leaat23

First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 10 1.5l Vtec Turbo
Country flag
So today I needed my car for the first time in 5 weeks due to covid restrictions, I was greeted with a totally dead battery so removed it and put it on charge(Ctek charger) . My car is a 19 plate 1.5cvt prestige and is garage kept, the car does NOT have idle stop and I'm in the UK. The battery I took off does not have any EFB notice on it but is made by Varta in Spain. I have been looking around the Honda forums and it seems these batteries are a little flaky and do not hold the charge over long standing periods. I'm thinking of upgrading the battery to a high performance yuasa, if so what type /number is it.

Is this battery a 'standard' battery?, remember I don't have idle stop on this car.​
Sponsored

SichuanHot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the car sat untouched for 5 weeks in the winter cold, it is not surprising the battery discharged below 11.8V and has already incurred sulphation damage. You might be able to charge it up for a temporary run to get a new battery. I would replace it with the cheapest battery you can find. It should be a standard 51R sized and invest in a float charger, like battery tender jr, to keep the battery healthy during long periods the car is not used.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Get the dealer to replace your battery under warranty if it has gone bad first. Almost any battery will drop below 12v in a month of a sitting car. I forced the dealer to replace mine easy

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Is this battery a 'standard' battery?, remember I don't have idle stop on this car.
It'll most probably be an EFB. - I'm not sure how you've ended up with a non-auto stop car in the UK, as all EU models should have it - Do you have the "Off" button above the adaptive dampers / ECON button?

Possible it just hasn't worked, as there is also an ECM Update out at the moment for auto stop.

Your best bet, if you're in manufacturer warranty, call honda assist - They should sort you out with a new battery if it is dead.

If you do want to do it yourself, you can upgrade to an 096 Size for extra capacity / cranking power:- I've got an 096 AGM which is your best bet for performance.

OP
OP

leaat23

First Name
Lea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 10 1.5l Vtec Turbo
Country flag
It'll most probably be an EFB. - I'm not sure how you've ended up with a non-auto stop car in the UK, as all EU models should have it - Do you have the "Off" button above the adaptive dampers / ECON button?

Possible it just hasn't worked, as there is also an ECM Update out at the moment for auto stop.

Your best bet, if you're in manufacturer warranty, call honda assist - They should sort you out with a new battery if it is dead.

If you do want to do it yourself, you can upgrade to an 096 Size for extra capacity / cranking power:- I've got an 096 AGM which is your best bet for performance.
I have no idle stop button in the car, there is just a blank cover, my old 17 plate 1.5 manual DID have idle stop but that was written off. I did ask the question when I test driven the car but the salesman could not answer it. I also drive an 18 plate 1ltr civic Cvt on a regular basis, that has idle stop. All I can think is on the 1ltr you can accidentally jump forward at islands when auto stop starts the engine, it can be quite sudden at times if you've not got brake hold on. Honda may have dropped the idle stop for this reason, who knows. The car is due a service anytime soon and I will tell them about the battery problem. The Honda battery dies not have anything on it that's states its EBF or should be replaced with EBF.
Sponsored

Last edited: