First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys,

As usual, I always do my oil changes at the dealership since I don't have anything at home to do it by myself.

Turns out this time the 'advisor' ? Not sure what to call them, came to me and told me that it was critical that I change my engine air filter right away.

I laughed in his face and told him to take a look under the hood and tell me if he would be able to change the filter. Thing is, I have a PRL Short Ram.

Typical BS from the dealership, trying to scam people and make a quick buck.

Thanks to the dealership though, I will check and see if I can buy some jack stands, etc to make my own oil changes from now on at home. I lost my respect for them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Michael's FC2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX sedan
Country flag
Hey guys,

As usual, I always do my oil changes at the dealership since I don't have anything at home to do it by myself.

Turns out this time the 'advisor' ? Not sure what to call them, came to me and told me that it was critical that I change my air filter right away.

I laughed in his face and told him to take a look under the hood and tell me if he would be able to change the filter. Thing is, I have a PRL Short Ram.

Typical BS from the dealership, trying to scam people and make a quick buck.

Thanks to the dealership though, I will check and see if I can buy some jack stands, etc to make my own oil changes from now on at home. I lost my respect for them.
LMAO they never said that to me, but they did highly recommend that I serviceing my brakes at the cars first oil change, which was about 7,000 km. I just laughed and said no thanks.

2020EX

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX, 2003 Accord EX-L
Country flag
This is their MO. Thing is, they use these tactics on customers because they work. Don't know how many times I've been waiting form my car and hear the "advisor" alerting another customer that they need to get this or that service done.
"Ma'am, did you realize that the air in your tires is over 12 months old? We recommend changing it, and can take care of that for you for $109 plus tax." Customer then unwittingly agrees to the scam.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I've owned Toyota's for the last 25 years and only used the dealerships for oil changes and service when it was already covered (Toyota throws in 2 years routine maintenance when you buy the car), as soon as I have my last service, I take it to an independent mechanic I've been taking my cars to for the last 10 years. As far as when I owned my Si, I never once took it to the Honda dealer, even for the free oil change.

He charges me $60 for oil change (full synthetic plus OEM filter), tire rotation and inspection. On my Toyota's and my Lexus he charges me $160 per axle for brake jobs (includes OEM parts, rotor rotation). Dealers are pointless to me unless you are getting warranty work

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
this obviously depends on the stealership but the honda one i've been to far has been a mixed bag as it literally depends on the advisor. The old mitsubishi one i used to deal with was always fantastic. Now on the flip side i've also found that just by pointing out you have filters at home tends to get the PS repair suggestions to go away. tends to get the idea across that you're there because you're lazy, not because you can't fix it yourself.

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
LMAO they never said that to me, but they did highly recommend that I serviceing my brakes at the cars first oil change, which was about 7,000 km. I just laughed and said no thanks.
I had this one with a Fiat, first oil change and they were telling me I needed new pads. For years I thought that would be the lowest-effort pitch from a service department advisor, but never count a Honda dealership out of the running.

I took my Si back 3 days after purchasing it new to have the dealer decal removed from the trunk, as was promised during the sale, and while waiting for that to be done the service advisor came around and said they did a courtesy check on my brakes while my car was in for service and I really need to replace the pads soon. And wouldn't you know it, he was willing to offer me a nice little 10% discount if I got it done right away.

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Did they mean your cabin air filter? They used to tell me to change it every time I'd go. I literally put a new one in a week before I went to the dealership and they pulled it out and said it was dirty and that I should replace it. Like c'mon guys...

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
That was a bad cocky move. I just say no as simple as that.

Pretty sure he made a note on your car profile with a picture showing the intake.
Good luck doing a warranty claim in the future about an engine/transmission issue.

Do your own maintenance and save the receipts.

Stryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
Country flag
I started changing oil myself because of everything going on. Went the extra step and changed out my transmission fluid while I was at it. Also bought a K&N cabin filter after finding leaves and crud in mine. Feels better doing your own maintenance anyway. Next up - brake bleeding and figuring out if I want to attempt replacing my own brakes eventually.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
He probably meant your cabin air filter in the glovebox becuase people always forget about that one. But even then, it's like a $10 part and something that can be done in minutes. But they'll want like $50+

Regardless, the dealer will always try to nickle and dime you!

I had a real funny momement at a dealer when I had torn CV boot on an old Acura TL that led to one of half axles snapping. Decided to change both halves and a dealer quoted me $2500 for parts and labor... Got parts AND labor at an indy shop for under $500.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
He probably meant your cabin air filter in the glovebox becuase people always forget about that one. But even then, it's like a $10 part and something that can be done in minutes. But they'll want like $50+

Regardless, the dealer will always try to nickle and dime you!

I had a real funny momement at a dealer when I had torn CV boot on an old Acura TL that led to one of half axles snapping. Decided to change both halves and a dealer quoted me $2500 for parts and labor... Got parts AND labor at an indy shop for under $500.
My local dealers charge 80-90$ for cabin air filter replacement.

Couple years ago I had my CR-Z at the dealer for a warranty repair. Also had a blown headlight, but I didn't tell them since I wasn't going to pay them to replace it anyway. After the repair they come back with the "complementary" inspection, and tell me everything checks out good, including the lights. I didn't say anything but noted it in the survey later on, which got a response back.

A year later I go there again for a deal on an oil change. For shits and giggles I take out the turn signal bulb. Comes back later and again everything checks out, lights are good and all. This time I let them know it's missing a bulb and the service manager gets visibly upset and says he'll handle it.

Third year they found the missing bulb :p

OP
OP
Masked

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
He said cabin air filter + engine air filter, both of them, laughable anyway since I only got around 20k miles on the car

Stryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
Country flag
He said cabin air filter + engine air filter, both of them, laughable anyway since I only got around 20k miles on the car
Have you checked your cabin filter though? At 18k mine was full of leaves and crud. And my air filter looked pretty dirty too when I took it out.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Best to check your filter before saying that - our Si cabin filter only makes it about 30k miles before it's filled with trash (leaves and tree seeds). The air filter looks okay at 50k. We live in a rural area. there was a recent post from someone who lives in a "dirty area" and his was black after 14k!
Sponsored