Dealer / KARR Security Upgrade - anyone have it?

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I was offered the KARR security system upgrade, which I declined at first. The finance guy offered me a better price later, at $399. I was not planning on getting it, but he was a good salesman and convinced me I needed the extra security.

How does the stock security work on the coupe? When I hit the "Lock" button on my key twice, the horn sounds and the red light turns on. Does this just mean it's immobilized without the key? I opened the door from the inside and no alarm sounded.

I guess I liked the idea of the upgrade sounding the alarm if the car door were to be forced open or the window to be broken. But is this thing going to go off if I bump into it or a ball bounces into it or something? I don't want it to be that sensitive, and from what I can tell most of you Civic owners do not have the upgrade.

I already did the paperwork but it has not been installed. I wonder if I can get them to put that money toward something else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Liviadus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WOP EX-T
I was supposed to get it. I had a friend who had one on his Tundra and every time a Jet flew by or a loud car would pass it, it would go off because of the shock sensors that detected movement/vibration.
I went through the owners manual and it said not to add anything to the immobilizer. Also not to add anything aftermarket to the alarm system. I didn't like the idea of them splicing the main wiring harness. So I printed out the pages that said not to add anything and took it into the dealership. I told them I did not want it on my car, they then said it was to late and they couldn't refund it.
They said it wouldn't void the warranty because it is a Honda alarm. So I told them to either give me the box with it in it and I would sell it on ebay, or to do my Window tint for the same price so they still got their commission. They agreed to the tint, I think because they knew at that point if they gave me the box and it wasn't Honda OEM they could get in trouble. I got LLumar CTX which was more then the alarm would have been.
They took longer then they were supposed to so they gave us a free oil change certificate and another certificate for a full detail for free. So an extra $275 value on top of the tint that we were going to end up buying anyway.

*If you haven't done your survey yet you can use that to help get it pushed through. Tell them if they work with what you want you'll give them their 10 stars that they need. 9 or less is viewed as a failure.

Last edited:

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Don't get it.

If you're truly serious about security, get a high-end Compustar installed at an actual audio shop, not some shitty brand the dealer is likely making huge commission on.

FWIW, shock sensors on compustars can be adjusted. Don't know about KARR.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
With these first run cars, I would hold off adding much to the electrical system. Some stories have made them out to be a bit touchy. Otherwise, an aftermarket alarm is fine.

To the OP, when you opened the door from the inside, did you have your keyfob with you? Pass it out an open window to someone and get them to walk away. THEN open the door and see what happens.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
They told me everything is already installed and they just need to activate it with a chip

I didn't want it because the finance guy was super sleazy, he first gave all these scenarios and then said it will cost like $1,200, i immediately declined, he asked if i had a costco membership i said no and he goes do you know anyone that does i said who doesn't, he go great it will only be $1,000, i still declined, then he plays the you seem like a nice guy i will give you the employee discount and charge you $600. In my mind i was thinking lets see you probably make money selling this to me at $600 and you originally tried to make another $600 off me when you initially offered this at $1,200

most of the time they still stuff from your car not really the whole car and no alarm is gonna protect from a broken window anyways

aegeanbluecivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic SGP Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Bro the finance lady who offered the karr alarm offered it at 399 right of the bat for me at Pacific Honda. That salesman is pulling your strings hard.

PandaXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T with Honda Sensing
Country flag
not my first roadeo so i knew this guy was garbage from the beginning but cant be mad hes just trying to make as much money as possible

Bro the finance lady who offered the karr alarm offered it at 399 right of the bat for me at Pacific Honda. That salesman is pulling your strings hard.

Angela1256

First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL
Country flag
The finance guy gave it to me for free and I also had it on my Fit (previous car)

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Hi folks,

New to the site and looking forward to learning...

Just took delivery of an EX-T and it's got one of these Karr security systems installed. They asked me if I want it and I said NO. The salesman was nice and said no problem, he'll just have the deactivation chip installed.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to remove it completely. Anyone gone down this road? Hope it doesn't use a bunch of scotchlocks or what have you to tap into the main harness. Less than thrilled...

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag