Defective Steering

jerost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Sedan Lunar Silver
Country flag
While all you lucky Honda owners are enjoying your Civics, I've been suffering for 7 months. Here's a write-up I did today prior to a visit to a dealer who didn't have time to work on it today even though I explained the problem when I called and they said they could. I want to love my car but if Honda doesn't make this right, and soon, I will do all in my power to convince people not to buy Hondas. And I will sell my car and absorb the financial loss.

2017 Honda LX 4-door Sedan
Purchased December 2016

PROBLEM:

Steering feels too loose, not secure ? from first day of ownership

About one week after picking up my new car, I brought it back to [dealer] to:

pick up the new registration

have a missing piece of plastic replaced on windshield wiper

have steering checked - Service Advisor told me the Service Manager drove it (not with me in the car) and said it felt correct

For 7 months, I have lived with this and tried to to get used it but I have never felt comfortable or secure with the steering. Here is how I would describe it:

Too loose, too much play in the steering wheel

Feels like there is too much power assist

Does not want to come back to center and stay at center

Note: I have owned 4 Honda's and 4 Toyota?s, so I know what these cars feel like. This is the only one I have been dissatisfied with the steering like this.

August 1, 2017 - Outside a CVS, I met another owner of a 2017 Civic LX 4-door sedan like mine and asked him about the steering. I drovbe his car and he drove mine. AMAZING DIFFERENCE. I immediately noticed his car's stering felt heavier - in a good way - and his car reurned to center and went where I pointed it. - none of the loosey-goosey feeling of my car. He agreed that my car's steering felt too loose.

August 2, 2017 - I work in xxxxxx now and stopped at [different dealer] to talk about the steering. The Service Manager sent me out with a Master Technician. We went out to test-drive a brand new Civic LX 4-door from their lot and my car. Like the car I drove at the CVS, the steering of the LX from their lot felt heavier-weighted and more precise and not loosey-goosey. The Master Technician said about my car:

feels like the alignment is off

the steering wheel needs to be centered

may need caster adjustment

August 3, 2017 - I called Honda in California to see if any work on this issue should be covered because I brought it back to [dealer] a week after I got the car. They said I need to go back to any Honda dealer who should do a diagnostic to see if it?s warrantable.
Sponsored

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i think it could be an allignment problem, since it doesn't come back straight

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Not surprised your alignment will be off. Does it also just plow/understeer when taking quick left or right handers?

So far these are the things that haven't been done properly from factory in my car.

1. Brake bleed - The rear circuit had tons of air resulting in soft pedal feel. It takes bleeding and activation of the rear parking break several times to fully get the air out.
2. Alignment wasn't 100% correct
3. Came with plastic toys r us steering wheel. Type R wheel was fitted.
4. Too much turbo lag fixed with ktuner and vit.
5. A/C i'm sure is not full enough
Sponsored