Decided on a 2021 Civic Hatchback as my first new car. Unsure on Trim level.

robertk328

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I was on the fence between the Sport an EX as well until I met the ridiculous pwr seats and sunroof. Here's why:
1. From an engineering standpoint, the more moving objects something has, the more likelihood and sooner you'll have issues.
2. Every Gawd. Damn. Time. I opened the doors or turned car on/off, them blasted seats would move. And move again. AND AGAIN. ? Now for most ppl, that may not be an issue.. but for me with constant leg surgeries and stuff, it was atrocious test driving.
3. That excessive moving burns up them damn motors sooner and more often = Ā¢0$t$ repairs.
4. "F" that sunroof.. you ever had one leak on you? If you did, you might not ever want another one. Ever. Plus, the cloth liners on our beloved Honda's sunroof covers (inside @ ceiling) seem to wear quicker than the actual ceiling liner itself.. probably just a result of more contact but makes it look.. ..very worn ahead of time, before the rest of the car gets close to that point. It drove me nuts, Lol.

Afterthought: the only downside I seen to the Sport over the EX was only the center exhaust prohibiting the addition of a Reese Hitch on the Sport models, which is a bad idea on a CVT transmission to begin with. Obviously no biggie with Manual trans tho..

I already have a Reese Hitch on my '98 L/EX Sedan, so it didn't bother me anyways.
My seats don't move on their own. They do have that in the 2021 Pilot (I think it is the SE) depending on the key in your pocket, but not the Civic EX. Possibly the touring?

5 years with a CRV-EX and my wife's 2014 Pilot is 7 years (just hit 100k) with no leak. My last car was a Toyota with 90k miles and 7 years on it, no leak. I've never had one leak, maybe an aftermarket one.
Sponsored

OP
OP

pandoraa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Country flag
I was in the same boat back in September. I was content with a sport, but bought the EX. I liked the center exhaust, and sportier look of the sport,but actually glad I got the EX instead. Living in PA during the winter it was nice having the heated seats (they even come on when you remote start). The heated mirrors are also nice to stop snow & ice buildup, or even when the fog over while driving. Then you also get the bigger screen, which I also didn't think I'd need, but man it's nice having my Waze app on a screen that size. I agree the sport has a nicer look, but mine is a daily also and I like the comforts of the EX knowing the motor etc are the same as in the sport.
Thanks, this input really helped.. especially considering since I also live in PA. Does this thing handle when our roads get bad? I'm used to my Jeep with 4WD, which I know I can't expect it to match, and hell I even spun out in my Jeep and hit a guardrail on I-80 a few months ago in that last bad snow. But yeah, just wondering more about your experience with it on PA roads in the winter. Going to test drive one tomorrow. Only one in Aegean Blue around here that I can see.

S2KGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
Thanks, this input really helped.. especially considering since I also live in PA. Does this thing handle when our roads get bad? I'm used to my Jeep with 4WD, which I know I can't expect it to match, and hell I even spun out in my Jeep and hit a guardrail on I-80 a few months ago in that last bad snow. But yeah, just wondering more about your experience with it on PA roads in the winter. Going to test drive one tomorrow. Only one in Aegean Blue around here that I can see.
Slap on some winter tires and drive appropriately and youā€™ll be fine. I used to drive my S2000s in the northeast winters without issue.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
I upgraded from my sport sedan to an ex hatch because 1) I wanted a hatch, and 2) I wanted upgraded options (sunroof, lanewatch, rear seat pocket, rear cup holders/armrest, etc...). At times I regret not getting the sport hatch because of the aesthetics, I also regret not trying to get the sport touring... end of the day, Iā€™m happy with my ex hatch. Really all boils down to what extras you want, and your budget.

PN_man

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si (Lunar Silver)
Country flag
I was strongly considering a sport hatch (I wanted a manual) before I got my SI sedan. If I had gone that way, I would have added aftermarket heated seats. The sunroof is not such a big deal for me, but my last car had heated seats and once you have them it's very hard to go back.

Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
I agree with the other comments about tires. I'm south of Pitt near the mountains, and we get decent snow (not like what hits north of Pitt), but a good dedicated set of winter tires is ideal. I ran winters on front, and the stock all seasons on back and had no problems at all. Of course, driving responsible (even as hard as it is in this car) does make a difference also.

aerodynamics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PWP 2020 Hatchback Sport Manual
Country flag
Really depends what you options you want. I chose the sport because it had almost all the features I wanted but more importantly, it doesnā€™t have the extras I donā€™t care for like sunroof, power seats, etc. The sport is relatively light by todays standards at just over 2800lbs. With a few simple mods like exhaust, battery, seats, you could easily get it near 2600 lbs. I agree with the poster above about sunroofs. Iā€™ve never seen a car that looked better to me with the sunroof than without. To me, they ruin the lines of the car and make the chassis less rigid. I used to have a MR2 with t-tops that leaked and trust me when I say you never wanna go through that.

Also in Japan, the only trim available is the sport. So all the cool JDM stuff is made for the sport.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I hope they give you a super good deal because next month they would want to get rid of as many of the 10th Gen as they can.

OP
OP

pandoraa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Country flag
Now I'm considering just going with the Sports Touring.. but I can't find one in Aegean Blue anywhere haha, or even white. But the Aegean Blue isn't even available when you build on on Honda's site. Is it just not a color offered in the Touring trim?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had a 17 Manual Sport and now have a 20 CVT Sport. The update made a big difference in 20 with the big screen and phone integration plus the new gauges and leather on the seats and center console. I am starting to want a manual again but they didn't make a stick in blue on the Sport in 20-21 apparently. Also, white is an upcharge for some reason on the 21. I mean if you don't need the extra power options that the EX gives you then Sport is the way to go. More options from the aftermarket as well if you get the bug, and you will.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Before 2019, sport touring. But since the headunit is updated. The regular sport is fine if you donā€™t care for leather. That is really the best value. Body kit and the exhaust upgrade included.
Sponsored