Decent dash cam ?

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My Anker Roav Dash Cam C1 is out of commission after 2yrs of good service it has provided me. Battery in the device expanded and is no longer operable within reasonable terms. Looking into a new dash cam with good or better quality within $150 price range. And no Chinese crap. Lmk what you have and how it’s held up with usage and heat. Thanks!
Sponsored

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Be honest with you I think that’s all you’re going get out of one I just replace one I had for two years I paid over 100 bucks for it had it in my Elantra and put it in the civic it was a roav also and I live in south west Florida. My brother in law had the cheap ones and they lasted the same amount of time. The one I installed in my car this weekend is a Hyperion for 50 bucks at Walmart it WiFi to a smart phone

Honda Civic 10th gen Decent dash cam ? 9E01A9FC-4DFB-4856-AE7A-882EE069DEAD

OP
OP
MarshX

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Be honest with you I think that’s all you’re going get out of one I just replace one I had for two years I paid over 100 bucks for it had it in my Elantra and put it in the civic it was a roav also and I live in south west Florida. My brother in law had the cheap ones and they lasted the same amount of time. The one I installed in my car this weekend is a Hyperion for 50 bucks at Walmart it WiFi to a smart phone

9E01A9FC-4DFB-4856-AE7A-882EE069DEAD.jpeg
Interesting. I’ve read online that if you’re going for a dash cam, you should go for one that has a capacitor instead of built in battery. I might look into that or buy a totally cheaper dash cam

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been using the Rovi CL-6000 Prime for about 4 months now. Seems to work well.

Context: Crazy lady tried to pass on the shoulder, I blocked her and she proceeded to try and run me out of my lane and brake check me. 2nd Clip is some dumbass turning into my lane, thinking blinker = all is clear.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol you’re in the IE like me. Camera looks good thanks
That daily drive on the 60fwy home leads to some interesting shit that requires a dashcam LOL.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't seem to hear about them much anymore but I have a cc rexing , vp1 I think Is the model , front and back cameras, was 120.00.
It's held up through two summers, with temps reaching over 120 degrees in my closed up car.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
My Anker Roav Dash Cam C1 is out of commission after 2yrs of good service it has provided me. Battery in the device expanded and is no longer operable within reasonable terms. Looking into a new dash cam with good or better quality within $150 price range. And no Chinese crap. Lmk what you have and how it’s held up with usage and heat. Thanks!
I've thought about getting a dash cam & have seen postings & videos showing them hooked up to the car's 12V system that is always powered on. Are some models battery powered only, and the battery is not replaceable?

Or is this a backup battery? If connected to an always powered on fuse terminal why would a backup battery be needed?

Thanks for any information on what to look for.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep, as @MarshX said, the capacitor model are the way to go. I went through three battery powered cams of various makes. Always failed after the summer heat took its toll.

These regularly go on sale for $50
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/

I have one in both our cars. They have held up through two summers now.

Pair it with a good high endurance SD card and you should be good for a while:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P3D6Y5B
Hear, hear
No complaints with my AUKEY.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
For that price I'd get this think ware.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thinkw...a-dash-cam-gray-black/6197501.p?skuId=6197501

Think ware sells a hardwire kit to hide the wires.

Garmin makes really good dash cams as well. They've been designing devices that can live in the heat for a long time.

Rexing V1P is a good choice, I just think it's ugly.

More expensive dashcams are more worth it in my opinion. I've been buying dash cams for years, in my personal car I've had about 3 since I bought it in 2016. I spent quite a bit on my Momento M6 and if it doesn't hold up for 3-4 years I'm going back to buying sub 200$ dash cams.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've thought about getting a dash cam & have seen postings & videos showing them hooked up to the car's 12V system that is always powered on. Are some models battery powered only, and the battery is not replaceable?

Or is this a backup battery? If connected to an always powered on fuse terminal why would a backup battery be needed?

Thanks for any information on what to look for.
The battery is so you can remove the camera from the car and view the footage, with my camera, the battery only lasts about ten minutes.

OP
OP
MarshX

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
To be fair, my Roav Dashcam C1 was very good in terms of design and quality and function. It just didn’t hold up after 2yrs. I spent about $90. I usually leave my car with the reflective shade on the dash under direct sunlight. I think this makes the dashcam, which sits in the middle just under the mirror, extremely hotter. I’m not too sure, but hey, I still love the design and form factor of it. Anyways, the Aukey is the closest looking one so that’s on my list. I would like a Garmin or BlackVue or perhaps a Thinkware but I’m just not sure how they’d hold up against the heat–plus they’re expensive. To add to that, every dash cam has similar operating temps. I’m just so undecided lol

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
To be fair, my Roav Dashcam C1 was very good in terms of design and quality and function. It just didn’t hold up after 2yrs. I spent about $90. I usually leave my car with the reflective shade on the dash under direct sunlight. I think this makes the dashcam, which sits in the middle just under the mirror, extremely hotter. I’m not too sure, but hey, I still love the design and form factor of it. Anyways, the Aukey is the closest looking one so that’s on my list. I would like a Garmin or BlackVue or perhaps a Thinkware but I’m just not sure how they’d hold up against the heat–plus they’re expensive. To add to that, every dash cam has similar operating temps. I’m just so undecided lol
It's best if you use a sunshade to cut a hole in it for the cam. Make sure it's a cheap one tho

OP
OP
MarshX

MarshX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's best if you use a sunshade to cut a hole in it for the cam. Make sure it's a cheap one tho
That’s how I have mine. But maybe I might switch to a non reflective shade
Sponsored