CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recorded an accident today. Too bad the sound wasn't on as it startled me. An old guy rear ended a lady in the SUV. His car was loosing lots of fluid. I am really noticing how much YouTube degrades the video quality. On my computer I get a really nice HD quality picture.

Accident takes place at the 1:57 mark of the 2:00 clip. On the right hand side as they are making right turns.

Sponsored

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Got myself a dashcam and already recorded someone spinning out on some black ice this morning on my commute to work. Definitely worth it. Right now I have the wire going around the passenger side but not really in the molding or hidden. I'll probably work on that this weekend and eventually get myself the kit where the dash cam is powered from the fuse box instead of the car charger.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
When I bought my civic honda was giving away gift vouchers and one of the gifts I could get was a dash cam. So I tried it out today. It must be a really cheap one. Battery doesn't even last 5 minutes and the video looks like it flickers a lot and has lines across the video. Try it again tomorrow. I don't want to have to plug it in just to use the

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I got my dash cam I thought I'd just set it up quickly to try it out. I spent about 10 minutes putting up the mount and hiding the wires as best as I could. Everything went so smoothly and was finished so well it became my permanent install. No tools at all! Just carefully tucked the wires behind the various plastic bits and inside the weather strip. Yes it does take up my 12 volt outlet but I have no other plans for that outlet anyways.

Brettjod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I use mine for charging my phone. I'll have to try it with it plugged in and see how that works.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I charge my phone via the USB.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Great thread! I have a Papago GoSafe 110 from my 06 Civic which I didn't hide the wires, and glad I found this thread to learn more about hiding it through the panels. Definitely works and hides it enough, but I didn't like the fact that it uses the 12v outlet strictly for the dash cam. It takes up the spot for passengers to charge their phones, etc. I have a 2 port usb car charger, and I figure I'll use that instead, and I ordered a 12 ft usb cable from Amazon I'll use instead to plug into one of the usb ports, allowing an extra port for passengers.

I'm considering upgrading my dash cam for a clearer video / 1080p set up. Mine is currently 720p and is decent, but wanted to have something better and have it less obscure.

Last edited:

dabearshark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's a good cam with decent night quality that's around ~100?

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Great thread! I have a Papago GoSafe 110 from my 06 Civic which I didn't hide the wires, and glad I found this thread to learn more about hiding it through the panels. Definitely works and hides it enough, but I didn't like the fact that it uses the 12v outlet strictly for the dash cam. It takes up the spot for passengers to charge their phones, etc. I have a 2 port usb car charger, and I figure I'll use that instead, and I ordered a 12 ft usb cable from Amazon I'll use instead to plug into one of the usb ports, allowing an extra port for passengers.

I'm considering upgrading my dash cam for a clearer video / 1080p set up. Mine is currently 720p and is decent, but wanted to have something better and have it less obscure.
Most dash cams run on 5v not 12v - you need a cable with a built in step down/regulator. You don't want to fry your camera!

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Is that the little box that's connected to the power cable? Didn't even think about that. I tested and tried it a few times using a standard mini usb (which my dash cam use) connected to my wall charger and didn't think about shorting it. But that's good to know!

aaronarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Tacoma, 16' Civic Touring
Country flag
Is that the little box that's connected to the power cable? Didn't even think about that. I tested and tried it a few times using a standard mini usb (which my dash cam use) connected to my wall charger and didn't think about shorting it. But that's good to know!
Yeah most likely its in a box inline on the cable. Sometimes its built into the actual cigarette plug.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Actually I just checked the output on my dual usb car charger plug and the output is 5v. It should be ok :)

Yeah most likely its in a box inline on the cable. Sometimes its built into the actual cigarette plug.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:
OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's a good cam with decent night quality that's around ~100?
That's about what my DOD LS360w would sell for in the U.S. Really happy with it. There's a video earlier in the thread on the LS460w. Same camera only it has the GPS.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most dash cams run on 5v not 12v - you need a cable with a built in step down/regulator. You don't want to fry your camera!
DOD cameras run off 12 volt, I thought they all did.
Sponsored