Dashlights Came On

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi Guys!

So I was leaving work today and I start up my Si, and all of my dash lights came on, along with all of the notices that you would get if you had your battery terminals off for more than 10 minutes. Funny thing is to get rid of those notices, I took off both my positive and negative terminals and then put them back after 5-10 minutes. I'm not sure what could've caused this.

Only mods I have on the car is an HKS Hi-Power Exhaust, Acuity Short Shifter, Acuity Shifter Cable Bushings
I've had to remove the battery to install the cable bushings, as I also removed the negative terminal when installing the short shifter, after putting the battery back, I followed the steps on the infotainment (press power button, etc) and drove for a couple of minutes to get the lights on the dash to go away on its own.

I've read on other posts that it the lights can come on due to rats being in the engine bay and chewing away on wire harnesses, I checked for any signs of rats nests in my engine bay and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to take the car to the dealer.
Sponsored

blackie X

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
could be a rodent for sure, but if you dont usually have issues with rodents than maybe the battery is going. the batteries on these cars are not the greatest from what ive read on other posts.

OP
OP
trustmysole

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
could be a rodent for sure, but if you dont usually have issues with rodents than maybe the battery is going. the batteries on these cars are not the greatest from what ive read on other posts.
Thanks for replying ! Yeah I didn't see any rats nest in my engine bay. So I'm like trying to investigate what the problem could be. And yeah the battery is definitely trash, I already swapped it out cause the load was 0.

xile6

First Name
jermaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si, 05 scion tc turbo , 98 honda civic turbo
Country flag
Cables might have been a tad lose.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
As others have said, if you dont see varmint activity, it could be a loose cable, or the battery starting to go. If you have a 2017 with the original battery - that could be what is going on. Sometimes you can get 5 years out of a battery, but at times, they only last 3-4 years. They get abused on their way to delivery/sitting in the dealer lot and often get drained and then charged back up. So their life starts out rough from the start.

I also had a ground strap break inside the engine bay of my 09 ridgeline. I think that was a time issue - as in enough time had passed and years driven an the strap gave up. I made a new one with a long battery cable going from engine to bare metal frame.

OP
OP
trustmysole

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Cables might have been a tad lose.
Thanks! I'll double check, gonna go for a drive soon to see if these lights come back on, just to get rid of the lights on my dash yesterday, I removed both terminals and let it sit for awhile.

As others have said, if you dont see varmint activity, it could be a loose cable, or the battery starting to go. If you have a 2017 with the original battery - that could be what is going on. Sometimes you can get 5 years out of a battery, but at times, they only last 3-4 years. They get abused on their way to delivery/sitting in the dealer lot and often get drained and then charged back up. So their life starts out rough from the start.

I also had a ground strap break inside the engine bay of my 09 ridgeline. I think that was a time issue - as in enough time had passed and years driven an the strap gave up. I made a new one with a long battery cable going from engine to bare metal frame.
Appreciate your reply man! I'll definitely take a look. Yeah, I swapped out the battery about a week ago or so cause the load was 0 when I had the guy at Autozone check it out for me. It was indeed the factory battery as well, and a quick google search says you gotta replace it at 3 years or 36,000 miles, which my car meets those requirements.

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey OP, this happened to me when i did my clutch install. i thought my battery had died after sitting on the floor for a week (p.s. don't do that your battery will drain to ground) but advanced auto tested it and it was good so i check the battery terminals and post and had'nt noticed that they had that blue corrosion from the battery and were giving the car a weak charge from the battery. once i cleaned that off with battery terminal cleaner and a brush the car started right up and after re-initializing while driving a few miles all the lights went away.

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I believe there's a few other threads on a similar topic. This happened to me on my '14 Accord as described by the OP. It was indeed the battery. This happened at 25k so it was covered under warranty.

OP
OP
trustmysole

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey OP, this happened to me when i did my clutch install. i thought my battery had died after sitting on the floor for a week (p.s. don't do that your battery will drain to ground) but advanced auto tested it and it was good so i check the battery terminals and post and had'nt noticed that they had that blue corrosion from the battery and were giving the car a weak charge from the battery. once i cleaned that off with battery terminal cleaner and a brush the car started right up and after re-initializing while driving a few miles all the lights went away.
for sure! will check it out right now!

OP
OP
trustmysole

trustmysole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I believe there's a few other threads on a similar topic. This happened to me on my '14 Accord as described by the OP. It was indeed the battery. This happened at 25k so it was covered under warranty.
yeah I'm bout to check the terminals. so far since I've removed the battery terminals, the dash lights haven't come back on

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I forgot to mention, that I did what you did and it worked for a while, can't remember how long, but the lights came back. When I pulled into the service drive, it was like they knew exactly what happened. I was out in less than an hour with a new battery.

Good luck friend.
Sponsored