derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Hi All,

Back in December 2016, VW bought back my 2012 Golf TDI 4dr 6MT because of the dieselgate. The return price was very close to what I paid about 1.5 years prior so it was a no brainer for me to trade it in. I was left with figuring out what to replace my commuter with and I learned about the new Hatches with optional sensing. I figured that in the future, this would be a "want" feature on cars so I hunted for an EX with sensing hatch. I didn't need the extra EX-L stuff or splurge for the touring since I was planning to throw a ton of miles on this car. Since the hatch was still relatively new, I was having a hard time finding an EX w/ sensing. Finally at the end of March 2017, I was able to purchase one. So this is a mini-journal of my little commuter as I know for a fact I can't leave things 100% stock. It will be far more minimal in modifications as the garage queen takes majority of that budget. :) I'll be looking for mostly OEM+ style mods.

#Current Mod List (last updated 2021-10-30)
## Exterior
-Honda ASEAN Clear Side Markers
-Honda OE Touring LED headlights with conversion harness
-Honda OE Sport Gloss black window trim
-Honda OE Si wheels
-Honda Access Sport window visors
-Suntek Paint Protection Film (Whole Front end)
-Suntek Carbon 35% Tint

## Interior
-Honda OE EX-L Leather Shift Knob
-Honda OE EX-L Leather Steering Wheel
-Honda OE 2019 updated cupholder

##Drivetrain
-AFE drop-in dry filter

## Misc
-Honda OE Fuel filler cover *17666-TGG-A01*
Valentine1 Hardwired
BlackVue 590S Hardwired

Day 1.
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter f4wDIPJl

Current:
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter BWQcWQ6

On another note:

My current garage queen:
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter igmZgjl

old 2004 BMW 330i performance package HPDE fun car
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter HHy6tfAl

old 1993 civic coupe turbo:
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter Ri8V8Hll

Cheers!

Last edited:

M1joachim

New Honda owner!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
LED interior lights are something i've been considering...where you order yours from?

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter ZaYbNLzl

Tonight I installed OE Honda Clears from the ASEAN market. It was very simple. 2 screws per side. US bulb sockets required 2 tabs to be removed on each side. It probably took me 15 minutes at most and I am very happy with the outcome.

Up Till Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback, 2000 Honda S2000
Your future mods are exactly what I want to do to my EX, haha. What's the difference with EX L shift knob? I thought they were the same. I didn't know they sold the sport window trims. Have you thought about getting the sport's spoiler kit?

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Your future mods are exactly what I want to do to my EX, haha. What's the difference with EX L shift knob? I thought they were the same. I didn't know they sold the sport window trims. Have you thought about getting the sport's spoiler kit?

EX doesn't have a leather shift knob. :(

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter umYI6Vvl

As for the spoiler, I'm not sure. I already scrap going up my parents driveway and it is the driveway I usually do car maintenance/mods at. I'm not sure if I want to deal with lower ground clearance just yet. I might look into the Si lip which looks like the Honda accessory red lip but in black.

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Tint and Clear Bra has been installed.

Suntek PPF for the whole front end.
Suntek Carbon 35%

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter rDxSEa0l

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter atw9ucgl

I just got my box of OE parts. Took awhile since the dealership had to order it from the Parts Distribution Center.
Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter uqwbufGl

-Set of OE Gloss Black window trim from the Hatch Sport/SportTouring
-Leather Steering Wheel Grip
-Leather Shift Knob

I was a bit concern on how to remove the rear window garnish attached to the rear quarter panel. I inspected the sport garnish and see its just 3 snap in clips. It should be relatively easy to replace the trim pieces. Window trims have two screws on the ends and 3M tape in the center.

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter 3A89eDzl

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter 0msekoXl

Can't wait to install! :)

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Please update on what the process was to swap these! :D Definitely want to change out the chrome window trim on my EX as well. Do you mind sharing where you ordered these items? I thought I saw a package on Honda's estore for a little over $150 for the set of black trim, but I can't seem to find that now.

