Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

It's my wife's car. Battery is dead and they key she has will not open the car. It physically fits and turns but it will not mechanically unlock the door.

So how do we get into the car? Googled and searched YouTube videos with no luck. Seems like a stupid problem because the key should be able to open it mechanically. And we have two sets of these keys and they both will not work. Neither electronically or physically.

She had this problem yesterday leaving work but at some point was able to use the key to electronically unlock the car but needed a jump to get home (It was late). Today is the next day and we can not get in again. The key physically didn't work yesterday during the episode in the garage either.

Getting a new battery as soon as we can get in, to access the hood latch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dead Battery - Cant Open Car with Key Keys
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Myx

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just read a couple threads in here. Yeah, it's an issue apparently. The mechanical linkage inside the handle/door was either never hooked up from the factory, worked itself loose or broke. I tested my key to my 2018 Civic EX Hatchback and I can feel resistance inside the door handle as I turn it to unlock it. My car unlocks fine mechanically. There's no resistance when turning my wife's key inside the door handle.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cant-unlock-my-si.44816/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cant-unlock-car-with-fob-or-physical-key.50438/

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
*Sometimes*... if you wait until the car has gone into sleep mode; a low battery will have barely enough of a charge to unlock the door with the button. Otherwise... so far as I know... it's time for wire hangers or wedges.

Good luck.

Reactions: Myx

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
I never even thought about testing to make sure my key works every once and a while. Guess something to add to the oil change checklist.

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
I never even thought about testing to make sure my key works every once and a while. Guess something to add to the oil change checklist.
mine doesn't unlock at all with the physical key

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
My 19 hatch locks/unlocks with the physical key when the battery was dead, hoping it is an early gen thing

Spencer2131

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
If you're out of options a gentle kit is your best bet. If you can't get that a blood pressure cuff and a long piece of wire go a long way. Good luck
Sponsored