CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Does anyone know where does this noise come from?

I can hear it mostly after engine start for 10-20 seconds. It sounds lile something resonates but I just can‘t find what it is. What I know is that it doesn‘t come from the ambient light sensor (however it‘s loose a bit). I even removed the dash speaker and pushed the inner parts in and around the speaker‘s „cave“, but nothing changed. I pushed the A pillar‘s platic against the pillar but nothing changed. I have simply no idea where does the noise come from.
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Are you sure it's inside the car?

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it is but I‘m not 100% sure. I will check it with opened hood tomorrow.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm. I tried it with open hood. Here is the result:

I don‘t think I can hear it from the engine. Or it just sound completely different under the hood. I have no idea.
What you can hear on the video (I think) is the evap purge valve clicking and the metallic noise is (as far as I know) a somewhat loose metal piece at the end of the blowoff valve actuator. It won‘t fall off, just does this stupid noise in the first 15-20 seconds. But I will ask the dealer because there are too many strange noises here I think.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
To my ear... that's just a resonant rattle/vibration. If you were to press on the dash, cluster panel, or lower cover under the wheel; I suspect it would change/go away.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To my ear... that's just a resonant rattle/vibration. If you were to press on the dash, cluster panel, or lower cover under the wheel; I suspect it would change/go away.
That's what I tried. I have pushed it EVERYWHERE. Or probably almost everywhere:
- Top of the dash
- Under the top of the dash (through the hole of the central dash speaker) in every direction
- Side of the dash assembly
- Instrument cluster's shade plastic thingy and transparent plastic
- Below the steering wheel
- Multimedia Unit
- Ambient light sensor
- "A" pillars
I just hope someone had exactly this kind of noise and found a solution and reads this thread.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
In the US; some dealerships install an anti-theft 'alarm' under the dash near the steering column. They do it quickly and poorly. Maybe there's something non-factory under there that has simply worked its way loose?

Bunhyung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Sport Touring
Hmm. I tried it with open hood. Here is the result:

I don‘t think I can hear it from the engine. Or it just sound completely different under the hood. I have no idea.
What you can hear on the video (I think) is the evap purge valve clicking and the metallic noise is (as far as I know) a somewhat loose metal piece at the end of the blowoff valve actuator. It won‘t fall off, just does this stupid noise in the first 15-20 seconds. But I will ask the dealer because there are too many strange noises here I think.
Sounds like a loose heat shield to me.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In the US; some dealerships install an anti-theft 'alarm' under the dash near the steering column. They do it quickly and poorly. Maybe there's something non-factory under there that has simply worked its way loose?
I'm sure they don't do it around here. But I will definately check it around the steering column it next week.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like a loose heat shield to me.
That's also possible. When the engine heats somewhat up the sound stops so it's also hard to find.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does it ever return if you’re at idle and start giving it gas to raise RPMs to a certain level?

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it ever return if you’re at idle and start giving it gas to raise RPMs to a certain level?
It does sometimes. But not nearly as loud as it is after engine start. Also on some days I can't hear it at all but on other days I can hear it while driving and I'm in this RPM range. Usually 2000-2500 RPM.

I assume it probably has someting to do with maybe exhaust temperature or engine temperature.

I also have rattles in the B pillar next to and above my head. Sometimes the strange periodic ticking starts in the B pillar but that's not that bad. They replaced my seat frame and lumbar support mechanic/motor (the seat height adjustment broke) so at least my seat does not squeek now. The funny thing is that I can feel and hear how much better quieter this seat frame is. It's just unbeliveable how big a diffenrece can be between the quality of two parts in these 10th gen civics.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m kinda with @Bunhyung and would look at heat shields. It’s amazing how anything in front or sort of below the dash can make dash noises. I know in looking under the dash on the passenger side corner, I can see daylight in a spot... presumably from a spot in the firewall that should have been plugged and either wasn’t or simply isn’t for the cost savings of a 5 cent rubber plug. There’s zero sound deadening material on the cabin side of the firewall once you get above our carpet that has that crumbly carpet pad stuck under it and doesn’t even make it the whole way up to under the dash.

I’ve tracked down heat shield buzzes using a broomstick or long extension. If you’re lucky, that’s what it will be... keep pushing on them w the stick with someone holding revs to make it buzz constant until the sound goes away in the cabin. My old Xterras head shields got so bad I ended up holding them all in with new pipe clamps as the salted roads are up the old banding.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It looks like I finally found the origin of the noise!
When I push or pull the part marked with yellow then the rattle stops. I think that is a part of the HVAC tubing and in some cases it touches some metal parts inside/behind the dash when it shakes because if engine vibration transferred to the chassis. When that happens it transfers the vibrations to the whole ventillation system and that's the reason why it could be heared from basically the whole dashboard.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dashboard noise after engine start IMG_4347_LI

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks like I finally found the origin of the noise!
When I push or pull the part marked with yellow then the rattle stops. I think that is a part of the HVAC tubing and in some cases it touches some metal parts inside/behind the dash when it shakes because if engine vibration transferred to the chassis. When that happens it transfers the vibrations to the whole ventillation system and that's the reason why it could be heared from basically the whole dashboard.
IMG_4347_LI.jpg
On a totally different subject... the black wire above and to the left of that rattle generator looks super janky.