Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote??

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
you can diy for much cheaper.
this is the smart way

I did mine myself with giro disc rotors, new rear blanks and winnmax pads all around for around $1300. That's with castor SRF fluid flush too. I did all the work and got a hookup on parts but your quote is a rip off is what I'm trying to say.
Sponsored

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
In this "analysis" printout they gave me it shows all 4 brakes (whatever that indicates) are at 3mm-4mm.

I agree that taking it to an independent mechanic (I have one 1 minute away who I've used multiple times already) is my best option after reading the responses here. That's a ridiculous markup I was quoted.
They meant the pads. The rotors have a minimum thickness at which they should be replaced.

Take a look at the pads - do they actually only have 3-4mm of material? For reference, 3mm is the thickness of two pennies stacked on top of one another. It's exceedingly unlikely that your pads have that little life remaining. The dealer tends to exaggerate on pads because they make so much money off their replacement.

Buy the parts yourself and take them to the mechanic to avoid pay any kind of parts markup.

randomisjustfine

First Name
Tadas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Always always always get a 2nd mechanic to look at your rotors if you don’t know what are you looking at yourself. I had 3 occasions when dealership would tell me I need new rotors, while my mechanic wouldn’t even see a need to resurface them... these guys will charge you $100 for replacing cabin air filter which doesn’t even need to be replaced at the time to begin with and that is like $12 part and 30 seconds of work with no tools included...

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Always always always get a 2nd mechanic to look at your rotors if you don’t know what are you looking at yourself. I had 3 occasions when dealership would tell me I need new rotors, while my mechanic wouldn’t even see a need to resurface them... these guys will charge you $100 for replacing cabin air filter which doesn’t even need to be replaced at the time to begin with and that is like $12 part and 30 seconds of work with no tools included...
And if the dealership is selling the car they'll tell you the rotors are fine even though the steering wheel shakes like it has Parkinsons when breaking.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Look at this videos he has a lot of examples with dealers trying to rip people off careful man alot of people who have no idea of cars get rip off everyday.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Look at this videos he has a lot of examples with dealers trying to rip people off careful man alot of people who have no idea of cars get rip off everyday.
Dude is telling a lot of truths, but he needs to lay off the artificial substances! Crap he made me nervous just watching him!:confused1:

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Took my car in yesterday for an oil change, new wiper inserts and to put my all season tires back on since the weather is far too cold for summer tires now. Dealer said my brakes have 3-4mm left on them and will need to be replaced next service visit.

He gave me quotes just so I knew what to expect. Are these REALLY that expensive?

Brake Rotors/Discs and Pads - Front - Replace - $871.95
Brake Rotors/Discs and Pads - Rear - Replace - $628.42

$1,783.50 in total before taxes. This is almost $2k for brakes.

Are these realistic prices? Is typical dealer markup thrown in there?
1. Take it to a place like Les Schwab and get a free brake inspection. The printout can confirm/deny the dealership's findings. You can make a repair appointment later, if desired.
2. Look for a private shop. I have a couple in my area that are run by ex-Honda and toyo techs. I take my vehicles there if something needs fixing that's beyond my comfort level to do. They will even use my new parts, if I want to bring them in.

SilentMonkCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R
Country flag
Took my car in yesterday for an oil change, new wiper inserts and to put my all season tires back on since the weather is far too cold for summer tires now. Dealer said my brakes have 3-4mm left on them and will need to be replaced next service visit.

He gave me quotes just so I knew what to expect. Are these REALLY that expensive?

This is their standard bullshit. Do not do them. I bet your pads aren’t even at the 3mm mark. Either way just get pads all around and have the rotors cut if they are bad. Which I’m guessing they are not.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've had two Honda dealerships quote me 220 labor per axle, so 440 total including resurfacing of the rotors (if applicable) for labor alone. I would have my own pads since I'm planning on side-grading to a Hawk HPS 5.0 (I got a front and rear set for 200 off of Amazon).

So let's break stuff down:
  • Front pads: 229 retail, 155 street
  • Front rotors: 231 retail, 161 street
  • Front axle labor: 220 (incl. resurfacing)
  • Rear pads: 122 retail, 85 street
  • Rear rotors: 136 retail, 95 street
  • Rear axle labor: 220 (incl. resurfacing)
I'm going to knock off 100 per axle since you wouldn't resurface rotors if you got new ones. So total for pads, rotors, and labor over both axles would be 958, let's round up to 1000. This assumes the dealer charges you full retail for the parts. If they are being nice and give you something closer to street price then it would be 736, let's round to 750.

