Daytime Running Lights even when lights are off?

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
I got my Touring Coupe on Monday and have only driven it to work (10 minutes each way), so I'm finally getting around to reading the manual.

Today on my way home I was stopped at a red light behind an SUV and I could see the reflection of my car in it. My LED DRL were on, but my headlights were in the "OFF" position. I thought this was weird but figure maybe they're always on? Who knows, right.....

Well 149 pages later I see that it says the turning the knob to the first position from "OFF" turns on the DRL, side marker, etc. Check out the text in the lower left gray box here. Shouldn't "OFF" mean everything is off, even the DRL?

Honda Civic 10th gen Daytime Running Lights even when lights are off? civ
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DRLs are Daytime Running Lights.

They're always on as long as the car is on and the e-brake is off. Can't turn them off unless you either pull fuse/bulb, or you drive around with the parking brake up (which is impossible in the Touring)
I just found out about a week ago that they only turn on when you turn the parking brake off until I saw it happen in the reflection of an old Explorer's chrome bumper. I thought they turned on the moment you turned the car on...

...and I did RTFM lol.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
By that logic, you're assuming Daytime Running Lights is something that people turn on. In what situation would you need to turn on Daytime Running Lights?

OP
OP
MagicMatt

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
By that logic, you're assuming Daytime Running Lights is something that people turn on. In what situation would you need to turn on Daytime Running Lights?
When you want to? Sometimes you may not care to ride with them. Personally I don't see their value but do like the way they look, but for instance on my measly 10 minute commute I don't need them on. But just like in other cars I drive, sometimes you want to ride with the parking lights on only, for the sleek look it gives. I may or may not want the DRL on at the same time, for effect. I've driven other vehicles that the DRL were on a switch that you could turn off. It would make sense that "OFF" means OFF.

Besides, the manual even says that switching from OFF to the typical parking-light position "turns on parking/daytime running lights, side markers, ..." etc. Why would it say that if they are always on? The side markers and tail lights aren't always on, and they're listed right behind it.

OP
OP
MagicMatt

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
DRLs are Daytime Running Lights.

They're always on as long as the car is on and the e-brake is off. Can't turn them off unless you either pull fuse/bulb, or you drive around with the parking brake up (which is impossible in the Touring)

I'm sorry but this directly conflicts with the text in the manual.

reversals

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
When you want to? Sometimes you may not care to ride with them. Personally I don't see their value but do like the way they look, but for instance on my measly 10 minute commute I don't need them on. But just like in other cars I drive, sometimes you want to ride with the parking lights on only, for the sleek look it gives. I may or may not want the DRL on at the same time, for effect. I've driven other vehicles that the DRL were on a switch that you could turn off. It would make sense that "OFF" means OFF.

Besides, the manual even says that switching from OFF to the typical parking-light position "turns on parking/daytime running lights, side markers, ..." etc. Why would it say that if they are always on? The side markers and tail lights aren't always on, and they're listed right behind it.
I can see why you're confused about it, but Daytime Running Lights is always on. It's kind of implied in the name. If there was a feature to turn off Daytime Running Lights it would defeat the purpose of it. Might as well have regular headlights to turn on/off as you please.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It's a safety feature

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag

DRLs are mandatory in most civilized countries (ha, potshot there) - and are legally required to be on at all times, for safety reasons.

They are not meant to be useful to you, they're meant to be useful to other drivers.
Out of curiosity, what car has DRLs on a switch? You sure they're not just auxiliary lights?

Molatte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sedan Touring
Vehicle Showcase
DRLs are mandatory in most civilized countries (ha, potshot there) - and are legally required to be on at all times, for safety reasons.

They are not meant to be useful to you, they're meant to be useful to other drivers.
Out of curiosity, what car has DRLs on a switch? You sure they're not just auxiliary lights?
Don't take my word for it but if I remember correctly, European cars have switches that can turn off DRL's, such as BMW's, Benz, etc. But this was back in Indonesia..I'd find a BMW (any series) and sometime find that their DRL is off. I don't know if European cars have different markets like Japanese manufacturers.

Again, don't take my word for it though.

I'd rather have DRL's than having to turn on my headlights.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the only time i have ever had to turn on the DRL's manually is when the car was parked and it was dark out. i needed to see if my puppy was in the front of the car so i just clicked it to the first position. those leds are bright enough to see whats directly in front without me having to fully turn on my headlights.

but yeah , these DRL's will come on once that ebrake is released.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My buddy bought a Seattle s2000 and had to get drl installed to pass Canadian inspections 8 years ago

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
My buddy bought a Seattle s2000 and had to get drl installed to pass Canadian inspections 8 years ago
That's because DRL's aren't legally required in the US, but are in Canada.

US cars were traditionally sold without them, and it was only recently when manufacturers decided to include them anyway.

Interestingly, a lot of US owners bought the relays required from Canada to install DRLs on their US vehicles lol

OP
OP
MagicMatt

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
2002 Explorer, 2006 Camry, 2012 Camaro to name a few. In fact I honestly don't know if I've ever been in a car with DRL that you COULDN"T turn off. It's my car, I should be able to control what is on and not on.

It's not that I don't like them, as I do think they look good, but I want to control when they are on and not on.

Looks like I'll be rewiring some things.
Sponsored