Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER???

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It’s to retract the piston inside and then properly engage the piston against the brake pad when the job is completed (must be taken out of maintenance mode only after the brake pads are installed and the caliper is completely bolted on)
The Honda service manual has a written procedure to do this manually without an HDS or any form of scanner. You just follow the steps for engaging/disengaging the brake in order, and manually retract the piston with a tool.

If it wasn't an accepted and successful method, why would Honda write it in the service manual?
Sponsored

Jay SX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I've seen so many youtube and "how to" that just say use a wind back tool to retract the rear piston. If you do this with out removing the electronic parking brake motor you are very likely to cause this problem. If you think about it you are trying to force the electronic motor into something it does not want to do. The motor is held on by two allen key bolts and only takes five extra minutes to do, then you can use a torx socket to wind the calliper shaft into a safe position.

FK8Guy

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR FK8
Country flag
It’s to retract the piston inside and then properly engage the piston against the brake pad when the job is completed (must be taken out of maintenance mode only after the brake pads are installed and the caliper is completely bolted on)
Thats cool so no need to remove the brake fluid cap in the engine bay and force the brake caliper back with a clamp?

So once you hook up your obd2 computer scanner to go into maintenance mode that retracts the piston which will in turn make it so you can easily remove the pads and install new pads?

So how are people damaging the piston/caliper? Manually pushing the piston inside the caliper and then causing some sort of short in the harness?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I've seen so many youtube and "how to" that just say use a wind back tool to retract the rear piston. If you do this with out removing the electronic parking brake motor you are very likely to cause this problem. If you think about it you are trying to force the electronic motor into something it does not want to do. The motor is held on by two allen key bolts and only takes five extra minutes to do, then you can use a torx socket to wind the calliper shaft into a safe position.
That's the secret. The service manual tells you to remove the actuator and screw the spindle back in off of the caliper. Then you can go about your normal brake service with the caliper, reinstalling the now-fully-recessed actuator to the now-fully-recessed piston.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? 1592066074316

And then to re-adjust the system you simply apply and release the parking brake.

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? 1592066126513

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
That's the secret. The service manual tells you to remove the actuator and screw the spindle back in off of the caliper. Then you can go about your normal brake service with the caliper, reinstalling the now-fully-recessed actuator to the now-fully-recessed piston.

1592066074316.png

And then to re-adjust the system you simply apply and release the parking brake.

1592066126513.png
this works just fine.

I did it 6 hours ago. No need for “maintenance mode” or anything, just an E11 Torx socket and a couple minutes of extra work

Koston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Country flag
There’s a very good walkthrough guide on Facebook

it’s in the FK8 product review group
(It won’t let me share the link)

RADR

First Name
Roshawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Ran into this same issue replaced rear brake pad and got error took to dealership and was told need to replace harness part# 47510-tgh-a03 this is for a civic type r. Simple to do on your own part is 95 bucks online but not sure if you need the Honda scan tool to ops check part after install. I did not have to replace mine and I did not damage it once the dealer flashed code when I took the car back to do the work on my own code has yet to return and has been functional while having the code and also after code left functions normal

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I’m sure everyone’s is different. I did this in 2018 with a rear brake job. Got the error. Readjusted my torq spec on the replaced spindle. It received the error for about 3 days and eventually the parking brake spun itself back into the correct position. I’m not the only one here that this happened to with eventually the system reaching the correct point.

It’s a redneck method but it did work eventually :p next time around I knew how to do it properly and never ran into it again

iDriveHonda

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic LX 2018
Country flag
I am facing the same scan code and dash light message.

My mechanic is guessing that replacing the parking brake actuator will solve this problem.

Is this a common known fix?

Honda Civic 10th gen Did a rear rotor swap, Electronic Brake Problem -- Dealership says REPLACE ENTIRE CALIPER??? scancodeJuly18thcivicParkbrakeima

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I am facing the same scan code and dash light message.

My mechanic is guessing that replacing the parking brake actuator will solve this problem.

Is this a common known fix?

scancodeJuly18thcivicParkbrakeimage.jpeg
Open circuit sounds like the wiring harness got damaged if a brake job was done recently.

Could test the actuator for continuity between the pins to confirm?

Waleed94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic LX sedan
Country flag
Probably damaged the wire harness. I did my rear brakes yesterday using a foxwell nt710, even in service mode I had the same issue, but when I drove it and cleared the codes it was fine. These wire harnesses are fragile and I took care to avoid putting too much strain on them
Sponsored