Dealer says my compressor is "coming apart"

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
100 % right.

I never drive my car with A/C on. I always disable A/C on screen unless it is very hot.
I can have fresh air from outside ( temperature knob to 0) or warm air from the car.
If you don't do that, compressor may run......

Arooge ; or dealer want your money with selling you a compressor you don't need ?
You have to drive with your control to OFF, if it's in AUTO the A/C compressor will cycle.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer says my compressor is "coming apart" AC ControlJPG.JPG
Sponsored

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer after it started leaking massive amounts of burnt transmission fluid. They said it was from a sensor, which I didn't fully believe, but I went ahead and had them replace the transmission as they recommended. My a/c quit blowing cold over a year ago, so I had them look at that while it's there. I was hoping it was the condenser and it would be covered under warranty, but I was informed today that my "compressor is coming apart" and that is my issue, and that I need to replace the condenser, compressor, and a valve. For 2100$ how does a compressor "come apart" and does this sound legit or am I being fleeced? They sent me a message within 1 hour of me requesting my ac be looked at saying all that stuff is bad. Don't they have to remove the entire dash to access the compressor? 2016 2.0 automatic cvt
The dash no..... That's the heater core.......

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Just had my compressor replaced. 6yr. Old ext......38k..... Leaking seal in compressor...... So glad I had extended hondacare warranty..... Pd.....$0.... It pays to have extended warranty...

joe3456789

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I use my a/c 100% of the time while driving
The system needs daily lubrication to maintain seals and doesn’t cost anything but a few horses. That said I’ve only run into one bad seal on a 4 year old 1990 accord.
had a compressor leak. I hunted down a ‘93 gasket that fit and saved me some money.
LOL, I never use the AC. I use the windows and I have bad allergies. Let me run it today for 5 mins.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Just had my compressor replaced. 6yr. Old ext......38k..... Leaking seal in compressor...... So glad I had extended hondacare warranty..... Pd.....$0.... It pays to have extended warranty...

How much cost a compressor ?
And how much extended warranty ?

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I took my car to the dealer after it started leaking massive amounts of burnt transmission fluid. They said it was from a sensor, which I didn't fully believe, but I went ahead and had them replace the transmission as they recommended. My a/c quit blowing cold over a year ago, so I had them look at that while it's there. I was hoping it was the condenser and it would be covered under warranty, but I was informed today that my "compressor is coming apart" and that is my issue, and that I need to replace the condenser, compressor, and a valve. For 2100$ how does a compressor "come apart" and does this sound legit or am I being fleeced? They sent me a message within 1 hour of me requesting my ac be looked at saying all that stuff is bad. Don't they have to remove the entire dash to access the compressor? 2016 2.0 automatic cvt
Just replaced my compressor with a used one. Everything looks perfect on both of them but one worked and the old one didn’t. Only 28k on it. These compressors aren’t made very well it seems. Or there’s another source for the issue that no one has figure out yey.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
A depressing thread to read.

The AC on our '16 seems to be in its death throes. Still putting out cooler air. Just not much cooler. Our '18 CR-V had the AC go out earlier this year. They replaced AC discharge hose, compressor, clutch set, coil set, refrigerant, due to leak/failed compressor. All on warranty. Hating to think what the Civic will cost to get fixed, assuming Honda eats none of it.

We've owned, each from new, '86 Integra LS (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '88 Accord LXi, '92 Vigor GS, '92 Civic Si (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '95 Integra GS-R, 2000 CR-V SE, '04 TL, '07 CR-V EX-L N, '16 Civic Touring, '18 CR-V Touring. Combined, across these Honda vehicles, it's over 433k miles and 53.1 vehicle-years of experience. We've never had an AC problem on a Honda car before this year. AC seems like a pretty mature technology. (Even if they have changed refrigerant gasses over the years and continually optimized them for better fuel economy.) There doesn't seem to be much excuse for suddenly having unreliable AC in a Honda.

Last edited:

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag

The AC on our '16 seems to be in its death throes. Still putting out cooler air. Just not much cooler. Our '18 CR-V had the AC go out earlier this year. They replaced AC discharge hose, compressor, clutch set, coil set, refrigerant, due to leak/failed compressor. All on warranty. Hating to think what the Civic will cost to get fixed, assuming Honda eats none of it.

We've owned, each from new, '86 Integra LS (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '88 Accord LXi, '92 Vigor GS, '92 Civic Si (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '95 Integra GS-R, 2000 CR-V SE, '04 TL, '07 CR-V EX-L N, '16 Civic Touring, '18 CR-V Touring. Combined, across these Honda vehicles, it's over 433k miles and 53.1 vehicle-years of experience. We've never had an AC problem on a Honda car before this year. AC seems like a pretty mature technology. (Even if they have changed refrigerant gasses over the years and continually optimized them for better fuel economy. There doesn't seem to be much excuse for suddenly having unreliable AC in a Honda.
I agree with you, outstanding your a owner of some great vehicles

We've owned, each from new, '86 Integra LS (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '88 Accord LXi, '92 Vigor GS, '92 Civic Si (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '95 Integra GS-R, 2000 CR-V SE, '04 TL, '07 CR-V EX-L N, '16 Civic Touring, '18 CR-V Touring. Combined, across these Honda vehicles, it's over 433k miles and 53.1 vehicle-years of experience. We've never had an AC problem on a Honda car before this year. AC seems like a pretty mature technology. (Even if they have changed refrigerant gasses over the years and continually optimized them for better fuel economy. There doesn't seem to be much excuse for suddenly having unreliable AC in a Honda.
After I got mine fixed, I checked to see how much freon my car needed........ Not much at all....0415 recovered, put in 0425.... To me my compressor wasn't that bad off......idk if I really needed a new compressor......

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag

We've owned, each from new, '86 Integra LS (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '88 Accord LXi, '92 Vigor GS, '92 Civic Si (w/ dealer-installed AC kit), '95 Integra GS-R, 2000 CR-V SE, '04 TL, '07 CR-V EX-L N, '16 Civic Touring, '18 CR-V Touring. Combined, across these Honda vehicles, it's over 433k miles and 53.1 vehicle-years of experience. We've never had an AC problem on a Honda car before this year. AC seems like a pretty mature technology. (Even if they have changed refrigerant gasses over the years and continually optimized them for better fuel economy.) There doesn't seem to be much excuse for suddenly having unreliable AC in a Honda.
After the time spent researching how to fix my issue via a DIY I have come to find that the new refrigerant seems to require a few things: higher pressure in the lines (more strain on the compressor), a ridiculously expensive and lucrative way for "SAVE THE PLANETers" to get paid big bucks (R1234YF is luckily not patented but is still being twisted for cost; i.e. (200g) $45 Autozone vs. $30 Napa or online), and basically it's a ploy in my opinion for money to be spent on repairs. All theory of course, but I was able to buy a USED compressor for $300 and install it for free (DIY). Then I paid the CHEAPEST shop to refill it for $180. SUPPOSEDLY they evacuated and recharged the system with R1234YF specific oil as well. After inspecting the old compressor-there are no leaks. I filled the system with dye and no leaks were found. There is a chance the evaporator has a leak (Honda tech on these forums has replaced a few - not sure if it's a scam yet).

I have videos of what happened to my compressor on here if you look them up. It's as if the internals of the compressor went bad.

I am tempted to buy a new pulley from Honda ($200) just to test my theory. But I don't have money growing out of my eyes. Or whatever the saying is.

BASICALLY, if this wasn't an issue the Honda would be perfect. And OBVIOUSLY Honda knows that if their cars were perfect...well our people that make the rules would never allow for such silliness.
Sponsored