Dead Battery and Warranty Question

HockeyGuru03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi! My battery recently started having issues and (stupidly) I bought a new one and installed it without checking the warranty. Then I remembered the warranty, checked, and it is still covered. Apparently it is three years and I've had the car for way less than that.

This may be a silly question, but do I have any recourse at this point? Maybe a free oil change or something at the dealer? :)
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I suppose if you still had the old battery that you could put it back in and go to Honda. But honestly... they'd just give you a newer piece-of-crap battery to replace the older piece-of-crap battery. You may have saved yourself a lock-out in the rain or a no start situation in a parking lot by replacing it now. I think that you're ahead of the game.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I suppose if you still had the old battery that you could put it back in and go to Honda. But honestly... they'd just give you a newer piece-of-crap battery to replace the older piece-of-crap battery. You may have saved yourself a lock-out in the rain or a no start situation in a parking lot by replacing it now. I think that you're ahead of the game.
If you do still have the old one, and Honda did give you a new one, you could at least carry around a spare battery! :)

OP
OP

HockeyGuru03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
I was finding solace in precisely that perspective. Jumping the gun may not be such a bad thing. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP

HockeyGuru03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
If you do still have the old one, and Honda did give you a new one, you could at least carry around a spare battery! :)
I was considering that, but I'm not sure how long an unused battery can survive...

Tedtoth

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 si
Country flag
I had similar issue with my 2017 civic with 28,000 miles. Car needs jump to start after sitting for a few days, needs jump if radio is used 5 minutes in ACC mode. Went to dealer one week before warranty expired, they said battery tested just fine. I asked about additional issues - they said will be out of warranty. Way to stand behind your product Honda. F them getting new battery even though it has 100 month warranty (dealer failed to mention)

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Be persistent getting your battery warrantied. Honda dealers will try to find a reason not to. I got mine being very persistent with them. They tried to blame power leakage from af lights which is bullshit. If there’s a large power leakage that’s a recall problem with the entire electrical system

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Honda's battery warranty. I believe it is for OEM replacement batteries (NOT those that were originally installed in the vehicle when new). First 36-months is 100% covered. The remaining 64 months is prorated.
https://www.hondaofescondido.com/service/service-tips/whats-the-warranty-on-a-honda-battery/
It says: "If and when you buy a replacement battery from a genuine OEM Honda parts department, you’ll receive the Honda 100-month battery warranty. "

Did you already buy a replacement battery, and that battery is dead?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
It says: "If and when you buy a replacement battery from a genuine OEM Honda parts department, you’ll receive the Honda 100-month battery warranty. "

Did you already buy a replacement battery, and that battery is dead?
That’s exactly what I stated in my explanation. I have no horse in this race, I’m just providing the explanation for the warranty. I replaced my failed OEM with a Costco Interstate battery.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
That’s exactly what I stated in my explanation. I have no horse in this race, I’m just providing the explanation for the warranty. I replaced my failed OEM with a Costco Interstate battery.
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Tedtoth

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 si
Country flag
Where did you hear that the battery has a 100-month warranty?
Good question - I should have mentioned pulled straight from the Honda website. Like mentioned further down on this post 100% for 1st 36, then drops top 60% percent on month 37 and so on. Great warranty but I'll buy a good battery and get rid of the jumper cables I have to take with me every where I go.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Recently had my 2018 civic's battery die. Honda Roadside assistance said battery is dead, took it to dealership immediately, they replaced it with no questions since my car is just shy of 3 years and only 19,000 miles. I was expecting them to fight me on it. I was pleasantly surprised for once.

But I just hope the "100 month" warranty applies to the new battery they put in though, lol. Guess we'll see.
Sponsored