Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue?

Which side do you have a dent on?

• Left

Votes: 54 22.9%
  • Right

Votes: 31 13.1%
  • Both

Votes: 52 22.0%
  • None

Votes: 102 43.2%

• Total voters

ripcord291

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Platinum White Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2019 si and yup I have that dent... so pretty much not worth getting it popped out?
Sponsored

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would say This issue is definitely factory defected because It is not a coincidence case that many Civic owners have same spots of dent (all of them are above of rear window). Do not ask if those dents were hit by ball or some one laying on it. It can be happened one car but amount of civic at different place!!

Cristian Calderon.jpg

Eli Bax.jpg

George Lee.jpg

Major King.jpg

William Costa.jpg
I found a better picture of this so that people know what they are looking for.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue? honda-civic-guts

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I've heard that just leaning on it can dent it, such as putting your hand on it to lean inside the car. My CR-Z has a dent in the same spot and it's completely different model. Haven't check the civics.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had the same dent on left side on my 2019...haven’t done anything about it. Dealership gave me free “dent protection” when I bought the car. Tempted to just get a glue stick and pop it out. I saw this dent the 2nd day I had it.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Yes, but some of your pictures have these dents in different places...

Today’s cars are made from tinfoil. I noticed a co-worker’s VW CC had dents from his A pillar all the way over that arch to the C pillar in the back. Like someone took a big socket with a lump welded onto it and rolled it front to back, on both sides. We figured out it was one day he cleared ice from the car by rapping it with his knuckles, and not even that hard!

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
To my eyes it looks as if the gas em up / abuse ‘em guys got gas on the opposite side of the pump during the PDI and hit the top of my car with the gas hose, HARD.

neuroticcivic

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXL
Country flag
I have a 2016 sedan and have them on the drivers side for sure. Thought was weird and odd. I bought it as a certified preowned also as was a 1 owner before me. I will have to look on my passenger side again too see.

LesAnanasNeParlentPas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Corolla CE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
honda's build quality has seem to have gone downhill. my 2020 Civic has it in both sides when it was a few months old due to just going to the car washes (this car has so far never went through any hail storms and it did not have those dents when it was new).

dambuckeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I started out with one on the driver's side. Now it's 3 on the driver's and one on the passenger.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue? inbound5681176966705083375
Honda Civic 10th gen Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue? inbound6507655613701281412

Jerdo

First Name
Jeroen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SEDAN 1.5I VTEC EXECUTIVE
Country flag
Hello all.
I to have dents to on my 2018 Civic Sedan.
What I would like to know. Did Some of you got it sorded out with the dealer of Honda? And If so what did the do?

Ianee

First Name
Isn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Vti-lx
Country flag
Hello all.
I to have dents to on my 2018 Civic Sedan.
What I would like to know. Did Some of you got it sorded out with the dealer of Honda? And If so what did the do?
I’m not sure if this forum is Australian or American, but this is what I’ve experienced so far in Australia.
I first approached my dealership about the issue over a year and a half ago and I have been treading water with them ever since, so now I have brought it to the attention of Honda Australia Customer Relations via ther contact number found on page 6 in the Owner’s Warranty and Service Manual.
They claim that this is the first that they have heard of this issue, whereas we know that it is very common amongst the sedans. The more people that come forward and lodge a warranty case with Honda Customer Relations, the more they will understand how this is a design fault and needs to be fixed.

Below is my latest findings (that it’s due to Thermal Stress).
My 2017 Civic sedan was parked overnight as it usually is, under the shade sail beside the eastern side of our house. I had recently bought new tyres for it and found that the slightly wider tyres (225/50r17) were not only cheaper to buy but also offered extra protection to the mag wheels (in regards to gutter rash). This morning as I was about to go out, I remembered that I needed to take some pictures of them so I could post on the fb group to share the handy findings.
In doing so, I reversed out of the carport a little so the sun was shining on them for a better picture, which also meant the morning sun was now shining on the driver’s side and partly on the top of the vehicle, (time was 9am QLD time). I took some pictures of the tyres and hopped back into my Civic to check how the pictures showed.
Then the infamous pop occurred. I thought to myself, gee that sounds like the pop (associated with the roof rippling) that occurs when going up/down gutters or over speed bumps. I wasn’t 100% convinced it would be though, as this time the vehicle was sitting stationary on a flat/even surface (which I’ve never noticed to happen before). I got out of the car to see if there was anything showing up on the roofline and noticed the sizeable indent. I decided to make a video recording, and lucky I did because I managed to capture the indent popping back out right as some cloud cover came over.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue? AF3CE2F8-00BD-4B62-A321-D22472C57201

Honda Civic 10th gen Dent above passenger doors, accident or body issue? 3A194F99-035E-4F04-9470-12E96E5466FB

Ianee

First Name
Isn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Vti-lx
Country flag
From this new finding this morning, I believe the popping/rippling is influenced by a build up of thermal stress in the steel, induced by thermal expansion/contraction (eg; transitioning from being in the shade to being in the heat of the sun or vice-versa) and on most cases it is triggered to act by adding additional stress via vehicle flex (but I have now found it to also happen with the car parked in a stationary position).

Ianee

First Name
Isn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Vti-lx
Country flag
Definitly seems to be something structural. Wonder if it's just a matter of time before those so far unaffected have the magic dents appear. Either way, hopefully they only occur during a "settling" period and aren't an ongoing issue for the life of the car...
Unfortunately they continue to progress more and more as the car ages. Mine is now 4&1/2yrs old and has 90,000km on it, and mine now looks disgusting.

Ianee

First Name
Isn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Vti-lx
Country flag
Here you are ladies and gentlemen. I have captured my Civic popping in and out as I enter and exit my driveway.

It was a rainy morning and the sun had just started to come out so I tested the theory of thermal stress due to uneven thermal expansion coupled with a little torsion stress. Bingo! It caused it to pop!

I’ll attach a video once I shorten it down enough that the forum will allow me to attach it.
Sponsored