Dealer chipped wheel swapping out summer tires

WhisperPickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Now that it's getting colder, it's time to swap out the summer tires for all seasons. To protect the low-profile OEM wheels, I went to the dealer because they have a touchless tire changer. When I pick up the car, my previously unblemished wheel now has a white chip just outside the red rim.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer chipped wheel swapping out summer tires IMG_20201015_161427_01

The dealer offered to paint the wheel, but won't replace it. I certainly did not feel better when the Honda service manager said, "I didn't want to do these wheels in the first place," and, "We'll fix this but we're not touching these wheels again." I'm just disappointed.
Sponsored

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Now that it's getting colder, it's time to swap out the summer tires for all seasons. To protect the low-profile OEM wheels, I went to the dealer because they have a touchless tire changer. When I pick up the car, my previously unblemished wheel now has a white chip just outside the red rim.
IMG_20201015_161427_01.jpg

The dealer offered to paint the wheel, but won't replace it. I certainly did not feel better when the Honda service manager said, "I didn't want to do these wheels in the first place," and, "We'll fix this but we're not touching these wheels again." I'm just disappointed.
I would definitely fight the GM & store. I say this because he admitted fault and an excuse to you. Plus, they did actually damage it. I would find "one" wheel for sale on this site or FB and have them pay for it. If not, then via HONDA OEM Parts depatment.

Don't let them win. THATS 100% BS

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Juts put some touch up on it.
Chips and scratches are a normal occurrence.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
In fact it would be best to get some free swag in exchange

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The rims themselves aren't really damaged the the extent that they need replacement. I'd ask them to have the rims repaired (not just painted, unless that's what they meant by painted).

Also a word of warning, the NeoGen aren't really great all season tires. They're passable at best to be honest. That said, there aren't many other choices in the stock size.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Panda-R

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Unblemished? Do you have your car in a bubble and not drive or something? Drive some more you'll get more nicks and chips and maybe even a bent wheel.

If you have nothing better to do then go waste your time getting your wheel repainted or replaced or whatever then go for it.

Otherwise put some black touch up paint on it and watch it disappear. Use the time you saved to make money?

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
I wouldn't lose sleep over it, touch up paint will make it disappear

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
I'd be more upset by the fact that a Honda dealer is telling you they won't work on Honda OEM wheels. I mean, huh? They should be taking the same care with everyone's wheels, regardless of size or finish or whatever, and if it takes more time to work on these, then, sure, charge a little more for that time. But telling a customer that their totally stock OEM wheels are somehow out of bounds is whack.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I'd be more upset by the fact that a Honda dealer is telling you they won't work on Honda OEM wheels. I mean, huh? They should be taking the same care with everyone's wheels, regardless of size or finish or whatever, and if it takes more time to work on these, then, sure, charge a little more for that time. But telling a customer that their totally stock OEM wheels are somehow out of bounds is whack.
Disagree. I’d upset because they told you they could work on your wheels when they in fact did not have the tools to do so.

The Civic Type R’s stock rims utilize low profile tires that require a specific machine to remove the tires from without damaging the rim. Honda actually released a bulletin about this and warned dealers about It. The tool that removes low profile tires autonomously without damaging them costs upwards of 20k dollars USD or something like that. The Type R is the only Honda vehicle that utilizes such a rim/tire, so it would make 0 financial sense for a Honda dealership to invest in said tool. Most will actually bring it to another shop/dealership or tell the customer to do so.

Many people on these forums have urged drivers to go to an Acura dealership as they have many cars with such a wheel setup and are equipped to handle such a request.

Edit: though we’ve also seen a post of a user on here complaining that he was told over the phone that his tires could be changed, but then when he arrived the tech told him that he was mistaken as the dealership wasn’t equipped to handle that service. In either case, I’d rather that happened vs what happened to OP.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag
How much did you pay for the tire swap?

You DID pay for it, right? or was the dealer doing it as a courtesy?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I take my cars to Discount tire and just bring a dozen donuts / kolaches with me for the crew - never a scratch on a wheel.

Hook the people up that work on your cars and you will have a better experience. As for wheels - go to someone that does it day in and day out on all kinds of cars - dealerships do minivans and lame cars 99% of the time, they rarely touch a Type R wheel I'd wager. Discount tire? Pffft I'm nothing special.

But the kolaches - that's the secret + not being a dick and just being friendly and thankful for the work they put in. 99% of the time this stacks the deck in your favor, and if they do F-up they'll hook you up to fix it since you're not an ass.

NONE OF THIS implying the OP was an ass or anything, just some suggestions for how I get service from places :)

Good luck out there!

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I'm guilty of being obsessive about little things like this too but I've gotten better at just accepting that these things aren't going to be historic artifacts and damage is inevitable.

It looks pretty small so I'd have them touch it up and see if you can get some sweeteners thrown in like a service or two, or maybe some accessories etc.

Blood_TypeR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R SGP
Country flag
u Gona blow a fuse when u get a rock chip on your ctr..I know that white chip on your rim eating away on the inside your Brain ? ..
Sponsored