Designing lower control arm mounted air deflectors for brake cooling

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Really love this. I bet this could be 2-fold and help with intake temps if the side garnishes on the front bumper were opened up as vents to get a cross breeze almost like the FK8's. Good stuff man!

burgermeister

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
I bet they work well. I ran Porsche 993 air deflectors on my 911 for a decade of track use, and they did a dandy job keeping the brakes cool. The 993 pieces used to be semi-cheap (30 ea), might even be adaptable to the Civic. Many folks just zip tied them to the control arm ... mine were a little more elaborately attached, but I don't have any pictures handy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Designing lower control arm mounted air deflectors for brake cooling Screenshot from 2021-02-14 14-30-31

Honda Civic 10th gen Designing lower control arm mounted air deflectors for brake cooling Screenshot from 2021-02-14 14-30-22

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really love this. I bet this could be 2-fold and help with intake temps if the side garnishes on the front bumper were opened up as vents to get a cross breeze almost like the FK8's. Good stuff man!
Wouldn't want to open those, intake temps are fine as is and opening those vents would just create a TON of drag.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bet they work well. I ran Porsche 993 air deflectors on my 911 for a decade of track use, and they did a dandy job keeping the brakes cool. The 993 pieces used to be semi-cheap (30 ea), might even be adaptable to the Civic. Many folks just zip tied them to the control arm ... mine were a little more elaborately attached, but I don't have any pictures handy.

Screenshot from 2021-02-14 14-30-31.png

Screenshot from 2021-02-14 14-30-22.png
These were a big inspiration for my project.

OP
OP
teders

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@teders how did these end up working out? Did they stay in place? Any sense of whether they helped out?
Yep, they've been on the car since February this year no problems, and they actually work!

Disclaimer though, I'm not sure if they are making the "cooling difference" which solved my brake over heating problem. I got the BBK and the problem went away. However, I know the deflectors are doing their job of directing air to the rotors. My front wheels stay cleaner MUCH longer than my back wheels, and much longer than they used to before. Air is definitely pushing out all the brake dust, so I have to imagine there is more airflow in general and so low cooling.
Sponsored