DopeMuffinz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Benz e430
Country flag
Is the standard audio system on most trims actually that bad? Should it influence my decision between a 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback and a 2020 EXL Hatchback.
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
tbh, I have an '18 sport hatchback with the super basic ass, non-touchscreen radio. I added some tweeters (Polk db1001) and am fairly content with how my sound system sounds. When I read about everyone saying it sounds like complete ass, then comparing to what mine sounds like, I started to wonder how nitpicky everyone was being. I've had pretty well planned out sound systems in my old cars, too.

Admittedly, I'm not a super nitpicky audiophile, but I do love my music. There are some things that I may want to upgrade in the future, but since I'm content with the sound system with my tweeter additions, they've been taken down a few notches on my priority list.

OP
OP

DopeMuffinz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Benz e430
Country flag
tbh, I have an '18 sport hatchback with the super basic ass, non-touchscreen radio. I added some tweeters (Polk db1001) and am fairly content with how my sound system sounds. When I read about everyone saying it sounds like complete ass, then comparing to what mine sounds like, I started to wonder how nitpicky everyone was being. I've had pretty well planned out sound systems in my old cars, too.

Admittedly, I'm not a super nitpicky audiophile, but I do love my music. There are some things that I may want to upgrade in the future, but since I'm content with the sound system with my tweeter additions, they've been taken down a few notches on my priority list.
How hard was the installation of these tweeters? Is it easy to damage something while trying to do it? Can the sound get pretty loud without sounding horrible?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used OEM Sport Touring tweeter sail panels and just tapped the OEM pos/neg of the front speakers. Stupid easy. Hardest part was getting the original sail panels off. I think I broke a tab off one of them

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
If you have a more discerning ear the Civic systems leave a lot to be desired.

In my premium system the highs are harsh at higher volumes, there's a noticeable lack of mid-frequency response, and the bass has a distinct "Thumping-wet-cardboard" type of sound. I know the premium systems have a lot of trickery to make them "sound better" but from time to time I swear that it's phasing channels in and out on the fly and it's annoying.

Not to mention the road noise is louder in this car than any I've ever owned. That alone is probably causing a lot of interference.

Coming from the fully built and tuned system in my F-150 I personally can't wait to start building my audio system. I'll probably spend as much on sound dampening as I do on the rest of components I need.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i do believe the 2020's / maybe 2019's and newer have improved sound deadening, my mid level sound system is alright, just lacking a bit of bass ( i dont have a factory sub or center channel ) and the high ends are a bit harsh, but i do believe there's a mod you can do to the headunit, hondahack or something i dont recall exactly, but you can make your own flat Eq and make adjustments through a rooted headunit to make it sound better. in my opinion, i would base my purchase of a trim level and other things you get with that trim adjustment more than the audio system. - speakers are relatively easy to swap out in the grand scheme of things should you desire later. and with any modification, any damage can happen if you dont do the proper procedures. Best advice i can give, take your time, make sure you watch multiple other people do the same job to pick out whats good and bad about what they are doing, and you should be alright. alot of people like to take shortcuts with car modifications, try not to, youll only damage your car

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have a more discerning ear the Civic systems leave a lot to be desired.
I will give you this 100%. I BT stream from my phone almost exclusively and on top of the limited EQ functions on my head unit, I have the EQ settings on my phone set for any finer adjustment I may have needed. Hence, me saying I'm fairly content with how it is at the moment. 100% pleased, no, but content enough to knock car audio down my priority list of mods.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
I have a 4 door Touring with the 10 speaker Premium system. It's far from good. A 6-speaker Volvo Audio System is better, even without a subwoofer (and Volvo isn't advertising it as a "premium" system)
I highly recommend to dam the front doors which make a huge difference. Additonally replacing the speakers do make a noticable difference even without rooting your Head Unit to flatten the DSP.
Sponsored