erra710

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic si
Country flag
New to driving manual. Want to delete revhang any tips on what to expect when doing it
Sponsored

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
New to driving manual. Want to delete revhang any tips on what to expect when doing it
I've had manual cars since 1965 (MGA, VWs, Honda) and suggest waiting a while. Maybe, delete the rev hang after a while since you're new to stick.
The rev hang might assist with learning the clutch engagement point while driving since it gives a longer "window" as the rpms drop.
With no rev hang, the rpms will fall past the best clutch point and buck.
However, you might want to eventually investigate removing the clutch delay valve. I haven't yet but, according to posts here, it might improve the clutch engagement feel.
I agree that rev hang is annoying and wish there was a way to delete it without a big $ tuner bill.
Driving stick will be a whole new experience.
Best

Last edited:

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
1) don't press the clutch pedal until you start removing your foot from the accelerator pedal
2) don't act like you're trying to set a world record for the fastest gear change- take your time
1+2=3) Your feet/legs should flow smoothly - they should not be choppy. You're not trying to stomp out a fire.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
No offense, but since you're new to stick, why are you wanting to delete it? I'm assuming you've never driven a manual car without it?

There are plenty of threads/posts of people who have deleted it and not liked their experience.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I was new to manual with my 19 SI and honestly, i think rev hang helped. It gives me a little more time to choose correct gear and make a smooth shift. I drove a car with no rev hang and it made things a little more difficult.. had to keep my foot on the gas more, choose gears a little faster but also not dump the clutch because i was afraid of "riding the clutch".

Basically, slowing down my shifting - putting an effort into smoothness, flowing with my clutch and gas pedal has almost made me forget the rev hang is even there.

ONLY time it causes an issue is if i do need to get through some gears quickly and dont let my foot up enough.

Example: I was in DC traffic (which is nothing compared to how it was before covid) and the lane i was in came to a total halt and was backed up with ppl trying to make an exit. I needed to get out of that lane, but traffic was otherwise flying by in the next lane at 50+. (which is nuts if the lane next to it is stopped).

So, i wait for a gap, in first, pull out into the next lane, shift to 2nd.. basically run up in second, press the clutch for 3rd and i did not let up on the gas and over revved the engine (first time seeing shift lights!) so i had to WAIT for those damned revs to drop.. while basically not in a gear - a little scary when trying to get from 0 to 50 with traffic coming up your 6.

In the end, car was a trooper. love her so much and she puts up with me learning.

Dont listen to everyone complaining about rev hang. Yes it might be annoying to seasoned drivers or those that have their cars tuned and track them - but for the average driver - and new driver - i think rev hang can really help. I also see some people try to blame rev hang for their lack of ability with the car, when really it is just a lack of skill and understanding.
Sponsored