I'm always ready, let's go!
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Stick with the Si. Keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for.
Sponsored

Fredline

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mazda Miata MX-5
Country flag
I have the exact same problem, low SI inventory and none in the color I want. So I test drove a '19 Accord 1.5 MT just few weeks ago. I was pretty disappointed in the power or lack there of. My '17 4 door Civic EX-L felt quicker for sure.
The interior was nice though, but I would miss the sunroof.

EdwinDrn

First Name
Edwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, 19' Civic Si
Country flag
Only if they were V6's like several years ago.. Those days are long gone! Those were super fun.

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
I've tested the Civic Si and both Accord Sports with 6MT. I've also driven the Sport 2.0T with the 10AT. I agree with the others that the Accord Sport 1.5T isn't worth it unless you really need the space. Since you wanted the Civic Si initially, I suspect you don't need the space, so done and done!

The Accord Sport 2.0T is, IMO, a different beast. It's much better equipped than the 1.5T, and that engine is fantastic. The 6MT is excellent, and though it pains me to write this, the 10AT is great too, and a worthy choice for enthusiasts. It drives much like my 2010 TSX, but with the turbo power of my old Saab 9-5 Aero. IMO, it should have an LSD and at least two damper modes, like a proper Accord Si, but it's still a very impressive package and solid value. If it weren't so huge, I suspect the Accord Sport 2.0T would be a no-brainer for me, but I'm much more likely to go with the Civic Si to replace my Acura.

BTW, I tested the Accord Sport 2.0T with 6MT the day after I drove a Genesis G70 Sport M/T, and the Honda's engine and transmission are much better IMO. The Accord can't match the handling of the RWD Genesis with its LSD, of course, but it still has great handling for a mid-sized sedan.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I really enjoyed driving the 2.0T Accord. The HP/TQ curve reminds me of the MS3 I drove for many years. Despite being less refined, the Si is far more driver focused, with (surprisingly) a better audio package over the Accord Sport's. The bolstered seating, bi-mode suspension, LSD, and 6MT's shorter throws make it a little more satisfying to drive aggressively, despite the huge torque deficit.

The one thing I'll give to the Accord is the rear passenger room and trunk. It's noticeably bigger than my Si, and would be a strong consideration for my wife and our growing family. I do feel the 1.5T is adequate in stock form. And while it would never surpass the output of the 2.0T, it does respond much more favorably to basic mods. A 1.5T Accord with a base tune would be nearly perfect for the daily grind. IMHO.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I think the best way to answer your question is to ask yourself: How bad do you really want the Si and what are the reasons you want it? If it's for the sportiness and features (most importantly the LSD) you will be missing out on with the Accord sport, then hold out for the Si. My personal advice is to not make any compromises on the car you want (as long as it's realistically affordable). This is especially true if this is going to be a car you will drive a lot and will own for long time.Compromising will only result in you getting a car that was your second choice, and that you didn't really want in the first place.

I also considered getting the Accord sport with the 6MT simply because it seemed a little bit more refined than the Si but was still (somewhat) sporty. In my heart I knew I wanted the Si though and would have kicked myself in the ass if I ended up going with the Accord because I would have a car that really wasn't what I wanted. I ended up getting a 2020 si and couldn't be happier with my decision. Go with your gut! :thumbsup:
Did you drive the Accord manual with the 2.0 ? If so, how does the shifter compare to the SI ?

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
I've tested the Civic Si and both Accord Sports with 6MT. I've also driven the Sport 2.0T with the 10AT. I agree with the others that the Accord Sport 1.5T isn't worth it unless you really need the space. Since you wanted the Civic Si initially, I suspect you don't need the space, so done and done!

The Accord Sport 2.0T is, IMO, a different beast. It's much better equipped than the 1.5T, and that engine is fantastic. The 6MT is excellent, and though it pains me to write this, the 10AT is great too, and a worthy choice for enthusiasts. It drives much like my 2010 TSX, but with the turbo power of my old Saab 9-5 Aero. IMO, it should have an LSD and at least two damper modes, like a proper Accord Si, but it's still a very impressive package and solid value. If it weren't so huge, I suspect the Accord Sport 2.0T would be a no-brainer for me, but I'm much more likely to go with the Civic Si to replace my Acura.

BTW, I tested the Accord Sport 2.0T with 6MT the day after I drove a Genesis G70 Sport M/T, and the Honda's engine and transmission are much better IMO. The Accord can't match the handling of the RWD Genesis with its LSD, of course, but it still has great handling for a mid-sized sedan.
The thing that bothers me about the SI is not having a spare tire. I don't believe the G70 has one either and I am considering that as well as a new SI. Does the Accord Sport 2.0 manual have a spare tire? And how does the Accord feel shifting gears compared to the SI ? And doesn't the Accord Sport 2.0 run on regular grade gas?

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After driving the 1.5t, 2.0t and hybrid, I’m glad I got my Si. I was expecting so much more from the 2.0L. The hybrid felt better then the 1.5t sport. It was a touring hybrid but hybrid none the less.

Stick to the Si, you won’t be disappointed.

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
If you want a driver oriented car, wait and keep looking for the Si. Had the car for over a year and half and love it! The Si is worth the wait:)

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
I test drove the 2.0T sport in manual, great car but it felt huge compared to the sport hatch i was driving at the time. Too long for me..

Aero2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Country flag
The thing that bothers me about the SI is not having a spare tire. I don't believe the G70 has one either and I am considering that as well as a new SI. Does the Accord Sport 2.0 manual have a spare tire? And how does the Accord feel shifting gears compared to the SI ? And doesn't the Accord Sport 2.0 run on regular grade gas?
I don't know about the spare tire or fuel issues, but I liked the Accord's shifter. I didn't drive it back-to-back with the Si, but my not-so-reliable recollection is that the Accord's shifter has slightly longer throws, and the clutch is a little heavier. The Si has a very light clutch, which I like. I felt perfectly comfortable driving both. I wouldn't decide between the two based on shifter feel, that's for sure.

I've also driven the G70, both AWD and RWD/MT versions. It's a fantastic car, but unfortunately Car & Driver are correct that the MT isn't the best option here. The clutch is fine, but the shifter is pretty bad. It isn't exactly a Honda. Nor is the engine for that matter, but it's good. I loved the RWD version's handling, but the AWD is excellent too and a better overall car IMO.

FWIW, I recently drove a 2.0T/AWD Kia Stinger, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't on my radar because I thought it was so huge, but its looks are deceiving; it's actually shorter than the Accord. Unfortunately it lacks FCW and AEB, but I suspect it will get both for 2021, hopefully along with the new corporate 2.5T/8DCT drivetrain that's going into the Sonata N-Line and G70. It drives well and has a really nice vibe. For whatever reason, it felt right, and if it gets those changes without a huge price increase, I might do it. I've reluctantly decided that I want a little more luxury than the Si offers, and the Stinger works. (But here's to hoping the upcoming Acura TLX is even better!)

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If they still made the Accord in a coupe, I would have taken that over the Si that I have. Would have looked awesome as a coupe. And I would have picked the 2.0L turbo. But I definitely dont regret my purchase. I love my Si.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
500$ more for alot less car imo. Its the same chassis just weighs more and has more room. Less features and no lsd. Hold out for the car you want imo.
Is it the same chassis though?
Sponsored