Dealer testdrives your car on cold engine - thoughts?

OP
OP
Wabby

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Granted this isn’t my car so of course it’s easier for me to say this but...

yes. I do agree with you he could’ve let it warm up more but as he was a person in the dealership I don’t think they have the liberty to wait around to warm up the car completely. Of course I would’ve wanted it warmed up too but I think that was beyond the thoughts of the person who only wanted to test drive the car, which another poster mentioned, they have right to test drive the car if your trading it in.

On the plus side is that he didn’t look like he was abusing the car and was even in the right lane. If he really wanted to abuse the car he could’ve been flogging the car in the left lane at higher speeds.

if that were my car, would I be happy? No I wouldn’t. Was he abusing the car? Not really. Could’ve been much worse. I got my stick shift 2003 Accord back With grooves cut into the front tires from what looked like from someone doing burnouts with it.

How many miles are on the car btw?
Since they asked to have the car for at least two hours I would think that they could do a proper drive and warmup. They basically started the car, went to the closest main road and did few pulls and back again. All over in less than 15 minutes.

Tradin is just a consideration. But I think their way of trade in is strange. Usually they give you an offer based on what you say about the cars condition. And when handover happens, they usually test and check the car. If something is wrong they change the trade in offer.

But here.... They wanted test drive before even giving an offer. And the new car won't even be available for next 6 months. So it all seems just strange.

Car has 36k kilometer, so the break in is way done :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
From my experience (YMMV) ALL stealerships are assholes. They have all the power on their property and they abuse the hell out of it.
I would go back there and ask to drive the most expensive car they have and I'd BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF IT and watch them helplessly squirm next to you on the seat......Turnabout is fair play. Like they're going to grab the steering wheel on a launch...

Jokes aside I would be very upset too.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Since they asked to have the car for at least two hours I would think that they could do a proper drive and warmup. They basically started the car, went to the closest main road and did few pulls and back again. All over in less than 15 minutes.

Tradin is just a consideration. But I think their way of trade in is strange. Usually they give you an offer based on what you say about the cars condition. And when handover happens, the usually test and check the car. If something is wrong the change the trade in offer.

But here.... The wanted test drive before even giving an offer. And the new car won't even be available for next 6 months. So it all seems just strange.

Car has 36k kilometer, so the break in is way done :)
Yes, that does seem odd given they don’t even have the new car you’re looking for.

Glad at least the engine is broken in.

It’s really hard to trust anyone with you car. People just don’t respect other people’s property. Very sad. I used to work at a dealership and I treat the car as if the customer was sitting in the car with me.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
So I decided to sell my 944 turbo S track car truck and trailer and buy my CTR to make my life simpler. Had my 944 Turbo S sold, but I need to have a local shop install a new starter. I told the shop owner please no one drive my car under any circumstances as its sold and someone is coming across country to get it
Picture say a thousand words

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer testdrives your car on cold engine - thoughts? 20190509_140618

IHadToRun

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Country flag
So I decided to sell my 944 turbo S track car truck and trailer and buy my CTR to make my life simpler. Had my 944 Turbo S sold, but I need to have a local shop install a new starter. I told the shop owner please no one drive my car under any circumstances as its sold and someone is coming across country to get it

20190509_140618.jpg
I would've ended up in prison if that was my car....

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag

20190509_140618.jpg
Ohhh maaaan. I would just die if that was my car, but that would be after I took out a couple people first. Man. That’s sooo bad. Sorry to hear that.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ohhh maaaan. I would just die if that was my car, but that would be after I took out a couple people first. Man. That’s sooo bad. Sorry to hear that.[/QUOTE
Thanks BABY NSX
Lucky for me the person still came out and bought it as a parts car. Then Haggerty insurance made up the rest. But I'm still pissed! as I told the shop numerous times DON'T DRIVE THE CAR!
So trust no one! Hey almost bought a 95 NSX when they only cost $25k used, not any more : (
FYI the 944 had a stroker engine 2.85 putting out 400 HP fully race prepared

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow, try to find a first gen NSX for that price now! I was a tiny bit entertained about getting one of those too but not practical but they are such beautiful cars. Would’ve wanted one with the flip up headlights in red with gold BBS euromesh rims. Targas are sweet.
Nice Porsche! 400hp in that car must’ve been awesome!

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are nuts to sell that car!!
Keep it!!
I'm no spring chicken and it all became a bit too much. Get the car teched then go load it on the trailer, tools, tires etc etc go to track get teched again
So if I sold it all, what could I get that would be a good daily driver, get Grandkids, mulch at Lowes
and take to the track????? Bingo Honda Type R!
Must say the last time at track with my 944 turbo S track car I passed a lot if tough competition ie
BMW M5, M3, Nissan 370, Caymans a few 911's
It will be interesting to compare the difference when I take my CTR to the track. I just have to make sure no one will test drive it before hand!

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer testdrives your car on cold engine - thoughts? 20190411_122242

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i wanted to buy a 944 back in the late 90's but couldn't find one in decent condition around here
They are out there, but getting harder to find as they are getting up there in age and they can really drain your wallet! Hey if you can't throw a match on your track car and set on fire, then walk away, maybe do another hobby

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Well, if you trade in the CTR, it’s the stealer’s (and the eventual buyer’s) problem, I suppose.

Not ideal, but I wouldn’t make a Federal case out of it.

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
Nothing gets damaged wringing out a cold engine. You'll consume a little oil because the pistons havent expanded yet so the tolerances are looser cold thats all. Stop overreacting
Sponsored