Did Honda redesign the AC system for 2019+?

Skrilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS E90
Country flag
S'up? I'm considering buying a 2019 Si. Based on the threads I've read, a lot of you are still having issues getting Honda to cover your AC repairs under warranty, even after the extended AC warranty came out. Sometimes they claim it was your fault, due to rock damage? That's some shady shit. Anyway, for those of you who DID get it covered, did they install newly designed parts, or just the same stuff? I would assume that Honda eventually improved the parts, right? At least that's what a smart business would do. Anyone know if and when that happened?
Sponsored

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
As a mechanic that has worked on a lot of civics for the condensers I had this very same concern buying my 19 si coupe. From what I was told at my local dealer, is they revised the condenser build quality. There shouldn't be any issues like the older ones. However as I was still sort of a skeptic I negotiated the honda plus warranty that covers powertrain drivetrain a/c etc.. for the 7 years 130,000 kms to be included into my deal. I plan on keeping this car as long as it will last me, so this warranty is a serious peace of mind. Obviously it doesnt cover absolutely everything, but it does cover a lot.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
^yes^.

My understanding is that the condenser is a new design. But the vulnerability to damage from road debris/rocks remains the same. Many folks (including myself) have installed gloss black 'gutter guard' to minimize this risk.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
"My understanding is that the condenser is a new design."

The part wasn't manufactured to specification. A vendor supplied the finished part to Honda.

The new part may be a new design but more likely Honda is using the original design with a new vendor.

It seems that Honda may not be as diligent in checking the quality of parts from vendors.

Honda's been building vehicles with condensers for many years. So, they know good design. Apparently the parts vendor let them down and they didn't recognize it before many cars were built.

OP
OP

Skrilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
POS E90
Country flag
Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful! Do you think the same is true for the oil dilution issue? Honda quietly fixed it without revealing how or when?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful! Do you think the same is true for the oil dilution issue? Honda quietly fixed it without revealing how or when?
No. The best they're going to do probably until the next generation is the software update to change the cold start idle fuel injection profile and prevent the driver from using heat before the engine is warm.

2019's all have this software update from the factory.
Sponsored