Did Amsoil Synchromesh make your car less responsive?

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Hi All, I replaced my transmission fluid with Amsoil for it’s second change. The first change at 30k was done with Honda fluid. The stock fluid does need to be changed out every 30k. You can tell certain gears seem to be less smooth and more notchy. That being said, I felt my transmission had pretty great shifting once broken in. My main interest for switching was increased protection and longevity of the fluid. I was also curious if it would feel different. I will say that yes it makes each arrival in gear smoother. However, my car feels noticeably more sluggish in terms of throttle response and engine response. It’s as if the gears are being dragged through molasses and there is noticeably more resistance in the drivetrain. I had just changed to lighter wheels prior to this and a portion of the gain I made in acceleration response is now gone. Has anyone else noticed this?
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
It is heavier oil than Honda genuine, but it shouldn’t be slowing the car down.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It is heavier oil than Honda genuine, but it shouldn’t be slowing the car down.
I don't think I felt a difference when I switched to synchromesh...

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
No difference for me in engine response. I need to shift WAY slower in the winter until trans gets up to temp though.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'm just gonna keep parroting the same thing - Slow, notchy shifting in my car was fixed when I replaced the OEM clutch that, upon inspection, appeared to be completely lacking lubricant causing it to not fully disengage from the flywheel/pressure plate.

Even with Amsoil and in 20F weather I can shift almost entirely like normal when cold.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I changed to amsoil syncromesh at like 12k with spec 2+ clutch and steel smf. It felt better but not an apples to apples comparison as I did clutch and flywheel at same time. I'm going to try gm syncromesh in spring because that's what the internet recommends lol. Check out these vids. I figure it's worth a shot to see for myself.

Sponsored