Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update @ 54K.

Been a while since I've updated this thread. Few new things since my last post:
  • TRS Morimoto HID kit
  • TSP Stage 1 Tune

TRS Morimoto HID Kit

One of my biggest gripes coming from the Speed 3 to the Civic was the lack of HIDs. I fixed that last year with a Morimoto HID Kit from The Retrofit Source. I've been running this kit for around 18 months. Here are my impressions so far:

• Complete "drop-in" kit including bulbs, ballasts, wiring harness, adapters and fuses. All I supplied was heavy duty double sided tape and wire ties.
  • Great light output with matching color to the LED side markers.
Dislikes:
  • While forward visibility is excellent, output to the L/R sides is very limited.
For the price, I'm extremely impressed with this kit. I would consider this a must-have for 17-19 Si owners.

Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si Civic_Si_HID_3

Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si Civic_Si_HID_2

Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si Civic_Si_HID_4

TSP Stage 1 Tune

As mentioned in the previous post, my last oil analysis was very favorable on the K-Tuner base maps. I decided to take the plunge and try out the TSP Stage 1 tune.

• Responsive throttle input (at the expense of fuel economy).
Dislikes:
  • No adjustable throttle padding or throttle response.
  • Map 3 improvements are negligible over Map 2 on 91 octane.

I very much enjoy the K-Tuner base maps. But I have to admit that I really enjoy the smooth power delivery from TSP. I was very used to power falling flat after 5.5K RPMs. TSP builds boost all the way to 6K. Unlike some, I am not experiencing clutch slip on Map 2 or Map 3. Though there's plenty of wheel slip to accompany this tune. :cool:

Fuel economy definitely took a hit in all environments except when cruising. I am chalking it up to the overly aggressive throttle mapping. That said, the tune is not resulting in any noticeable accelerated wear. So I'll continue to run on Map 2 until a better option comes along.

Latest analysis on TSP Stage 1, driven primarily on Map 2:

Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si UOA_2020-11-24

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update at 60K:

Body Alignment Issues - Round 2

Took the car to the dealer due to the front grill separating from the bumper. Upon closer inspection, and thanks to the information in this thread, it appears the retaining tabs have begun to fail and no longer hold the passenger side of the grill in place. I have had the bumper removed twice on this car - both by the dealer. And I've asked they take this to Honda for consideration (which they agreed to do). I'll hear back next week on the outcome.

Few pictures of the area:
Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si 1617862311337

Honda Civic 10th gen Design's Long Term Ownership Thread - 2017 Si 1617862333259

TSP Update

Although enjoyable, I have since removed the TSP tune and switched back to the KTuner base map due to the overly aggressive (and non-adjustable) throttle. The power delivery is smooth and much more linear, but fuel economy dipped 15% compared to that of KTuner. I will be considering the Phearable tune down the road, providing they offer stock throttle response.

It's important to note that my fuel trims and KR were very consistent (much like that of the K-Tuner base map). No clutch slip or any other issues to report.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Although enjoyable, I have since removed the TSP tune and switched back to the KTuner base map due to the overly aggressive (and non-adjustable) throttle. The power delivery is smooth and much more linear, but fuel economy dipped 15% compared to that of KTuner. I will be considering the Phearable tune down the road, providing they offer stock throttle response.

It's important to note that my fuel trims and KR were very consistent (much like that of the K-Tuner base map). No clutch slip or any other issues to report.
You need to keep up with KTuner updates. :cool: Throttle response and throttle padding are adjustable on OTS tunes. Get the latest software and apply the new settings to your TSP tune.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...es-throttle-responsiveness-and-padding.55955/

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update at 94K.

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread so I thought it would be a good time to share an update. Overall the car is running great. Just a few changes over the year:

Leather Armrests

After nearly a year on backorder my front and rear door armrests came in. The online dealer honored the original price of $22.00 each from the 2018 Insight catalog ($96 shipped). Installation isn't horrible but requires a bit of patience to remove the door liners. I followed the tutorials below.

The armrests themselves are connected by a few screws and plastic clips. This DIY shows how to remove them:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/door-lining-panel-removal-armrest-install.40522/

Hood Stand Grommet

This little plastic part is annoying. Came apart around 10K miles ago and am finally getting around to ordering (Part # 91604-SNA-003). If left unchecked, the hood stand prop eventually can become dislodged and/or be a real pain to disengage from the hood. A long overdue replacement @ just $2.

Fuel Door Actuator

Yesterday, began noticing a buzzing noise coming from the fuel door when locking the car. After a bit of research I narrowed it down to the fuel door actuator that controls the lock assembly. Essentially, there's a plastic gear that spins the lock into the lock/unlock position. As the teeth of the gears wear down, they can "slip" past the lock mechanism which causes the buzzing noise. Apparently a common problem on the 10th gens, but an easy fix.

Unfortunately, the dealer wants $80 for the actuator. Online you can get it for $35, or $42 shipped. Part number = 74700-TBA-A02. In the meantime, I'll remove the actuator's electrical connector until the replacement arrives sometime next week.

Here's a great reference on the issue:

Last edited:

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update @ 98K.

Unsurprisingly, the fuel door actuator is on backorder with no ETA. Dealer canceled my order until there's an update on availability. For now, I'm just leaving unplugged until the part is once again restocked.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update @ 103K

Began experiencing some clutch slip @ 23 PSI running the K-Tuner base map. It's not bad, but enough to remind me that this clutch can only hold power 10-15% above stock - reliably that is.

Clutch continues to engage just fine. Grabs and holds as the pedal releases midrange. Engagement from a stop is still mostly smooth. So I'll chalk it up to a mildly worn pressure plate for now. If the slip continues at lower PSI, I'll plan to replace with the Exedy Stage 1 clutch or the RV6/Exedy CTR clutch retrofit. The latter being the preferred choice with the larger surface area.

Next up will be the 108K maintenance interval which calls for a full swap of most fluids and the plugs. That's it for now. Thanks for reading!

Stockysi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Update @ 98K.

Unsurprisingly, the fuel door actuator is on backorder with no ETA. Dealer canceled my order until there's an update on availability. For now, I'm just leaving unplugged until the part is once again restocked.
Have you been able to locate the part?
74700tbga02

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Update at 107K.

Got the dreaded P019d/e code today (irregular AFR in cylinder). STFT & LTFT are both double digit negative which leads me to believe I have a leaking injector.

I'm not sure if Honda will cover this failure at the higher mileage. But I’ll be talking to the dealer for diagnosis and will report back.

More on the issue here:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/running-lean-pls-help.71655/post-1098979

Last edited:
OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Quick update. Dealer confirmed the #3 injector is failing. However, Honda has discontinued the injector and replaced with part #06160-5PA-305. This injector is on backorder with no ETA. So I'll be waiting patiently for a new injector to be available.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not great.

I looked at the local salvage yards down in Jacksonville for the sake of fun and there aren’t any 10th gens/CRVs/Accords to snag anything from. I planned a trip in the coming days and would have sent you a care package if I could have.

I would never of thought such a critical item would be unavailable. DI or no… injectors go out in cars all the time. At least they did on my crappy old Nissans.

I hope the drought ends for you soon.

OP
OP

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Thanks man. So far I'm just driving easy and watching fuel trims. Dealer is probably sick of me calling daily. :D
Sponsored