Did I goof my break-in?

timeatak

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si White Sedan
Bought a new Si with 15 miles on it. I did some spirited driving right off the lot. Not like bouncing off the rev limiter or massive clutch dump launches or anything. But I did do quite a bit of quick accelerations, and bringing up the RPM's up just before red line to shift. Was just doing this occasionally, to get a feel for what the car had to offer.

The dealer told me nothing about a break in period. I only found out about this through research. If I have damaged something, what would it most likely be?
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
When I bought my Si, the dealer told me that there wasn't any "break in", and to drive it like I wanted to.

The Owners Manual says that there is a 600 mile "break in" period where you shouldn't push it past 4k, and to try to keep varying the RPMs.

I wouldn't sweat it too much, if the car is running ok, your probably golden. Just take it easy for the 600 miles. I spent my first day with my Si driving the back roads from town to town in order to exercise my engine properly.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No damage is likely, but you’ll want to stick to the break in protocol going forward.

coleman17

I knew about the break in period but would still have a little fun here and there. You likely won't have any problems, just take it easy from here on out. On the test drive, the dealer even encouraged me to "floor it" and "see what she can do". Obviously, a salesman probably doesn't care, he just wants you to like the car and buy it,

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Bought a new Si with 15 miles on it. I did some spirited driving right off the lot. Not like bouncing off the rev limiter or massive clutch dump launches or anything. But I did do quite a bit of quick accelerations, and bringing up the RPM's up just before red line to shift. Was just doing this occasionally, to get a feel for what the car had to offer.

The dealer told me nothing about a break in period. I only found out about this through research. If I have damaged something, what would it most likely be?

Don’t give it another thought you are fine.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag

Drive it like you stole it! No worries, just do your 1st oil change at 1K. Happy driving!

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I have a different sort of question regarding break-in:

So those first 600 miles should be varying the gears and RPM's and such, but what if you buy it and make a 600-mile road trip all in 6th gear?

What I'm really asking is: did I mess up my break-in period, or could I sort of just treat it like "I still haven't done the break-in period yet, and if I vary my driving for the next 600 miles then all will be good." ??

I hope that makes sense.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a different sort of question regarding break-in:

So those first 600 miles should be varying the gears and RPM's and such, but what if you buy it and make a 600-mile road trip all in 6th gear?

What I'm really asking is: did I mess up my break-in period, or could I sort of just treat it like "I still haven't done the break-in period yet, and if I vary my driving for the next 600 miles then all will be good." ??

I hope that makes sense.
It does to me...

If you bought your car at a dealer 600 miles away and drove it on the interstate, sitting in 6th gear the whole way essentially... they you didn't do many gear changes to break in the clutch and bed it to the flywheel. You likely didn't use the brake much to bed the pads into the rotors. Vit did stick a brand new '17 Si on his dyno and ran it on 87 octane, then had it slip it's clutch running 93 octane. It was well inside it's break-in period, however.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It does to me...

If you bought your car at a dealer 600 miles away and drove it on the interstate, sitting in 6th gear the whole way essentially... they you didn't do many gear changes to break in the clutch and bed it to the flywheel. You likely didn't use the brake much to bed the pads into the rotors. Vit did stick a brand new '17 Si on his dyno and ran it on 87 octane, then had it slip it's clutch running 93 octane. It was well inside it's break-in period, however.
Okay, so I know it doesn't break it in then, but did I essentially "ruin" my break-in period? Or would I just have to still spend a bunch of miles driving in the city to balance everything out afterward and I'll be good?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay, so I know it doesn't break it in then, but did I essentially "ruin" my break-in period? Or would I just have to still spend a bunch of miles driving in the city to balance everything out afterward and I'll be good?
No, I wouldn't consider it ruined. I'd say that because some cyclic things didn't happen so much based on your driving style... it's just going to take longer to get things, like your clutch getting bedded, to happen. I don't think, in any way, anything is 'ruined'.

BIGBLUESI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
You should be OK. Just go easy as others have mentioned above.I went a little bit higher on the RPM recommendation with 300 miles and no problems.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's probably totally ruined. I will take it off your hands.
Thanks, asshat.

I didn't ask if the car was ruined. I was asking if one falters the break-in period by not mixing up the driving. Everywhere they say to vary things like the RPM's, speeds and gears, but they don't say what happens if you don't. In other words, does it just "delay" the break-in, or are you going through that period and not doing as suggested without any possible reproach?

And responses such as yours or "people don't break in engines" are not helpful to what it is that I'm asking.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
• During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation, avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as not to damage the engine or powertrain.
• Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km). You should also follow this when the brake pads are replaced.

Straight from the owners manual.

Also its more for the clutch than for the engine.
Sponsored