Dealer swap taking too long?ys)

chety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Coupe EX-T
Hi guys, i'm looking for advice here. Tl;dr first and long version down below.

I just bought an EX-T coupe 2 weeks ago from now, got aproved and everything awaiting dealer to provide VIN# so I can set-up my insurance.

But everytime i'm calling them i'm routed to the voicemail and i'm not even getting a callback.

My current status on the car is - still waiting for the salesmanager to do a "trade" with another dealer, i'm being told that it is happening quite often. (2-3days top)

Needless to say i'm quite worried about this situation as it went from 2-3days to 2week.End of tl;dr

At first they rushed me to get HFS aprove as soon as possible, and got back to me 2 days later with an green light.
From there it's silent radio... No more update, salesman asked me to be in touch with Finance Director, and finance director got lost and told me she'll get back to me asap and I quote.. " give me a few minutes, i'll get back to you in like 5-15min, let me check with the salesman". Never heard back from her left 2 voicemail on different days.

When trying to reach the salesman he's either (on lunch, days off, out of office, with a client). Gave up on him as he told me his mom just passed away, I respected that and gave my deepest condolences then never called him back as he told me to be in contact with the finance director...

Finally I tried to reach the Sales-manager as last resort, unsucessfully...

I understand that swap between dealer might take a little or longer than 2 week. But shouldn't they get back to me with an update regarding what's hapenning with the "trade"?
Have anyone experienced anything similar or how long does trade usually take?
Im pretty sure it's any day from now.. Might be today or tomorrow or next week top (finger cross)

Thanks in advance for any constructive comments.
Sponsored

Ma_deuce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2002 ZX2, 2017 Si Coupe
If it is a dealer swap, it should be very quick and getting the VIN for you should not be an issue. Did they say that they had already found your car or that they were going to watch for it?

It's possible that they traded for an upcoming allocation, in which case it hasn't been delivered yet and that's what the hold up is.

OP
OP

chety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Coupe EX-T
If it is a dealer swap, it should be very quick and getting the VIN for you should not be an issue. Did they say that they had already found your car or that they were going to watch for it?

It's possible that they traded for an upcoming allocation, in which case it hasn't been delivered yet and that's what the hold up is.
They found the dealer with the car from day 1. Not sure if they had it for sure or it was sold or wtv the reason, I still didn't get any callback yet.
I'll try and give them a call tomorrow for an update, hopefully someone pick up the phone..

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
They found the dealer with the car from day 1. Not sure if they had it for sure or it was sold or wtv the reason, I still didn't get any callback yet.
I'll try and give them a call tomorrow for an update, hopefully someone pick up the phone..
Why don't you just drive out to the dealership?

OP
OP

chety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Coupe EX-T
Why don't you just drive out to the dealership?
I'm working night shift and I tried once but didn't saw the salesman.
But i'm keeping an eye on the other dealer and it seem like they finally agreed on a swap.
At this point I don't want to bother them anymore as it seem like im wasting their time.

Hopefully the pdi doesn't take too much time so I can drive it this weekend hehe.
Only Vinlock might cause some delay as I believe its not done by the dealer.
If any know anything about tagging feel free to express your knowledge.

Thanks

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your whole situation sounds suspect to me

OP
OP

chety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Coupe EX-T
Your whole situation sounds suspect to me
what do you mean?
I called them earlier and it is in a PDI process. :)
I guess I was just being ignored unintentionally..

Edit: will pass by the dealer later, i'll update later tonight at the job.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
what do you mean?
I called them earlier and it is in a PDI process. :)
I guess I was just being ignored unintentionally..

Edit: will pass by the dealer later, i'll update later tonight at the job.

Thanks guys
I have bought many new vehicles, what you describe is complete opposite of my many experiences. Maybe it is a Canadian thing? Don't know, but sounds like you are getting the run around, or a bait and switch or?

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
In Canada you'll never take home a vehicle on the same day as signing even if in stock.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
That sucks
I think on the premise that credit works differently in Canada too. I think Credit takes far longer to approve up north since it's always with the manufacture. You therefore can't bring a preapproved rate and ask them to beat it. Also, there's legislation against spot deliveries. Since there's less selection and people in Canada, dealer trades happen far more often and there's usually no fees associated with that.

Oh, no temp plates or paper exist either and it's illegal to drive without it.

OP
OP

chety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016 Coupe EX-T
I didn't expect to get the car the same day tho, i was told 2-3 days for them to provide me the car.
I believe it would be possible if they had it in stock, but when i heard the director asking him if they have it in stock he said yes.
Got tricked there, anyways no big deal.

But good news is they're working on the pdi process and will be completed in (3 business day) i only asked for vinlock as it was required by the insurance company, idk why it is taking so long. Many other cars before mine?

I was told that they cannot let me have the car until Monday night. "We cant let you drive the car before monday"
Car has not much to be done by the pdi process she said (financial director).
I have everything ready, even insurance company is waiting for the Ok.

Recap -
2 days for HFS approved same day
Almost 2 week for dealer swap
And 3 business day for pdi process

Note: this thread was only made to make sure that every process is normal and share my buying experience.
Only complain I personally have is the delay they took to give me update. It was very hard to be in contact with the dealer staff.
AnticiPation... From 2-3 days to almost 2-3 week (including week end)

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I would expect 2-3 business days for a car that was instock. I would expect 2 weeks for a dealer transfer and for an allocation from the factory, up to 4 months depending on model (Pilot, low trim Odysseys) My 2014 Civic was a dealer transfer, took 1.5 weeks. My allocation for my 2016 Civic took 2 weeks but I stuck lucky knowing a white Touring was allocated that soon.

Here's the thing, they keep you optimistic and excited. However, when a dealer asks to trade for the car, its another round of negotiations. Whether it's car for cash or for another car or a combination of both. That process can take a bit of time if a dealer is being stubborn. But as an example, why would I want to trade my EX-T coupe knowing I could sell it when you're offering me a CR-V that I have 50 of and can't unload without rebates and heavy discounts?

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
It's possible, from beginning, they had no dealer to swap car with and the dealer tried to bought some time. The fact that they were not responsive and transparent, I would have moved on if I had a choice.

In my case long ago, they ended up offering a different color because they never had my color.
Sponsored