Denied Warranty Work ?

Has anyone ever been denied warranty work ?

• Total voters
OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
To build on this, checking and adjusting the valves with the proper tools is WAY easier than going back to stock.
Yeah but I’m not sure if it’s the valves or not. I’m not able to do that on my own Vice I’d have to spend $400 at a shop for a problem that is not a guarantee fix.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Typically, if the failed part was caused by the modification it won't be covered. All of the direct injection engines sound like a sewing machine though. But having said that, I did find a failure a week or two ago on a 1.5T that was a loud tapping sound. It turned out to be a broken lost motion assembly spring, the vtec lobe was rattling around very loud on cylinder 4, it was a low mileage car as well.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Typically, if the failed part was caused by the modification it won't be covered. All of the direct injection engines sound like a sewing machine though. But having said that, I did find a failure a week or two ago on a 1.5T that was a loud tapping sound. It turned out to be a broken lost motion assembly spring, the vtec lobe was rattling around very loud on cylinder 4, it was a low mileage car as well.
How would something like that happen? Factory defect ? Mechanical over rev? And would it be covered if I went back to stock?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How would something like that happen? Factory defect ? Mechanical over rev? And would it be covered if I went back to stock?
Factory defect, it happens. The Honda Fit used to have a campaign where we would change out all 4. It's covered under your powertrain warranty anyways. The only way that would not be covered is if you have over-rev dtc's saved in your pcm, really just depends on the dealer. Having the car all tuner'ed out doesn't help the cause though. Never run any stickers on the car. It just makes the car look like it's being abused.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Factory defect, it happens. The Honda Fit used to have a campaign where we would change out all 4. It's covered under your powertrain warranty anyways. The only way that would not be covered is if you have over-rev dtc's saved in your pcm, really just depends on the dealer. Having the car all tuner'ed out doesn't help the cause though. Never run any stickers on the car. It just makes the car look like it's being abused.
Am I able to keep my prl intercooler on ? I took everything else off today and even flashed to the factory calibration ktuner tune.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
It's not a black or white answer of what to keep/not keep installed. You could go back in bone stock and get flagged for being tuned still, you could go in FBO and get someone who doesn't care and get warranty work. You can fight tooth and nail about the Magnuson-Moss act until you're red in the face. There is no right or wrong answer that you seem to be looking for unfortunately, because each person at every dealer is going to be different. Is it probably better to go in stock, 9 of 10 times probably yes, but sometimes it just really won't matter, especially depending on what they end up finding, or what causes them to start digging further, or not dig at all.
Yea like mine is an example... My dealer asked to flash it back to stock with oem parts in the trunk... well I think it's more an relation with ur dealer that depends on warranty.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yea like mine is an example... My dealer asked to flash it back to stock with oem parts in the trunk... well I think it's more an relation with ur dealer that depends on warranty.
Does anyone have any recommendations for dealerships with techs that would be on my side for this scenario ? In the Bay Area !

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does anyone have any recommendations for dealerships with techs that would be on my side for this scenario ? In the Bay Area !
I would just take it in and find out. The damage has already been done. If the engine damage is determined to be due to the mods, Honda will find out and deny the claim. Reflashing back to stock does not matter, Honda engineers can see the flash back to stock when the info is requested. But having said that, I mean, it's pretty fair. They have to determine whatever was wrong was due to what you did to the car. Kinda the price of messing with it tbh.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would just take it in and find out. The damage has already been done. If the engine damage is determined to be due to the mods, Honda will find out and deny the claim. Reflashing back to stock does not matter, Honda engineers can see the flash back to stock when the info is requested. But having said that, I mean, it's pretty fair. They have to determine whatever was wrong was due to what you did to the car. Kinda the price of messing with it tbh.
I brought it into a honda today, and they told me the price of diagnostics of opening up my cylinder head was going to be $2100, and the chances of me being covered under warranty are slim to none, so what would you suggest I do in a situation like this?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I brought it into a honda today, and they told me the price of diagnostics of opening up my cylinder head was going to be $2100, and the chances of me being covered under warranty are slim to none, so what would you suggest I do in a situation like this?
I would suggest they charge you 1hr diag and pull the valve cover and check the valvetrain first. The first move is pulling the head? Little excessive to me

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would suggest they charge you 1hr diag and pull the valve cover and check the valvetrain first. The first move is pulling the head? Little excessive to me
They suggested pulling the cylinder head, and even checking the rocker arms
I started a conversation with you to talk about it further

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Buy a used CRV head and have an independent shop install it. Then don't money shift it anymore.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Dam, looks weird already asking 2.1k without any diagnostics. This dealer is crazy.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dam, looks weird already asking 2.1k without any diagnostics. This dealer is crazy.
Yeah, I was speaking with DRUSA about it. I’m thinking of just bringing it into the dealer I bought the car from, and just make the hour drive.
Sponsored