First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Piazza Honda of Pottstown in PA told me they would match another dealership’s offer of MSRP on a 2018 Type R. I own a 2017 Si with 14,400 miles on it. Everything was running smoothly until they show me the trade in value for my car at $18,200. I was blown away. I know you can’t go off KBB, but to say my car is worth $1,600 less than the minimum on KBB is ridiculous. The fact that they just moved money around to essentially make the price the same as it would’ve been if I paid the mark up. What do you guys think I should do? I’ve had another dealer offer MSRP as well as stating they’ll give me AT LEAST $19,600 for my car. I really want to step up to a Type R, but dealers are so money hungry that they refuse to help you out. I would recommend never buying a car here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Try Carvana before you sell it to a dealership. The tax savings might not make up for the difference, because Carvana is pretty fair on their prices.

Last edited:

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I did the same...traded my 17 si coupe on the 18 r. They lowballed me also but I talked them up to just under 20k so I was slightly less disappointed but less so than the original offer at ~$18,500. I thought about carmax but my state offsets taxes on the trade amount so factor that in. In my case I saved around 1700 by traded just on the tax difference. And as justinas said, plan to go to lots of dealerships. They are all different. Also, plan to use you legs alot, as in walk away from deals you dont like. Eventually, you will get pretty close to what you want..just may take some time.

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I went to Mike Piazza Honda to buy an Si and they would not take me seriously. Didn't even bother showing me the colors or interiors. Bought mine from Davis in NJ.

Nerd-Vol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Sedan, 2004 S2000
Country flag
You laid it out pretty well yourself. Go to the dealer who was ready to make you an offer you like.

Failing that go to car max and have them put a number on it.

trucker den

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2017 pilot touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope the other dealership wasn’t Hazleton Honda. That place is a joke!

Afdad120108

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Same thing happened to me. Dealership told me they would sell it at MSRP with me trading in my 17 Si with 8k miles...trade in value of $15k. I laughed and walked out with them trying to tell me "But wait we can work with you"...nope ill pass.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
People always say "dont tell them you have a trade in till the last minute".. I dont think that makes any difference and its usually pretty obvious you have a trade when you do. I have never been able to hide it.

I just like to negotiate the car OTD first then negotiate the trade in and then the financing. In my experience if you are getting an amaze-balls deal on a car you are going to be lowballed on your trade. They will try to offset that 'cost'. Just be a hardass and walk out if you have to, its just part of the game. But by all means get the car where it is the cheapest unless you MUST deal with a certain dealer you literally owe them nothing. They are trying to make money and even if you get an awesome deal and they give you a lot for your trade they will still make money.

If you are getting a good deal, usually your experience at the dealership will last all day or 4/5 + hours between all the back and forth garbage.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The purchase price and the trade in price need to be two separate conversations and negotiations. A dealer will always try to combine them because they move money around to make a deal look better than it likely is. For example, if they sell you an 18 CTR for $36k and give you $19k for your Si, it is exactly the same as if you get the CTR for $37k and they give you $20k for your Si It is all a big game.

Also, KBB is a little bit of a joke. You have to use KBB, NADA, and any other estimating software available. It is all contingent on model availability and how well the dealer thinks they can sell your trade in. If you buy a vehicle on their lot that has been there for a little while, you can ultimately negotiate a better deal.

In the end, get the deal you want, or as close to what you want as possible, or walk away.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
piazza honda....is everything in pa and nj italian?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
yeah KBB is a joke. They don't look at KBB, they look at auction pricing and check the worst case scenario and then offer you an amount.
From my experience, they usually offer 1k under MMR most of the time on a trade in.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dealership lowballed me LfiDvh

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
KBB is for entertainment purposes only~ They never had real transaction history to back them up.

Trade in is pointless in CA since we don't have tax credit ...

trucker den

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2017 pilot touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also do not forget dealer can tack on to your APR in most states. Sometimes as much as 1%. They also do not have to disclose this to the consumer. If possible, go in the dealer pre-approved but don't let on that you are. Work out price, trade then finance. Do not disclose anything until you reach that step. Also have your wife there playing good cop insisting you should get the warranty during test drive. This way they will think they can make some more money on the warranty(of course you will already have your quote from hyannis)
Sponsored