Dealerships not prepping new cars properly after the sale

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went straight to the GM to buy my 2020 hatch. When he was having it detailed and checked out, people listened to him and did a fantastic job. I don't waste my time with people on the floor.
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I told them not to wash my car when I bought it because they do a half assed job and are more likely to scratch it than clean it.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Been dealing with a dealership for 8 years. 2 Fits, 2 9th gen Civics, and now an SI. In every case, the car was not washed, waxed, detailed, filled with gas as advertised, or inspected for imperfections. Each time, I took the cars back to be done right. The only reason I keep going to them is because they are a superstore and can sell for less than the average dealership. So I buy an SI a few days ago, and today after days of no sunlight discover several scratches in the clearcoat. Rather than take it back, I polished them out cursing my stupidity for buying the car at night.

I spoke to several people who recently bought new cars and they say the same thing. Dirty wheels, spots on the dash from poorly sprayed protectant, water spots on the paint, too much armorall on the tires splashing on the lower body panels. It goes on. They complain and the salesperson just shruggs, says sorry, and 1 - 2 hours later your car just had a simple car wash and maybe a cheap spray wax.

Just curious how many have had the same issue and your resolution other than posting a poor review on Yelp, etc.
Superstore? Maybe they uhh, sell for less because they don't detail your cars? That's shitty.

My car came so clean and spotless. It was beyond spotless, if there is such a thing. What I don't get is, by the 3rd car, why didn't you tell them if it comes to you dirty, they can drive it up their ass?

Last edited:

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Mine was fully gassed up and detailed. But I picked it up the day after a foot of snow fell. So the "Ooooh! Shiny new car!" feeling lasted until I pulled it out of the lot. :(

I need to find out what air freshener they used, because it smelled great and lasted for a week or so. Not bad, considering it must have been a spray. Smelled like cherries or something.

I tried the California Scents "Coronado Cherry", and it literally smells like vomit. Cherry scented vomit. I figured the first one might have been a fluke, so I got another. Same thing. Had numerous people verify, so I could make sure I wasn't crazy. :dunno:
Maybe it wasn’t an air freshener. One time I bought a tire dressing that had a strong cherry smell, a little smell got into the car when I got in and out of it so the interior a had a nice smell. I don’t like air fresheners because they are usually too overpowering for me, but the smell of the tire dressing that worked it’s way to the interior wasn’t overpowering so I liked it.

HalfBreed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sport Sedan, 2.0 CVT
Country flag
Maybe it wasn’t an air freshener. One time I bought a tire dressing that had a strong cherry smell, a little smell got into the car when I got in and out of it so the interior a had a nice smell. I don’t like air fresheners because they are usually too overpowering for me, but the smell of the tire dressing that worked it’s way to the interior wasn’t overpowering so I liked it.
I didn't even think of that, but it's definitely a possibility.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Been dealing with a dealership for 8 years. 2 Fits, 2 9th gen Civics, and now an SI. In every case, the car was not washed, waxed, detailed, filled with gas as advertised, or inspected for imperfections. Each time, I took the cars back to be done right. The only reason I keep going to them is because they are a superstore and can sell for less than the average dealership. So I buy an SI a few days ago, and today after days of no sunlight discover several scratches in the clearcoat. Rather than take it back, I polished them out cursing my stupidity for buying the car at night.

I spoke to several people who recently bought new cars and they say the same thing. Dirty wheels, spots on the dash from poorly sprayed protectant, water spots on the paint, too much armorall on the tires splashing on the lower body panels. It goes on. They complain and the salesperson just shruggs, says sorry, and 1 - 2 hours later your car just had a simple car wash and maybe a cheap spray wax.

Just curious how many have had the same issue and your resolution other than posting a poor review on Yelp, etc.
The beast advice I would give anyone when getting a New car from a dealer
( and unfortunately there is no other way to easily buy a new car) is

(1) Only to buy one that has very recently been delivered from the factory.. Ideally order on and get it right after it is delivered.
(2) Do not let the dealer "WASH" or "DETAIL" it ( EVER !!!) They are guaranteed to add micro-scratches to the paint.
(3) Assume that they did NOT carry out the pre-sales checklist correctly,
Go over the list, expecting to spend at least 1 hour checking everything, and check everything yourself ..(or get a trusted, car savvy friend to help you) in particular
(a) Tire Pressures
(b) Wheel nut torques
(c) Oil level ( BS Overfilling is not a bad thing)
(d) All surfaces, inside and out from "imperfections"
(4) Thoroughly inspect the car, before you agree to buy it, or sign anything.
You want it "right: in Factory Fresh condition from day 1 -- not with defects that the dealer says they will FIX !!! -- Chances are, they will NEVER be fixed 100% correctly.

The list goes on ...

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I don’t get mad: I just check everything (I mean everything as in: “everything”), whatever time it takes. If they say they will fix it later, I say fine, I will come again and sign later when it’s fixed. If they say they can’t hold the car so long, I say OK, then you can keep it forever. The readiness to abandon the deal is crucial. If the factory only mounted three wheels, I say no problem and kindly ask if they could please screw on one more wheel, please. I don’t expect much, because dealers haven’t given me many reasons for expecting excellence.

But I like the dealer system and won’t buy cars from factory, certainly not if there is any wait time.

Having said that, my dealer is quite OK (that’s why it has the honor of still being “my Honda dealer”). They prepped and cleaned the car satisfactorily. No superpressure in the tires. They drive you to the close by exxon to fill up. (This requires two employees.) Of course I got 93. The car was clean, but not perfectly detailed, and I didn’t want it to be. Instead, they give a coupon for free detail at the body shop they use, to get it done anytime later. This is optimal. I would expect a better chance for a good job at a body shop than at a dealer. I still never used that coupon.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Actually, it was Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos. I only went there because of the low prices I would get and I have a sign and drive 0% (with a 592 score) through Honda Financial after 8 years of on time payments . My next purchase will be more cautious and with another dealership.
Need to live for more than just a car. 8yrs of "on-time" payments on cars, but your FICO is a 592. That's higher interest (always). I would surmise that you have quite extensive use of credit cards with higher balances. The delivery of the car isn't as important as your overall financial health. Also, NEVER trade or sell your current vehicle and roll the negative equity in a new one - that's just not smart either.
Sponsored