Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER???

Ars3nd

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey there, I'm running into an issue that I'm guessing has to do with the wire harness attached to the e-brake actuator, but I'm not entirely sure what more I can do, I've attempted to re-seat it, and just in case I swapped the position of where the wires are but it remains throwing that code and the brake is not functioning when I apply the parking brake. It functions on the passenger rear, but not the driver rear.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? I tried to take it to the dealership and they hit me with a quote of $1500 to replace both the calipers and bleed the system. They also had the balls to tell me about how they don't understand how anyone could swap the brakes on their own without the HDS computer, as it's absolutely necessary and will break the car if you don't. So Honda now monopolizes brake jobs too? I refuse to believe that...

Anyway! Here are some pics of what's coming up on my Dash, and they were willing to tell me the Code when I left the dealership --> C1110 - 13 ; "Left rear electronic parking brake actuator circuit open"

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? 7J6Od0O

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? b2JdYO

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? yWwhz84

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? aqTy49c

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? DNELoqC

Last edited:

Type Rocket

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP FK8 #2650
Country flag
I also did a rear rotor and pad swap but did not run into this, so access to whatever computer they mentioned is NOT mandatory. I think you probably kinked a wire or might have inadvertently pulled something loose on yours. I would compare left and right sides with attention to details to try to determine where the problem lies. Worst case you may have to replace a shorted wire harness or possibly the actuator on the left side. That repair quote from the dealer is BS.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? 15518237394054206305738435388857

Last edited:

Hmac111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic, Mitsubishi Mirage
Country flag
I know this is 2 months later so you've likely resolved your problem but I had a similar issue, finally had to take it into dealership and turned out to be a broken harness.... was told by mechanic that theyre ridiculously easy to break if not super careful, they've broken many themselves when honda changed to the electronic e brake....thankfully its apparently 30ish bucks for the part and a half hour of labour.

Davgto25

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext and 2019 Rdx aspec
Country flag
Hey there, I'm running into an issue that I'm guessing has to do with the wire harness attached to the e-brake actuator, but I'm not entirely sure what more I can do, I've attempted to re-seat it, and just in case I swapped the position of where the wires are but it remains throwing that code and the brake is not functioning when I apply the parking brake. It functions on the passenger rear, but not the driver rear.

Can anyone give me any insight on this? I tried to take it to the dealership and they hit me with a quote of $1500 to replace both the calipers and bleed the system. They also had the balls to tell me about how they don't understand how anyone could swap the brakes on their own without the HDS computer, as it's absolutely necessary and will break the car if you don't. So Honda now monopolizes brake jobs too? I refuse to believe that...

Anyway! Here are some pics of what's coming up on my Dash, and they were willing to tell me the Code when I left the dealership --> C1110 - 13 ; "Left rear electronic parking brake actuator circuit open"

7J6Od0O.jpg

b2JdYOg.jpg

yWwhz84.jpg

aqTy49c.jpg

DNELoqC.jpg

7J6Od0O.jpg

b2JdYOg.jpg

yWwhz84.jpg

aqTy49c.jpg

DNELoqC.jpg
Did you figure out your problem I'm running into the same problem my self . I did a rear brake pad exchange and after resulted with the dash board codes . The dealer told me I fuck up the driver rear caliper ? Any advice of what you did with yours ? I actually exchange the whole caliper already but still with the codes ?

frtorres87

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I also did a rear rotor and pad swap but did not run into this, so access to whatever computer they mentioned is NOT mandatory. I think you probably kinked a wire or might have inadvertently pulled something loose on yours. I would compare left and right sides with attention to details to try to determine where the problem lies. Worst case you may have to replace a shorted wire harness or possibly the actuator on the left side. That repair quote from the dealer is BS.

15518237394054206305738435388857.jpg
Where did you purchase those rear rotors?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Did you figure out your problem I'm running into the same problem my self . I did a rear brake pad exchange and after resulted with the dash board codes . The dealer told me I fuck up the driver rear caliper ? Any advice of what you did with yours ? I actually exchange the whole caliper already but still with the codes ?
the post right above yours says to replace a $30 harness for the ebrake. Next logical step for you since you've already replaced the caliper.

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag
Can someone post a picture of the wiring harness and also the part number for those of us who will be changing pads in the near future?

garym0510

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX with Sensing
Country flag
Running into the same exact problem. I just recieved the obd2 computer to try to do the put brake into maintenance mode but it said the exact thing yours does. Open circuit. Driver side. Did you figure out the fix to this. I've checked my harnesses all are attached and pretty sure i didnt break or pull any but I will replace it rather than pay 1500 dollars.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? Screenshot_20200606-184025_Autel MaxiAP200

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Running into the same exact problem. I just recieved the obd2 computer to try to do the put brake into maintenance mode but it said the exact thing yours does. Open circuit. Driver side. Did you figure out the fix to this. I've checked my harnesses all are attached and pretty sure i didnt break or pull any but I will replace it rather than pay 1500 dollars.

Screenshot_20200606-184025_Autel MaxiAP200.jpg

This is a very real problem if you do not service your brakes in maintenance mode. SOME people get lucky, and others do not. It usually results in an entire caliper replacement.

It is wildly encouraged to service your rear brake pads in maintenance mode.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
This is a very real problem if you do not service your brakes in maintenance mode. SOME people get lucky, and others do not. It usually results in an entire caliper replacement.

It is wildly encouraged to service your rear brake pads in maintenance mode.
how do you enable maintenance mode?

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
There is an OBD2 scanner sold on Amazon for 60 bucks. If I am not mistaken it is an Autel 2000 (I have one) The model I wrote here may be off a bit..... However, I can post the correct one later. This OBD2 scanner puts the rear parking brakes into maintenance mode.

Edit:

This is what I purchased and works like a charm!

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AP200-Bluetooth-Professional-Automotive/dp/B07QD4GZW4

Thanks .. what is the purpose of maintenance mode? Cut the electricity in the harness not to burn out something?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP: that dealer is obviously not interested in you, your safety, or even your issue. You have a very serious (potentially) brake issue and they want to get paid to replace your tires and cabin air filter. Take it to another dealer that isn't so motivated to steal your money and is more motivated to resolve your issue in a fair way.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks .. what is the purpose of maintenance mode? Cut the electricity in the harness not to burn out something?

It’s to retract the piston inside and then properly engage the piston against the brake pad when the job is completed (must be taken out of maintenance mode only after the brake pads are installed and the caliper is completely bolted on)

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase