DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Had the 2019 Civic Sport Hatchback since August 2019. Most of what I plan is to DIY it as much as I can without buying.

Current mods on the cars as of June 9, 2020:
  • Rear diffuser (2019)
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1358

• Aluminum sheet metal covering the area right in front of the rear lower control arms on the left and right side of the car. (2019 & June 2020) The photo you see below is for the driver's side where the gas tank is.
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1366
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1369

The general procedure is using cardboard to get a rough template. Transferred cardboard template to craft paper. Transfer craft paper template onto 0.063" aluminum I could find at my metal supplier in the remnants section. Mounting is based on utilizing any existing hole and fasteners. To stiffen some of the sections, I used the backside of a blacksmith's hammer and a 25lb mallet to emboss the sheet metal with ridges.

For the rear diffuser. It's made using 4 different panels with screws and nuts. I had to fashion bracket with a roller dies to hold it in 2 places. I used existing bolt holes on the rear crash beam for mounting the back portion of the diffuser. The front section of the diffuser is attached to the exhaust pipe with another bracket, nuts, and bolts.

I did these two mods to hopefully decrease drag even further and increase MPG. I know honda did a good job on the aero, but I want to go farther. I have driven as fast as 100mph to get a feel for the rear and it's different from stock, but it's subjective to my perspective. I chose not to paint these pieces. The rear diffuser is dirty with road dirt, but it's a way to assess airflow and a need for strakes. So far I seeing a smooth flow pattern from the middle section of the diffuser. The section behind the tire does not exhibit that pattern. I'll have to confirm with flow-vis paint of some kind to be sure.

Future mods:
  • Aluminum gated shifter. Did not do it due to the current restriction on the part with the shifter, however I was able to 3d print a plate which can allow for some custom modifications such as LED lighting on shift number.
  • Wheel covers for drag reduction on stock 18" or buy wheels that have wheel covers in 18"
  • Tein Flex Z with EDFC
  • Lighter exhaust system not using stainless steel and titanium.
  • Rear wing without drilling door to the trunk. Installed the Caruse Aeroflap in 4/2021.
  • New intake manifold using Porsche's design that works only with forced induction. I found their patent google searching for it. This mod will not happen anytime soon due to complexity and need to verify in CAD. Won't do this because CARB rule and I won't pass smog.

Edit: Additional Future Mods added on 9/6/2020
  • Differential: Wavetrac or Mfactory
  • Transmission gearset: PPG gearset
  • New pistons and connecting rods
  • Pistons get thermal barrier coating
  • WPC Treatment on everything that moves
I'm currently a working student and can only do smaller projects like a gated shifter, but this is what I plan. No plans to tune ECU for now. Focusing more on aerodynamics.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Currently working on my own design of a strut brace. I have looked at the chassis diagram of the FK7 and came to the conclusion the strut tower is connected to the firewall due to how it's constructed.

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1/9/2021 update

Here's What I did so far.
  • Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar with accord endlinks on stiffest setting because I can't get them on the softest setting
  • FK8 subframe brace
  • Perrin rear motor mounts
  • Acuity shifter and bushings
  • Custom strut tower bar complete
I can definitely feel the rear of my FK7 keep up with the front. Wasn't like it on stock where the rear felt like it was lagging behind. The FK8 subframe brace and strut tower bars were like mods with no perceived improvements... mostly comfort ride mods I did not feel anything major. The Perrin rear motor mounts have increase vibration, but I can definitely feel my engagement with the acuity shifter and bushing. Shifts are much better and I am more confident in which gear I am in thanks to less free play.

I'll share more on the custom strut tower bar after I secure the required components used in that build for different areas of the car where the same component can be used.

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2/3/2021

This is the post where I show the custom strut tower bar I made in 2020.

Below is how it looks on the car before I finished it to make sure it fits.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1510

In this photo, I bought a used Rear Nismo Yamaha Performance Damper for 370Z from eBay. I'm using 1/8" thick 4130 steel as the base of the strut mount to give me appropriate thread engagement on the nuts. A piece of 0.5" thick steel cold rolled steel is welded to the base of the strut mount.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1513

I had to turn, bore, and thread a 5/8" steel round to extend the length of the Nismo damper to the appropriate length for my FK7. Since Yamaha makes these dampers with a thread section tightened by a nut, it makes this project easier.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1503

The next 4 photos below are popping the strut mounts in my toaster oven modified for PCB reflow soldering. I baked it add an oxidized layer for corrosion protection since the cost of DIY nickel plating and time constraint seems too much. Then I sprayed it with high-temperature primer and high-temperature black paint and baked it as specified on the spray can. I had to finished baking in my grill because the toaster over seems to have an issue going to 600C.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1514

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1515

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1518

I was rushing at this point for the black paint to cure, Not the best finish.
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1523

This is before installation on my car. I added Kapton tape for some heat protection to the damper because the engine bay runs too hot.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1528

Basically, I took the Subaru approach to have a stiffer tower with some dampening for comfort. And to experiment with these dampers because Yamaha makes them as an OEM part for Lexus LC 500. I wasn't going to pay $1420 for the Spoon Motion Control Beam if I can try something for cheaps. A strut tower bar isn't required because Honda has it welded to the firewall when looking at the chassis diagram for the 10th gen civic. This modification is really subtle in feeling changes to ride I can't tell. I won't know what changes Yamaha makes to these dampers since each one seems to be specific to car platform/dynamics.

The next I did was squat on Yamaha body dampers and searched for cheap ones at a bargain so I can do it for the front and rear bumpers. I bought them from Up Garage USA. They are COX body dampers developed for the Scion FRS/BRZ for the 2012-2016 model year. The COX Body Dampers are made by Yamaha. The listing on Crooobar shows an item at 3 stars which is an indicator of part quality These dampers are in good condition with mild scratches. A usable excellent part for 3 stars by Japanese standards.

The exact listing I paid on Crooober for both the front and rear dampers with the mounting hardware: https://www.croooober.com/en/item/c...s/10545897/COX-BODY-YAMAHA-PERFORMANCE-DAMPER

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1613

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2/23/2021

TL;DR: I have definitely noticed a reduction of vibration at the startup, 700 rpm idle, AC, and when I don't give enough revs my clutch judders while Perrin Motormount Inserts. I think most of the reduction in vibration comes from the front-mounted damper. Not sure about what effect the rear damper has.

I have just finished mounting the COX body dampers with homemade brackets with the goal of making sure the front bracket was not sticking out under the car because that messes with the aerodynamics underneath the car. The COX damper for the front is mounted in the space underneath the stock intercooler and the front skirt. The exterior panel fit for the front skirt is slightly stress due to the way I bent the brackets to fit and I’ll probably have to go back to fix that later.

I haven't done much driving yet to know if this mod has been beneficial against a "placebo". I do not have test data to show if a reduction of vibrations has been achieved while using the Perrin Motormount inserts. All I have is a noticeable reduction in vibrations at idle, 700 rpm, startup, AC, and clutch judder. It feels like stock even with Perrin Motormount Inserts. I am sure the reduction in vibrations comes from the front-mounted damper more than the rear.

My research on this type of damper made by Yamaha, and the Motion Control Beam probably made by Denso for Toyota and sold by Spoon, shows the mounting location critical to achieving the goal of vibration reduction. The Nismo damper I installed over my strut towers had barely any effect on daily driving compared to today's modification. Since this Civic is using a subframe construction. The front and rear dampers will be absorbing vibrations from their respective location.

As of now, I believe I am done with all exterior modifications and done with the dampers. I'll probably get started on the gated shifter after finding a place to laser scans parts in Los Angeles or try with cardboard. I intend to keep the gated shifter simple, but the gate spacings will be thin as seen in the Brother's Tuning Gated Shifter for the Ford Focus.

The picture below is of Damper's final location in the front.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal EAE66353-3A30-4CA5-AE07-82CAF0522148

The picture below is of the bracket for the rear damper, I failed to take into account the space for the nut and bolt since it mounts to the top of the rear bumper. It fits as expected, but I now must use a crescent wrench fit to hold the bolt from spinning as I tighten the nut.
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal 0C5737C4-5147-46E2-87D6-C2658B19C111

3/22/2021
This is just a photo of the whole bracket before mounting it back on the car. I reused washers and used what I found in storage. Not an update for this.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal Photo Mar 15, 12 55 34 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
3/22/2021

This is the gated shifter project update because I want one and no one has made one yet.

I'm starting a project using 3D photogrammetry because I got the stuff I need for this project already. I also wasn't about to pay $3000 for what I assume is an estimated price to have a 3D part scanned for my part for reverse engineering into a CAD format for easy model building.
  • Canon Rebel T2i
  • LED spotlights
  • Large white cloth
  • Cheap amazon plastic turntable
  • Tooling clay
  • Baby powder. Corn starch and flour also work.
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal File_000

The center shifter console area dusted with baby powder.
Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_9047.JPG

Picking the right software to compile the images and using Meshroom and Meshlab. Import OBJ file into Fusion 360. Unfortunately, the whole object exceeds 10,000 faces which makes it impossible to do a mesh to BREP conversion in Fusion 360. I'll just brute force by eye the whole gated shifter plate in the mesh model t

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.22 - 17.16.02.20

All I have to do now is match an earlier drawing I did of my shifter installed and I should be fine.

jlamb30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan • 03 Kawi ZX-6R 636
Country flag
Just curious... why do you want a gated shifter plate? Is it for aesthetics or function? For me, gated requires a much more deliberate shift, instead of the smooth rowing motion of non-gated. Especially for our cars, which already have great stock shifters.

I still may go with a Type R shifter for a tad shorter throw with Acuity bits to remove some of the compliance, but I really don't have any complaints with my stock shifter. Since it's broken in, it's ultra smooth.

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just curious... why do you want a gated shifter plate? Is it for aesthetics or function?
I want the sound of metal hitting metal on a shift. I already know it's going to be slightly hollow in sound because of the plastic center console.

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
6/2/2021

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.22 - 17.16.02.20

After getting my 3D printer back up running and realizing gate spacings will not work. I've elected to just have a simple "plate" covering the hole for the shifter. I am removing the gates due to the diameter of the rod for the shifter knob and insufficient spacing.

Basically meets my expectations. I have an auditory cue to release the clutch. The shifts are too quiet before this. Helps me get on the gas faster while minimizing the power lag after shifting and clutch release since the transmission for the L15BA isn't a speed shifter with the rate of RPM drop with the stock flywheel.

To now figure out how to make it out of metal and decide if I want to add some engraving.

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
6/10/2021

I just got the GReddy Type-28 intercooler today. I ordered from Edge Autosport but actually came from Turn 14 Distribution. I know people here go with a bar and plate intercooler over the tube and fin design. I live in California and prioritized CARB rules and smog checks in the long term.

Everything is packaged well. The end tanks of the intercooler are cast aluminum. Comes with CARB sticker and small metal GReddy badge. Hardware and hoses included. Measurements of inner and outer piping diameter and thickness provided for future references, below.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1736

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1737

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1739

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1741

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1742

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1743

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal IMG_1744

OP
OP

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
6/11/2021

I finished installing the intercooler. Took 7 hours and plenty of fiddling with hoses and charge pipers. Here's what happened. No pics of the final result.

• Had to put some rubber weather stripping at specific areas where the intercooler will touch the front crash beam and AC condenser.
  • Received an M8 bolt instead of an M6 for mounting one of the charge pipes. I had to reuse the stock M6 bolt with 4 washers.
  • Used soapy water mixture to reduce friction to install the silicone hoses on the turbocharger and the stock charge pipe near the throttle body. It was definitely harder to put the 45-50mm reducer compared to the 50-60mm reducer sections.
  • Reused the OEM clamps after my Dad saw the clamps that came with the kit are not the right ones. I only used two that came with the intercooler for the silicone hose that's straight. The OEM clamp design has a spring incorporated and uses a smooth band to not tear into the silicone hose in the long run.
  • Probably find another hose with a dimension close to the 45-50mm reducer because the one near the throttle body doesn't seem to have enough length to clear the clamps.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6/11/2021

I finished installing the intercooler. Took 7 hours and plenty of fiddling with hoses and charge pipers. Here's what happened. No pics of the final result.

• Had to put some rubber weather stripping at specific areas where the intercooler will touch the front crash beam and AC condenser.
  • Received an M8 bolt instead of an M6 for mounting one of the charge pipes. I had to reuse the stock M6 bolt with 4 washers.
  • Used soapy water mixture to reduce friction to install the silicone hoses on the turbocharger and the stock charge pipe near the throttle body. It was definitely harder to put the 45-50mm reducer compared to the 50-60mm reducer sections.
  • Reused the OEM clamps after my Dad saw the clamps that came with the kit are not the right ones. I only used two that came with the intercooler for the silicone hose that's straight. The OEM clamp design has a spring incorporated and uses a smooth band to not tear into the silicone hose in the long run.
  • Probably find another hose with a dimension close to the 45-50mm reducer because the one near the throttle body doesn't seem to have enough length to clear the clamps.
Thanks for the heads-up! I wonder if Mishi’s piping would work, given that it seems like everything is about 50mm: https://www.mishimoto.com/honda-civic-15t-2016-intercooler-pipe-kit.html#prettyPhoto

@Mishimoto Any thoughts? I also would like to stay SMOG-legal, so, why not a Greddy intercooler + Mishi piping?

civicren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sport touring cvt 2017
Country flag
Buying cheap Yamaha dampers and customize mounts ate such a nice and frugal way to improve body reinforcement.

Thanks for the journal
2/23/2021

TL;DR: I have definitely noticed a reduction of vibration at the startup, 700 rpm idle, AC, and when I don't give enough revs my clutch judders while Perrin Motormount Inserts. I think most of the reduction in vibration comes from the front-mounted damper. Not sure about what effect the rear damper has.

I have just finished mounting the COX body dampers with homemade brackets with the goal of making sure the front bracket was not sticking out under the car because that messes with the aerodynamics underneath the car. The COX damper for the front is mounted in the space underneath the stock intercooler and the front skirt. The exterior panel fit for the front skirt is slightly stress due to the way I bent the brackets to fit and I’ll probably have to go back to fix that later.

I haven't done much driving yet to know if this mod has been beneficial against a "placebo". I do not have test data to show if a reduction of vibrations has been achieved while using the Perrin Motormount inserts. All I have is a noticeable reduction in vibrations at idle, 700 rpm, startup, AC, and clutch judder. It feels like stock even with Perrin Motormount Inserts. I am sure the reduction in vibrations comes from the front-mounted damper more than the rear.

My research on this type of damper made by Yamaha, and the Motion Control Beam probably made by Denso for Toyota and sold by Spoon, shows the mounting location critical to achieving the goal of vibration reduction. The Nismo damper I installed over my strut towers had barely any effect on daily driving compared to today's modification. Since this Civic is using a subframe construction. The front and rear dampers will be absorbing vibrations from their respective location.

As of now, I believe I am done with all exterior modifications and done with the dampers. I'll probably get started on the gated shifter after finding a place to laser scans parts in Los Angeles or try with cardboard. I intend to keep the gated shifter simple, but the gate spacings will be thin as seen in the Brother's Tuning Gated Shifter for the Ford Focus.

The picture below is of Damper's final location in the front.

Honda Civic 10th gen DellyJougnut's Sport FK7 Build Journal {filename}

The picture below is of the bracket for the rear damper, I failed to take into account the space for the nut and bolt since it mounts to the top of the rear bumper. It fits as expected, but I now must use a crescent wrench fit to hold the bolt from spinning as I tighten the nut.

3/22/2021
This is just a photo of the whole bracket before mounting it back on the car. I reused washers and used what I found in storage. Not an update for this.