Dealer chipped wheel swapping out summer tires

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
To all of those saying "it is going to get bumps and chips anyway, just live with it", that is not the point.

The point is they damaged the paint of the wheel, they need to pay to fix it. It's that simple.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
To all of those saying "it is going to get bumps and chips anyway, just live with it", that is not the point.

The point is they damaged the paint of the wheel, they need to pay to fix it. It's that simple.
It seemed like the OP wanted a new wheel rather than a repair. I’m not 100% certain what the dealership meant when they said repaint. If they meant sand down the damaged portion and respray it so it looks like it never happened, that is totally fair. If they meant touch it up so it’s 95% unnoticed unless you look for it, that isn’t as fair. A new wheel for that amount of damage is overkill IMO.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
Disagree. I’d upset because they told you they could work on your wheels when they in fact did not have the tools to do so.
Makes sense. Sort of the same thing, though. Either way, the dealer didn't do a good job.

It also makes it very very clear that you should just bite the bullet and buy a set of winter wheels.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Makes sense. Sort of the same thing, though. Either way, the dealer didn't do a good job.

It also makes it very very clear that you should just bite the bullet and buy a set of winter wheels.
The dealer did screw up, definitely as they never should have touched those rims. It does look like they’re trying to make it right. How far they’re going is a bit unclear, though it would want to believe they want to repair the rims (sand down and repaint) which is good enough.

A winter beater set would be nice to have. OP would also be able to get a better set of rubber on those as well since I’ve found the NeoGen to be a pretty bad AS tire in my experience when I had them.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
Sucks. Next time use a shop that has one of the Honda approved Hunter Engineering wheel/tire machines (one is the Revolution Full Auto machine). Call (800)448-6848 for a location near you.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
If you go to pep boys they have matte black , universal this is what you want to match the paint. , do one coat , wet sand with 2000 grit and then redo if needed and polish.

my 2020 CTR Discount tire chip my rip since my new compact six had a staple. They refused repair since it could not be plugged and patched. Went to big o tires , people there were cool and fixed it by patching it , they did not damage the rim at all. I did notice the chip but did not make a stink about it at discount

my 2018 CTR had curb rash and completely fixed it with this touch up paint , i traded it in this pat July. Car was also sandblasted. Dealer loved the car

In the end if you keep this car more than 5 years just plan on buying some forged 20" rims or another stock set . Or do what i did trade it in and upgrade and get everything new again.
I kept my previous honda almost 14 years and wont be doing that again. We are going to see huge improvements in car tech the next 5 years with EV /hybrid . Personally if you love the car just buy a set of forged 19 or 20" rims in the future

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
That not be a dick and get the shop some donuts is a good move

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
It seemed like the OP wanted a new wheel rather than a repair. I’m not 100% certain what the dealership meant when they said repaint. If they meant sand down the damaged portion and respray it so it looks like it never happened, that is totally fair. If they meant touch it up so it’s 95% unnoticed unless you look for it, that isn’t as fair. A new wheel for that amount of damage is overkill IMO.
As long as it is back to looking like new, that was my point.

Telling someone "we never should have touched those wheels to begin with" just screams incompetence and lack of talent. Any dealer worth their salt should have no problem with these wheel and tire swaps.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
As long as it is back to looking like new, that was my point.

Telling someone "we never should have touched those wheels to begin with" just screams incompetence and lack of talent. Any dealer worth their salt should have no problem with these wheel and tire swaps.
Most Honda dealerships don’t have the tire swapping machine that works on low profile tires (which costs around 20k if I’m not mistaken). So by your logic, most (if not all) Honda dealerships aren’t worth their salt. To be honest, it makes very little financial sense for a Honda dealership to invest in a 20000 dollar machine that they’ll only use to swap tires on Type R’s (of which are very rare to begin with).

I agree with the tech that they never should have touched the wheels since they weren’t equipped to do said service. That statement basically says they fucked up (which they did). But just claiming that any Honda dealership that can’t change tires on a Type R isn’t worth their salt would include most, if not all Honda dealerships as they typically aren’t equipped to swap tires on a Type R. I know the two I frequent the most don’t have the machinery to do it.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I take my cars to Discount tire and just bring a dozen donuts / kolaches with me for the crew - never a scratch on a wheel.

Hook the people up that work on your cars and you will have a better experience. As for wheels - go to someone that does it day in and day out on all kinds of cars - dealerships do minivans and lame cars 99% of the time, they rarely touch a Type R wheel I'd wager. Discount tire? Pffft I'm nothing special.

But the kolaches - that's the secret + not being a dick and just being friendly and thankful for the work they put in. 99% of the time this stacks the deck in your favor, and if they do F-up they'll hook you up to fix it since you're not an ass.

NONE OF THIS implying the OP was an ass or anything, just some suggestions for how I get service from places :)

Good luck out there!
Discount tire manager told me straight up: "If we scratch your wheels we will NOT be paying to fix them - we don't have the machine to do your wheels."

I took this as a "don't come here" phrase. So I called my local honda/Acura dealer who said they do the new NSX wheels all the time for their dealership owner who tracks the shit out of his NSX and had them purchase the recommended machine.

I was annoyed because the person who did the work left the tire lube all over my wheels, forcing me and the service writer to clean them.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Discount tire manager told me straight up: "If we scratch your wheels we will NOT be paying to fix them - we don't have the machine to do your wheels."

I took this as a "don't come here" phrase. So I called my local honda/Acura dealer who said they do the new NSX wheels all the time for their dealership owner who tracks the shit out of his NSX and had them purchase the recommended machine.

I was annoyed because the person who did the work left the tire lube all over my wheels, forcing me and the service writer to clean them.
So odd - I've had my R worked on at two different discount tires - once with a blowout - once scheduled - no issues. Guess there are different skill levels / equipment at each place? Dunno.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
So odd - I've had my R worked on at two different discount tires - once with a blowout - once scheduled - no issues. Guess there are different skill levels / equipment at each place? Dunno.
Absolutely weird. I thanked them for being honest and I still go there for my two other cars with a more conventual tire/wheel setup.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Buy some gloss back and touch it up, move on. This happened to mine too, it’s practically unavoidable, it’s part of changing tires
It’s manual work, imperfect science
To add to this, the paint color should be Barilla Black if I’m not mistaken.
Sponsored