years of going all 4 corners and 25 years of watching my dad/grandpa/uncle go all 4 corners I've never had, or heard of them, having a problem. I always send the drive wheels straight and the others diagonal.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Changing brake fluid at under 30k miles....lol. That stuff lasts like 10 years at least.

I agree, never change it on any of my cars, more than 10 years each with more than 100,000 miles.

Soamazen23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CivicX EX
Country flag
I'm in the 3rd year of a 3-year-lease and I just went in for maintenance. 26,000 miles. 2016 Civic EX

$350?! That's more than a monthly payment, and when they read what they did... oil change, tire rotation, cabin filter change and brake fluid change... really?

If it's really this much maintenance on a Lease in the 3rd year, then what's the point? Might as well either start financing at year 2, or just start a new lease and get free maintenance as you do at the beginning?

Your thoughts??

Definitely...

Coming from someone that has worked at a dealer for 5+ years. I will only take my car in if something breaks and its covered under warranty. I have and will continue to take care of every single aspect of the maintenance spectrum. There are several things that could be done to save money. 1. Being ask for these services separate. 2. Would be to take care of some items yourself. Changing filters does not require an engineering degree. It literally takes 30 seconds or less to change your cabin and engine air filter. Use your resources. We can all learn a lot from websites such as these. Save yourself some money it'll add up in the long run.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got a similar A127 maintenance code as well on a 2016 EX-T. Basically replace engine oil, air filters, and brake (!!!) fluid. Had to look up the 7 code (change brake fluid every 3 years?) Not going to the dealer no matter what. Will have my mechanic take care of the brake fluid for far less. The rest I can do myself.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
What kind of brake fluid or brake system are they using that would require a 3 yr flush? I only ever had to do that on a 10yr+ vehicle that had gotten contaminates in the line via faulty master cylinder seal, or shitty brake fluid that had coagulated. A sealed system with DOT4 synthetic should last basically the life of the vehicle. If fluid is leaking or air getting in the lines, the seal somewhere is bad.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
$350 is steep, no doubt.

I take my daily to the dealer for a couple reasons.
1) If I turn a wrench on it, I'll need another daily (the mod bug is strong in me)
2) If I get into an accident, all of the maintenance is logged in the dealers files. Condition and maintenance got me quite a bit more from insurance when my FG2 was totaled.