Debating new tires and wheels - any suggestions?

patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Civic Si back in November with ~28k miles, and ran into a pain in the ass series of issues involving the front left tire. In summary, a slow air leak resulted in multiple trips to the dealership and after some not pleasant rants to the service department they are replacing it for free with another new OEM Goodyear Eagle Sport.

The remaining three tires are still very old and worn. Since it's not worth driving an almost new car with 3/4 shit tires, I've come to the decision of either buying three more of the OEM's to match the replacement, or just sell the replacement tire and buy 4 different ones altogether. I'm leaning more towards the latter as A) I've heard the OEM Goodyear tires don't hold up well (well duh) and wear mechanical components a lot faster and B) I already have a set of Blizzack winter tires so will not benefit from the advantage of all seasons.

I'm more so looking for a set of summer tires that will provide a smoother, higher performance ride with better handling than those out of the factory. Additionally, I was thinking of putting the factory rims on my winters for easy changeovers since they are a bit torn up as well. If anyone with more knowledge in this area could provide suggestions on the tires or where to find decently priced rims, I'd be thrilled to learn from your experiences. Hoping to keep the budget under $200 a tire if possible. Thanks guys!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For the money, I think Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's might fit the bill.

Honda Civic 10th gen Debating new tires and wheels - any suggestions? original

Hazzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
I purchased a wheel and tire package from TireRack. They mounted and balanced them and included the hub centric rings and new lugnuts and they were delivered to my door. TireRack has a large selection of wheels and if I needed another set, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.

Enkei TSV 18x8.5 +38
255/35 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
I purchased a wheel and tire package from TireRack. They mounted and balanced them and included the hub centric rings and new lugnuts and they were delivered to my door. TireRack has a large selection of wheels and if I needed another set, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.

Enkei TSV 18x8.5 +38
Nice. I just picked up the exact same wheels. I put on 245/40 General G-Max RS tires.

OP, before my new wheel and tire setup I had the Indy 500s on my car and they are definitely great tires for the price. That being said they aren't the quietest tires but the performance and the road feel is great. So far the G-Max RS are a little quieter than the Indy 500s but I've only driven on them for about 15 miles so I can't compare the performance.

OP
OP
patrickb7

patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

Enkei TSV 18x8.5 +38
Thanks for the recommendation - definitely considering going with a TireRack package now, can't believe they throw in mounting and balancing too. Sounds like a super efficient benefit.

After doing a bit more research, I'm now wondering if going with a set of A/S would be a better option than pure summer tires. Living in Western NY the weather is unpredictable, for example I took my winters off in early March and got a few inches of snow just yesterday ?

I narrowed down to two wheels, between AR904 and AR929. Lower than average costwise, I like the look and AR has gotten a good rep from what I've read. As for tires, if all season then looking hard at the Pilot Sport 3+ or 4.

Out of curiosity, did you run into any interference issues when mounting your wheels? +38 seems like a pretty big change from the OEM +50 offset

Hazzard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Nope, no issues at all, +38 brings them almost perfectly flush. I am still on stock suspension, but I have a set of Whiteline springs that I will install eventually.
Before I purchased, I did lots of reading in the wheels and tires section, messed with wheel and tire size calculators. I will try to get some pictures when I get home this evening.

Bluecoupe777

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If going with all season tires I would highly recommend the Michelin A/S Pilot Sport 4s, they definitely grip better than the OEM all seasons despite being in the same category.

The Bad Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 CBP Si Sedan, 06 G6, 15 Silverado
Country flag

Jmeix

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
I ran BfGoodrich comp 2 a/s for about 2 years and have nothing but great things to say about them. Very grippy in the summer, rain, and work well in the snow as well (if you live in a snowy climate). Tread life is 45k miles but i have had no issues with excessive wear.

OP
OP
patrickb7

patrickb7

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nope, no issues at all, +38 brings them almost perfectly flush. I am still on stock suspension, but I have a set of Whiteline springs that I will install eventually.
Before I purchased, I did lots of reading in the wheels and tires section, messed with wheel and tire size calculators. I will try to get some pictures when I get home this evening.
I just placed an order, and came back here to ironically discover I bought almost the same setup as yours haha. The TSVs seemed like the best choice for quality and cost imo.

Final decision was Enkei TS-V 18x8.5 +45 wheels with 235/40 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Never really had the summer tire experience so passed on getting all seasons. Super stoked for them to get here, will try to post some pictures after mounting them

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda RF 2021 Toyota Supra GR 3.0
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Civic Si back in November with ~28k miles, and ran into a pain in the ass series of issues involving the front left tire. In summary, a slow air leak resulted in multiple trips to the dealership and after some not pleasant rants to the service department they are replacing it for free with another new OEM Goodyear Eagle Sport.

The remaining three tires are still very old and worn. Since it's not worth driving an almost new car with 3/4 shit tires, I've come to the decision of either buying three more of the OEM's to match the replacement, or just sell the replacement tire and buy 4 different ones altogether. I'm leaning more towards the latter as A) I've heard the OEM Goodyear tires don't hold up well (well duh) and wear mechanical components a lot faster and B) I already have a set of Blizzack winter tires so will not benefit from the advantage of all seasons.

I'm more so looking for a set of summer tires that will provide a smoother, higher performance ride with better handling than those out of the factory. Additionally, I was thinking of putting the factory rims on my winters for easy changeovers since they are a bit torn up as well. If anyone with more knowledge in this area could provide suggestions on the tires or where to find decently priced rims, I'd be thrilled to learn from your experiences. Hoping to keep the budget under $200 a tire if possible. Thanks guys!
Just like GTman replied. The Firestone indy 500 tires are the best bang for the buck. I had them on my old 370z.

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
Just put them on yesterday and couldn't be happier with the new setup:

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3997.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

Thanks again to everyone for the advice! ?
looks nice. I am going with the Enkei TS10 18X8.5 +35 WITH A 235/40 tire. yours are a +45 ? I am wondering what the +35 will look like cuz yours are pretty close to flush with your fenders? I was told from Fitment Industries i should have no issues with the size i chose including no rubbing issues.. I am wondering now if i should go with a higher offset? like +38 maybe.. so confusing..lol