DCT with paddles versus MT

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I'm asking this question specifically for those who love driving manuals and have also driven a DCT with paddles. In your experience, do paddle shifters provide anything close to the engagement of driving stick? My VW has a 6-speed AT with a shiftronic option (using the gear shifter to manually select gears), and I find it utterly pointless. But I do have the impression from reading that paddles with a DCT are something closer to the real thing. I would love to have the input of enthusiasts on this board. I'm cross shopping cars like the Kia Forte GT and the Jetta GLI with the Civic Si. I'm dying to go back to manual but I also have some physical concerns (foot issues) about investing in an MT. Thanks.
Sponsored

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
A couple years ago I briefly drove a friend's GTI with a DCT, and I tried out the paddles. My memory is a little hazy, but I remember being really impressed at the speed of the shifts. It was basically instantaneous - nothing like the "manual" option on traditional automatics. That transmission allowed me to make the decisions...though I didn't try redlining it (I imagine it would've shifted on its own at that point). Still felt weird due to the missing third pedal, but I think I'd probably get used to it over time. To some extent, at least.

All that said: it isn't going to be the same experience. I don't think you'll ever have the same kind of complete control that a manual gives you.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The DCT can shift faster than a human can with a manual and it's a big step up over traditional manumatics. But, nothing compares to the joy of rowing your own gears with a clutch and short throw shifter.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I'm asking this question specifically for those who love driving manuals and have also driven a DCT with paddles. In your experience, do paddle shifters provide anything close to the engagement of driving stick? My VW has a 6-speed AT with a shiftronic option (using the gear shifter to manually select gears), and I find it utterly pointless. But I do have the impression from reading that paddles with a DCT are something closer to the real thing. I would love to have the input of enthusiasts on this board. I'm cross shopping cars like the Kia Forte GT and the Jetta GLI with the Civic Si. I'm dying to go back to manual but I also have some physical concerns (foot issues) about investing in an MT. Thanks.
Currently I drive a DCT equipped car.
I love that the car still shakes and drives like a manual car. How quick it shifts. How chances of missing a shift are greatly reduced.
But as others had said.
Doesn't fully replace the joy of having full control.

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Up until my last car purchase, I have always bought cars with manual transmissions. Starting with a '91 Civic, I bought a total of 9 cars with an MT, including my '17 Civic hatchback. These include cars like a '95 300ZX TT, '03 M5, and '04 NSX.

My most recent car purchase is the first one with an auto: '17 NSX with a 9-speed DCT.

I love the DCT. I drive my NSX way more than the Civic. In fact, it has become the garage queen.

If the NSX had the option of a manual, and I could do the purchase over again, I would still choose the DCT. It is fast, responsive, and I enjoy using the paddle shifters. I also appreciate just being able to put it in D and let the car shift for itself, especially in heavy traffic. If all cars had auto transmissions as good as this, I won't really miss the manual.

OP
OP
mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
Up until my last car purchase, I have always bought cars with manual transmissions. Starting with a '91 Civic, I bought a total of 9 cars with an MT, including my '17 Civic hatchback. These include cars like a '95 300ZX TT, '03 M5, and '04 NSX.

My most recent car purchase is the first one with an auto: '17 NSX with a 9-speed DCT.

I love the DCT. I drive my NSX way more than the Civic. In fact, it has become the garage queen.

If the NSX had the option of a manual, and I could do the purchase over again, I would still choose the DCT. It is fast, responsive, and I enjoy using the paddle shifters. I also appreciate just being able to put it in D and let the car shift for itself, especially in heavy traffic. If all cars had auto transmissions as good as this, I won't really miss the manual.
I appreciate the review -- too bad the NSX is several tens of thousands of dollars out of my price range! :D

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I appreciate the review -- too bad the NSX is several tens of thousands of dollars out of my price range! :D
Dont let that fool you, a Kia/Hyundai DCT would not be comparable to a super car's. It is not just in the same league of performance. If you are looking for driver's engagement at this price point (Si, Miata, GTI etc), it can only be found with a Manual transmission.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
A DCT with paddles will still be pretty fun (and fast) but it won't be as engaging as driving stick. My BMW has the ZF 8 Speed transmission which isn't a DCT but it's still lightning fast and paddle changes are instantaneous, but it still comes nowhere close to being as engaging as a traditional manual. So if you go the DCT route, you wouldn't be sacrificing speed and if anything you're probably gaining speed, but you'll be sacrificing some amount of engagement. It just depends on your situation, if you're life is better suited for an automatic and you're just looking for some fun, then go DCT. IF you can see yourself driving a manual for all everyday driving including traffic, then go for the manual.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
Dont let that fool you, a Kia/Hyundai DCT would not be comparable to a super car's. It is not just in the same league of performance. If you are looking for driver's engagement at this price point (Si, Miata, GTI etc), it can only be found with a Manual transmission.
I test drove a Elantra GT turbo with the DCT w/paddle shifters I didn’t find it responsive as my brothers wife’s 2012 Beatle TDI w/ the dct and paddle shifters the VW felt faster off the line
That I could remember

Reactions: mjh
OP
OP
mjh

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I test drove a Elantra GT turbo with the DCT w/paddle shifters I didn’t find it responsive as my brothers wife’s 2012 Beatle TDI w/ the dct and paddle shifters the VW felt faster off the line
That I could remember
That's actually the best comp, because my options are the Si, the Forte GT (i.e. the Kia/Hyundai DCT), which comes either DCT or manual, or perhaps the Jetta GLI (which has its own issues -- reliability). I'm going to test drive the Forte with DCT, but I'm also extremely skeptical of my ability to get a solid opinion out of a short test drive.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
My dad has a Cayman S with PDK (a DCT). It is like a video game. Mash throttle and either let it make its own shifts or pull the lever. Makes driving much easier but as mentioned by others, not quite as engaging to drive. Fast = Yes. Fun = Yes* but a stick is more fun in that car when attacking a back road or a track. Stuck slogging through traffic though and a PDK sure is a much better compromise than the previous Tiptronic (full auto with manual control)

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Paddles (even with a CVT) are way, way better than a gear shift mounted +/- option. I had that on my old sonata, never used it, but I use my paddles almost all the time on the civic. The only time I don't is when I'm trying to maximize mpg's on the interstate with cruise and eco engaged. I can only imagine how awesome paddles with a DCT would be. Of course I prefer manuals, but the wife can't/won't drive 'em....I find paddles to be a great alternative!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
An automatic (with or without paddles) can give you the majority of the control over the gear box that a manual will give you with some quirks (won't let you over-rev and some won't let you bounce the rev limiter). In some, cases the automatic will be faster (with a DCT almost always faster). But you will lose the engagement you would get out of a manual. There are some cars that kick themselves out of the manual/sequential modes whenever you come to a stop which can get annoying.

Regarding paddles vs no paddles, as long as the gear selector lever has a good design, ie sits in a good ergonomic position to be used as such actively while driving, then it's no issue. However, if the gear selector isn't set up for that sort of thing, then paddles are preferred.

This is how I feel about it anyways. Many people completely despise automatic transmissions with paddles (or some sequential/manual override). Personally, I like it since it does give the driver control over the transmission when the driver wants it and the ability to relinquish said control back to the car when it comes time.
Sponsored