First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
if you want to buy ONE crush washer from Honda dealership...you better have $5.25
My local dealership (not where I purchased my Si) sold me the crush washers for $0.50 each, so I bought 10 of them, to make my 30 minute trip worthwhile. I'm no fan (or enemy) of dealerships.
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
My dealer charge me $89 for engine filter and $85 for cabin filter. I refused right away haha.

Sean McLaughlin

2018 Civic Si
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Hey guys,

As usual, I always do my oil changes at the dealership since I don't have anything at home to do it by myself.

Turns out this time the 'advisor' ? Not sure what to call them, came to me and told me that it was critical that I change my engine air filter right away.

I laughed in his face and told him to take a look under the hood and tell me if he would be able to change the filter. Thing is, I have a PRL Short Ram.

Typical BS from the dealership, trying to scam people and make a quick buck.

Thanks to the dealership though, I will check and see if I can buy some jack stands, etc to make my own oil changes from now on at home. I lost my respect for them.
At my last oil change at my dealer the "advisor" told me I needed an alignment because my car was nearing 30000 miles. Absolutely absurd!???

supaaacharge98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
I avoid the dealership as much as possible, Iast time I went there was for them to fix a recall and I got a free car wash out of it so I am happy haha

Conor

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I had to take my wife's Outback in recently for the air bag recall. Of course they did their "courtesy inspection" and came back with a few things - including both front marker light bulbs being out. That's the kind of thing I do myself, so I picked up a couple of bulbs from my local parts store. It occurred to me to check myself before replacing them - neither bulb was burnt out...

As others have said - there's many reasons they get the "stealership" label.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
You all did this to yourselves.! (smile) You researched trade-in values, invoice prices, dealer holdback, and incentives and refused to allow the dealers any guaranteed profit whatsoever. They have to make money somewhere or they won't exist to sell you a new vehicle or fix it if it breaks under warranty. So, they have to maximize profits in the service department by charging high labor rates, recommending unnecessary services, and underpaying mechanics which flushes out the good ones and replaces them with less-experienced ones with a lower work ethic.

With that said, I avoid dealerships like the plague. I'm fortunate enough to have the knowledge and equipment to perform my own maintenance and repairs, but I understand not everyone has that option and must rely on others. I'll even perform some of my own warranty repairs at my expense just to avoid the high risk of damage, annoyance, and inconvenience associated with dealer service departments.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Well since we are talking about dealerships, let me tell you what I did with my Trump bucks. I ordered an F- Sport Sway bar set from Lexus of Sacramento (thank you Lexus of Sacramento!) and Performance Lower Control arm bushings from RR Racing! Now I have almost no body roll in turns and stiffer steering. Next round of Trump bucks....a Cusco RS LSD Differential! I am putting our tax dollars to use and some poor Lexus dealership workers get to keep their jobs another day. War not included...

ian408

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type R Sonic
Country flag
LMAO they never said that to me, but they did highly recommend that I serviceing my brakes at the cars first oil change, which was about 7,000 km. I just laughed and said no thanks.
That might be a reasonable suggestion depending on how old your car is. But it'd be a fluid flush/change. But first time, certainly not needed.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
You all did this to yourselves.! (smile) You researched trade-in values, invoice prices, dealer holdback, and incentives and refused to allow the dealers any guaranteed profit whatsoever. They have to make money somewhere or they won't exist to sell you a new vehicle or fix it if it breaks under warranty. So, they have to maximize profits in the service department by charging high labor rates, recommending unnecessary services, and underpaying mechanics which flushes out the good ones and replaces them with less-experienced ones with a lower work ethic.

With that said, I avoid dealerships like the plague. I'm fortunate enough to have the knowledge and equipment to perform my own maintenance and repairs, but I understand not everyone has that option and must rely on others. I'll even perform some of my own warranty repairs at my expense just to avoid the high risk of damage, annoyance, and inconvenience associated with dealer service departments.
You know what I say to that? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAA HA HA HA HA more money in my pocket! On a serious note, probably only one or two percent of the population do what you stated above. The majority of people who buy from dealerships are ripped off. They pay way over MSRP, they are tricked into buying services they dont need and frankly can't afford. They are ripped off in financing. So what you are saying is patently not true. Although it is true that most dealerships are cashed strapped due to loans and having to keep large inventories, they still rip the majority of buyers off. I've seen and experienced it for myself (I was ripped off the first new car I ever bought in 1994), and I've seen the poor suckers next to me being ripped off

Last edited:

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
My dealer charge me $89 for engine filter and $85 for cabin filter. I refused right away haha.
Yeah, i got charge $90 for the pair on and old car which got me to look up cost of filters and how to replace after that. I'm not sure why more people don't do it themselves.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Ha, I'm surprised they didn't come out waving some old OEM filter around in the air and claiming it was yours. I've seen that one before.

HAHA years back i took my old Honda Civic to a local jiffy lube (bad i know) and they came out with the air filter in hand and just totally confused. um, so, we checked your air filter is and is is FULL of bugs. They were not scamming me.. This was in MD, and they were not used to seeing Love Bugs from FL.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
no its not,

he is just doing his job,

the advisors recommend services based on mileage/duration and vehicle service history

no need to get your back up and all defensive about it
I cannot exactly agree with this. If you follow the maintenance minder on the car - they should not be attempting to upsell a bunch of stuff. I took my 09 ridgeline in - they tried to sell me on so much crap other than an old change.

headlight restoration, transmission fluid , rear diff - all items that come up with the normal maintenance minder. I can 100% understand if they cant see any previous history on a car - but - i tell them i follow the maintenance minder religiously.

Also the same dealership that could not figure out my drive shaft was bad.

Also - we told them we would be dropping the truck off, and taking our other car to run errands. They then proceeded to block our other car in their lot - informed them they needed to move a lot car - they said sure we will get right on that. Never happened.

I have no issue with young people - if anything i am more understanding of them - but that dealership was being run by a bunch of kids.

They also took a 2020 SI - drove it through the mud, sprayed mud all over it.. then installed the splash guards overtop of the mud.

I will agree "they are doing their job". Their job is to upsale as much as possible because they earn a commission.

And i also feel bad when i can hear them trying to scam other people....

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
I like my dealership, been exclusively using the same advisor for 16 yrs. she’ll pull a coupon out her butt to lower costs every time.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I like my dealership, been exclusively using the same advisor for 16 yrs. she’ll pull a coupon out her butt to lower costs every time.
That sounds...unsanitary
Sponsored