Denied Warranty Work ?

Has anyone ever been denied warranty work ?

• Total voters

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I’m curious because my engine has been ticking for months now and I’ve put on 7k miles since it started. I have a 2021 civic sport hatchback 6MT. Apparently it’s a loose valve, or something along those lines ? I’m tuned on phearable, PRL CAI RACE MAF INTAKE, PRL CATLESS DP, and PRL INTERCOOLER, with a custom exhaust. I was wondering if I could go back to stock everything except an exhaust and still get warranty work done on my car to fix the ticking issue ? Has anyone ever been denied warranty work ? Thank you !
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How loud is your tick? My car ticks. It always has.... sounds like a sewing machine. I thought that was just normal for these engines.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m curious because my engine has been ticking for months now and I’ve put on 7k miles since it started. I have a 2021 civic sport hatchback 6MT. Apparently it’s a loose valve, or something along those lines ? I’m tuned on phearable, PRL CAI RACE MAF INTAKE, PRL CATLESS DP, and PRL INTERCOOLER, with a custom exhaust. I was wondering if I could go back to stock everything except an exhaust and still get warranty work done on my car to fix the ticking issue ? Has anyone ever been denied warranty work ? Thank you !
How loud is your tick? My car ticks. It always has.... sounds like a sewing machine. I thought that was just normal for these engines.
I believe you can view the video in my previous postings, for some reason I can’t reupload it here. The ticking gets louder as I accelerate and it’s not the direct injection and I’m sure of that. It sounds like something is loose and is rattling as my RPMS are up. I’ve ran fuel system cleaner through my system, pump good gas, and tried running thicker oils such as 5W-30. It’s been 7,000 miles and I’m not throwing any codes whatsoever, and it drives and handles just fine. It’s just the rattling and ticking noise that bothers me.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Without knowing what the issue is it's hard to tell if it's a warranty item or not. You'd need to flash it back to stock and put the cat back on at the very least before you bring it to a dealer.

Best bet is to drive another comparable 1.5 and see if you hear the same noise. Direct injection make a very loud ticking. So does an exhaust leak and being you've installed a downpipe I'd check the gasket areas also.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s from the injectors. Typical GDI engine noise.
Definitely not the DI, I’ve compared it to other hatchbacks and SI’s and it’s way more noticeably louder.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Without knowing what the issue is it's hard to tell if it's a warranty item or not. You'd need to flash it back to stock and put the cat back on at the very least before you bring it to a dealer.

Best bet is to drive another comparable 1.5 and see if you hear the same noise. Direct injection make a very loud ticking. So does an exhaust leak and being you've installed a downpipe I'd check the gasket areas also.
Direct injection does make a loud ticking noise but it’s nothing compared to what my car has right now. I’ve compared it with other 10th gens and it’s much louder, and gets louder the higher the RPMS get. The sound is coming straight from the head of the engine itself so I’m also very sure it’s not an exhaust leak. It’s sound like my cars not getting any oil. My knock count is regular and temps are just fine as well. So I’m kind’ve confused on what it is.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Direct injection does make a loud ticking noise but it’s nothing compared to what my car has right now. I’ve compared it with other 10th gens and it’s much louder, and gets louder the higher the RPMS get. The sound is coming straight from the head of the engine itself so I’m also very sure it’s not an exhaust leak. It’s sound like my cars not getting any oil. My knock count is regular and temps are just fine as well. So I’m kind’ve confused on what it is.
I'd only suggest putting it back to stock and taking it in under warranty.

OP
OP
courrey

courrey

First Name
Correy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd only suggest putting it back to stock and taking it in under warranty.
Yeah I’m just wondering if they’ll flag my car or not even though it’s stock by the time I put it back. I don’t want to waste all the time taking everything apart and putting stuff back on just for it to not work

Boosted_01_R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC3
Country flag
If it's not the injectors, maybe the HPFP. Hopefully the tick isn't rod knock. Not much things pulse in the engine bay which is why everyone is saying it's just the direct injection. Put everything back to stock. Even with a stock flash back, Honda enginners are being allocated to check if a car has been tuned when engine work is on the table usually. Money on, it's nothing lol

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Yeah I’m just wondering if they’ll flag my car or not even though it’s stock by the time I put it back. I don’t want to waste all the time taking everything apart and putting stuff back on just for it to not work
A dealer doesn't have the ability to flag a car. If there is an aftermarket mod than directly caused an issue the district rep can say there is no longer a warranty on say, just the powertrain. If there was a past event stored like an overrev or oil pressure event they would check further. Otherwise most dealers will diagnose the problem, repair the car, and move on. Rarely does techline ask for a specific back screenshot. I've worked for honda for over 19 years, honda is very generous to isolated issues with mods. The one thing they don't like is tunes and missing emission components.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If your engine has valves out of adjustment causing the loud ticking, and the valve lash requires adjustment, that is not a warranty service item. There is a service procedure to adjust the valve lash when the engine ticks louder than normal that is considered "normal maintenance".

If it's caused by something else, well, you won't know if you'll have a problem till you take it in.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If your engine has valves out of adjustment causing the loud ticking, and the valve lash requires adjustment, that is not a warranty service item. There is a service procedure to adjust the valve lash when the engine ticks louder than normal that is considered "normal maintenance".

If it's caused by something else, well, you won't know if you'll have a problem till you take it in.
To build on this, checking and adjusting the valves with the proper tools is WAY easier than going back to stock.

tacocat

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe
Country flag

No, an adjustment would be covered. If you have valves out of adjustment during the warranty period that is not normal maintenance. That’s like the same as if a car with a timing Belt or water pump fails during the 3/36 warranty period. Those items and a valve adjustment are not due till 105k miles so having issues well before that is out of the realm of what a customer is responsible for.

Mrchessy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
It’s from the wastegate actuator. It also happened on my twin turbo bimmer. Can’t avoid it.
Sponsored