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Please update on what the process was to swap these! :D Definitely want to change out the chrome window trim on my EX as well. Do you mind sharing where you ordered these items? I thought I saw a package on Honda's estore for a little over $150 for the set of black trim, but I can't seem to find that now.
For sure! I was planning to install the trim this weekend but rain is coming so I'll have to hold off for another weekend.

I purchased it from hondapartsunlimited.com They were the cheapest including shipping to California. I shopped a few sites, hondapartsnetwork.com, hondaautomotiveparts.com, estore.honda.com but hondapartsunlimited.com had the best shipped price to me. YMMV based on your location.

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I've been so used to my BMW's 'Shadowline' window trim that I can't help but constant stare at the chrome trim on the FK7 and hate it. In an effort to "Shadowline" my Civic, I decided tackled replacing the non-Sport chrome window trim with the Sport Gloss Black ones today.

I ordered the all window trim pieces from hondapartsunlimited.com for under $300 shipped. YMMV depending on where you buy it, but definitely below $300. In comparison, I was quoted $300 to wrap the trim with Vinyl from the place I got my window tint and clear bra. In comparison, the BMW shadowline trim is $1600 + shipping. Bargain! :)

#Tools:
Heat Gun
Philips Screwdriver
Microfiber Towel
Touchup Paint (optional)

##Part Numbers:
72465-TGG-A11 Molding L Fr Door SASH
72425-TGG-A11 Molding R, Fr Door SASH
72965-TGG-A11 Molding L RR Door SASH
72925-TGG-A11 Molding R RR Door SASH
75474-TGH-A01 Garnish, L RR Pillar Corner
75424-TGH-A01 Garnish R, RR Pillar Corner​

#Remove and replace:

##Front Door
Expose the weatherstripping on the B pillar to display a single screw. The rest of the trim is held by 3M Tape. A part of the trim goes behind the mirror base and can pose a problem if not done properly. You can either remove your interior door panel and undo the mirror base, or be lazy and slide it out/in. Be careful though, you will most likely scratch it if you do it the lazy way.

##Rear Door
2 Screws on each end. 3M tape in the middle. Heat Gun will make easier removal of the taped area.

I struggled to remove the trim without bending them and ultimately decided it was not worth the trouble. My second picture shows how f-ed up they became as I pulled them off.

##Rear Garnish
This was the easiest part of the install. There is 3 pegs with foam insulation washers. Pop them off and reinstall new garnish.

Overall, I am very happy with the sport trim on my EX. It looks way better now.

I was planning to do my steering wheel as well but I don't have a 10mm Hex socket here so I'll have to purchase one at the store later. I'll tackle that install tomorrow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter PcmhSRRl

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter QSqiyUKl

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter LyOhVp7l

Last edited:
OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Today I tackled the steering wheel swap. It feels so much better that plastic thing not to mention looking a lot better.

Notes:
-The steering wheel bolt is on there good. 10mm Hex socket + a huge breaker bar did the trick.
-I bought two new airbag bolts and steering wheel bolt because they have dry green locktite on there. I would assume its only a one-time use bolt. They aren't too expensive at $11 for 3 bolts.
-When the steering wheel is removed, I saw there was two lines on the steering column splines. They matched two lines on the steering wheel. My guess is that it was marked to help alignment be simpler. It certainly helped me since the rotating black piece with the white peg could freely rotate when the steering wheel was off.
-When installing the battery again, the dash will light up like a christmas tree. A simple test drive will reinitialize everything and the lights will go away.

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter 0l5nvcGl

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter 9Tl95Otl

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter nE0ElkFl

OP
OP
derbo904

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
The civic hatch rear light doesn't have an on switch like the CRV/MDX/HRV, etc. The housing is the same housing since the early 2003 and like my brother's old 2008 fit, I plan to replace it with the CRV's switched housing.

Part number:
34265-SFE-003

$12-15 online. Not bad!

Honda Civic 10th gen Derbo's EX hatchback commuter p1
Sponsored