tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The difference between internet smarts and real world smarts, experience.

One day you will get there, take it easy young fella.

There is the experience of 1 person (maybe 2 or 3 or 4 or however many people you want to give as examples) and there is the experience of thousands that Honda has as a whole (probably tens or thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions). One has more than enough data for statistical significance, the other doesn't; Honda's data dwarfs individual experience by many orders of magnitude, whether it be number of tire techs or number of tires changed.

If there was a full-proof method (error rate of < X%, Honda would define X which is probably related to the cost of the rim and the wage of the techs) to unmount the tires safely on the normal hardware that the dealerships use, then Honda would have just released a bulletin saying to use said method instead of recommending a 20-30000 dollar machine to do it. But it appears you've found such a method! However, I find it unlikely that Honda couldn't find the same method working as well as you claim it to be.

Like I said, you're welcome to disagree with Honda with all your years of experience you have changing tires. But I'll tend to agree with who I feel has the most overarching data... And in this case it's the entity that designed the car.
Sponsored

Fk8Desu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '13 Acura TL SHAWD, '12 Acura RDX, '05 Acura TSX
Country flag
Just off topic here, but the Costco tire shop can change out Type R tires as well. As long as you have membership they charge $19.99 each for mounting rubber. They do have the equipment to work on most if not all vehicles especially clients with higher end low profile tires. Just a tip if some of you are looking for an alternative shop.

However, I do take pictures of my rims before mounting in case and afterwards as well.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
There is the experience of 1 person (maybe 2 or 3 or 4 or however many people you want to give as examples) and there is the experience of thousands that Honda has as a whole (probably tens or thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions). One has more than enough data for statistical significance, the other doesn't; Honda's data dwarfs individual experience by many orders of magnitude, whether it be number of tire techs or number of tires changed.

If there was a full-proof method (error rate of < X%, Honda would define X which is probably related to the cost of the rim and the wage of the techs) to unmount the tires safely on the normal hardware that the dealerships use, then Honda would have just released a bulletin saying to use said method instead of recommending a 20-30000 dollar machine to do it. But it appears you've found such a method! However, I find it unlikely that Honda couldn't find the same method working as well as you claim it to be.

Like I said, you're welcome to disagree with Honda with all your years of experience you have changing tires. But I'll tend to agree with who I feel has the most overarching data... And in this case it's the entity that designed the car.
You are just beating your head against the wall trying to fight tooth and nail to justify your already proven false rationale. You realized about halfway through our conversation that you were wrong and needed to alter course, and everything since then has been damage control.

Again, the facts are indisputable here and I laid them all out perfectly for you. I thought you told me "goodbye" already?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You are just beating your head against the wall trying to fight tooth and nail to justify your already proven false rationale. You realized about halfway through our conversation that you were wrong and needed to alter course, and everything since then has been damage control.

Again, the facts are indisputable here and I laid them all out perfectly for you. I thought you told me "goodbye" already?
I'm not sure where I altered course nor where I was proven false or shown "indisputable" facts, but OK. You do you.

Edit: I do remember a civil argument that ended up with nothing but mud slinging and insults from one side...

Last edited:

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I'm not sure where I altered course nor where I was proven false or shown "indisputable" facts, but OK. You do you.

Edit: I do remember a civil argument that ended up with nothing but mud slinging and insults from one side...
:rolleyes:

The Civic Type R’s stock rims utilize low profile tires that require a specific machine to remove the tires from without damaging the rim.
^^^Proven false ^^^

You read the Honda Hunter bulletin and just thought "oh since Honda techs are clearly gouging wheels, you must need this 20k piece of equipment to swap tires". Again, that is a lack of experience on your part.

Get your feelings out of it and just realize you didn't know what you were talking about and call it a day. If you think it is an insult for someone to tell you that you clearly mistaken, it may be time for a safe space.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
:rolleyes:

^^^Proven false ^^^

You read the Honda Hunter bulletin and just thought "oh since Honda techs are clearly gouging wheels, you must need this 20k piece of equipment to swap tires". Again, that is a lack of experience on your part.

Get your feelings out of it and just realize you didn't know what you were talking about and call it a day. If you think it is an insult for someone to tell you that you clearly mistaken, it may be time for a safe space.
The only feelings that appear to be hurt are yours, as your replies to @tinyman392 read rather abrasively. Calm yourself.

OP
OP
WhisperPickle

WhisperPickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Update:

-I ended up paying a 3rd party shop to powder coat my OEM wheels satin black. They're now scratch/chip free once again, more durable, and beautifully compliment the SGP paint.
-I asked the dealer to refund the tire change service and provide a rental car while my wheels were being powder coated. They agreed, but only after I filed a formal complaint with American Honda and the Better Business Bureau. The dealer never admitted fault, which was frustrating. Interestingly, the refund check lists wheel damage on the memo line... The real shame is I ended up figuring out a win-win solution, but the dealer lost a customer based on how they chose to handle the situation.
-Conversely, the guys at the powder coat shop were true professionals. Even though they were accustomed to exotics (worth many times more than my $40k Civic), they actually showed a lot of love for the Type R. Their advice was to only use a shop with a Hunter or Corghi touchless tire changer AND experienced techs. They also tape the wheel face for added protection when mounting tires, and that's after powder coating. They recommended warning tire shops ahead of time just how unforgiving the Type R OEM wheels are when changing tires due to the super low profile. They suggested even big box tire shops may agree to cover the cost of powder coating or refinishing in the event of damage.
-Lesson learned!

Honda Civic 10th gen Dealer chipped wheel swapping out summer tires IMG_20201120_172055

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Update:

-I ended up paying a 3rd party shop to powder coat my OEM wheels satin black. They're now scratch/chip free once again, more durable, and beautifully compliment the SGP paint.
-I asked the dealer to refund the tire change service and provide a rental car while my wheels were being powder coated. They agreed, but only after I filed a formal complaint with American Honda and the Better Business Bureau. The dealer never admitted fault, which was frustrating. Interestingly, the refund check lists wheel damage on the memo line... The real shame is I ended up figuring out a win-win solution, but the dealer lost a customer based on how they chose to handle the situation.
-Conversely, the guys at the powder coat shop were true professionals. Even though they were accustomed to exotics (worth many times more than my $40k Civic), they actually showed a lot of love for the Type R. Their advice was to only use a shop with a Hunter or Corghi touchless tire changer AND experienced techs. They also tape the wheel face for added protection when mounting tires, and that's after powder coating. They recommended warning tire shops ahead of time just how unforgiving the Type R OEM wheels are when changing tires due to the super low profile. They suggested even big box tire shops may agree to cover the cost of powder coating or refinishing in the event of damage.
-Lesson learned!

IMG_20201120_172055.jpg
Looks sharp! Enjoy and hope you're damage free going forward :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Update:

-Lesson learned!

IMG_20201120_172055.jpg
Congrtats. The wheels do look very sharp :)