If we're talking pads only then we're looking at about 600-800 depending on whether you resurface your current rotors for retail priced parts and 500-700 depending on whether or not you resurface your rotors with a closer to street price. I computed street prices from Hondapartsnow's website. Others will have similar numbers.

Note that it is very unlikely that you need new rotors. And judging by the prices you're quoted, it's look like they're nearly doubling the max number I could possibly come up with.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Was charged 100 by a local shop to change the rear rotors and pads which I supplied. Threw em an extra 50 just to cover their lunch.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag

Happened the same to me, took my car to the dealer for check some warranties and the service manager told me I had 2mm front and 1mm rear on my brake pads, they quote me like 2 k, I didn't have the money in that time, but I started to do my own research for brake pads and rotors. Replacing the pads and rotors for aftermarket, (girodisc and hawk) was around $900 and I have to do the labor course, I have waited around a month , saving money and keep researching, I decide to replace just the pads and left the rotors for the future. When I change my pads I realize the front pads was around 50% not at 2mm as have been told and the rear was 1mm, but after a month! and all that time driving like old lady because I don't want to get to the metal and damage my rotors. Short story, just change the pads, I replaced the pads and I flush my brake fluid, now the car feels amazing the brake pedal has no play, and has a great bite. I'm currently at 20k miles when I had replaced the pads and flush the fluid.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7478.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7479.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7480.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7483.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7485.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7510.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7512.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7514.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7515.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer said my brakes need to be replaced next visit. Is this a realistic quote?? IMG_7516.JPG

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
I've had two Honda dealerships quote me 220 labor per axle, so 440 total including resurfacing of the rotors (if applicable) for labor alone. I would have my own pads since I'm planning on side-grading to a Hawk HPS 5.0 (I got a front and rear set for 200 off of Amazon).

So let's break stuff down:
  • Front pads: 229 retail, 155 street
  • Front rotors: 231 retail, 161 street
  • Front axle labor: 220 (incl. resurfacing)
  • Rear pads: 122 retail, 85 street
  • Rear rotors: 136 retail, 95 street
  • Rear axle labor: 220 (incl. resurfacing)
I'm going to knock off 100 per axle since you wouldn't resurface rotors if you got new ones. So total for pads, rotors, and labor over both axles would be 958, let's round up to 1000. This assumes the dealer charges you full retail for the parts. If they are being nice and give you something closer to street price then it would be 736, let's round to 750.

If we're talking pads only then we're looking at about 600-800 depending on whether you resurface your current rotors for retail priced parts and 500-700 depending on whether or not you resurface your rotors with a closer to street price. I computed street prices from Hondapartsnow's website. Others will have similar numbers.

Note that it is very unlikely that you need new rotors. And judging by the prices you're quoted, it's look like they're nearly doubling the max number I could possibly come up with.
Dealers won't resurface the stock cross-drilled rotors. And you can actually find front rotors even cheaper - just $226 a pair.

People who maintain their cars at the dealership blow my mind - I can't imagine paying $600-800 just for new pads. Labor on the pads (especially the fronts) is so easy and you can get a full set of pads for like $125-$150. Just nuts.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
OP, how many miles you done out of interest?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
OK so my two cents. Based on average pads and not some name brand street cred race brakes. I changed my front brakes with full ceramic mid range pads for 87 dollars for the pads. Changing the front pads is super simple. It is literally two pins and a spring clamp you slip the pads in done. The rear brakes you can either get a tool for free (rental) from places like autozone and force the e brake caliper back in or buy a e brake reset tool for 60 bucks from amazon and the rear pads full ceramic were again mid range 60 bucks. The rear brakes are a bit harder to do but if you can follow a youtube video I did all my own brakes in less than an hour. Took back the rental tool and all I spend was cost of the pads. I would say that dealer is ripping you a new one. I think my local dealer when I asked said a full brake job on the R was like 460 or something like that which is why I chose to do it myself. But seriously the front brakes are literally something a drunk monkey can do I wouldnt pay anyone. The rear just watch a few videos they aint hard.

Any you seriously probably do not need rotors. Unless you track it. I car that is only a year or two old should not in anyway need rotors. If they are saying you do because they looked grooved. so do everyone brakes on this car. Every single R I have ever seen with the OEM setup has grooved rotors. Its normal for this car.
Sponsored

Last edited: