CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
On a totally different subject... the black wire above and to the left of that rattle generator looks super janky.
You mean the yellow, the blue or the green one? Or all of them? ?
None of those look like quality work has been done. I think the yellow one is the worst, but I'm pretty sure it is just electrical ground cables. I've seen similar when I lost the glovebox opening damper in the dash and tried to fish it out. This car always amuses me with some jerry-rigged solutions when I remove a panel or check something from an "unusual" angle.
Honda Civic 10th gen Dashboard noise after engine start IMG_4347_LI (2)
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You mean the yellow, the blue or the green one? Or all of them? ?
None of those look like quality work has been done. I think the yellow one is the worst, but I'm pretty sure it is just electrical ground cables. I've seen similar when I lost the glovebox opening damper in the dash and tried to fish it out. This car always amuses me with some jerry-rigged solutions when I remove a panel or check something from an "unusual" angle.
IMG_4347_LI (2).jpg
That black stranded wire... ?

I know it’s just 12v... and most everything has barely any current running through it but *man* it looks no bueno. Congrats on finding the rattle source. I’ve cured several... and have several (dozen) left to get.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That black stranded wire... ?

I know it’s just 12v... and most everything has barely any current running through it but *man* it looks no bueno. Congrats on finding the rattle source. I’ve cured several... and have several (dozen) left to get.
Thanks! I think we should start here a “Rattle Hunters” group or thread or something.
It would be however nice to know if that cable looks the same in other cars too or this is just some kind of Swindon plant fingerprint or maybe just in my car is like that.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2018 Sedan
Country flag
It looks like I finally found the origin of the noise!
When I push or pull the part marked with yellow then the rattle stops. I think that is a part of the HVAC tubing and in some cases it touches some metal parts inside/behind the dash when it shakes because if engine vibration transferred to the chassis. When that happens it transfers the vibrations to the whole ventillation system and that's the reason why it could be heared from basically the whole dashboard.
IMG_4347_LI.jpg
How did you fix it? I am sure mine may be the same issue as it is the same rattling sound exactly.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How did you fix it? I am sure mine may be the same issue as it is the same rattling sound exactly.
I just put some hard foam in there (like i was constantly pushing it) wrapped in cotton tape. That helped for me. It’s not perfect but much-much better now.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are the exact places I put some foam. Like I wrote, I used hard foam wrapped in Cotton tape. The cotton tape layers help to reach the wanted thickness easier.

Honda Civic 10th gen Dashboard noise after engine start InkedIMG_6152_LI

Honda Civic 10th gen Dashboard noise after engine start InkedIMG_6153_LI

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here are the exact places I put some foam. Like I wrote, I used hard foam wrapped in Cotton tape. The cotton tape layers help to reach the wanted thickness easier.

InkedIMG_6152_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_6153_LI.jpg
I've tried putting foam in many locations and no luck sadly. Thanks though.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've tried putting foam in many locations and no luck sadly. Thanks though.
Wait! First try pulling different plastic pieces with your hand while starting! You have about 5-10 seconds. This was the place that worked for me, but first I also had to find the places where applying some force made the rattling disappear. So I would say try it “manually” first when you start the car and if you are lucky they you will find it after 2-3 starts otherwise it takes more time. When you found the spots with your hand then you can try the (hard) foam. Good luck!

ps: if you want, you can try to make a video of it and post it here we will try to help.

aznguy1992

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wait! First try pulling different plastic pieces with your hand while starting! You have about 5-10 seconds. This was the place that worked for me, but first I also had to find the places where applying some force made the rattling disappear. So I would say try it “manually” first when you start the car and if you are lucky they you will find it after 2-3 starts otherwise it takes more time. When you found the spots with your hand then you can try the (hard) foam. Good luck!

ps: if you want, you can try to make a video of it and post it here we will try to help.
i’ll see if I can find it. So far no luck and it disappears on it’s own but keeps coming back whenever it wants.

OP
OP
CastorX

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i’ll see if I can find it. So far no luck and it disappears on it’s own but keeps coming back whenever it wants.
In my care there is a source if ratting sound near my head in the b pillar but i can’t find the siurce!
Sponsored