xdecemberguy

First Name
Randrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Best Dash Cam around $150 bucks?? Not looking to spend a bunch. THanks for your insight.
Sponsored

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Best Dash Cam around $150 bucks?? Not looking to spend a bunch. THanks for your insight.
I'm using a VIOFO A119 V3. Pretty sure it was about 100.00 or so.

I like that you can use it in several different ways. Security, safety, or driving. My only use for it is to record myself at the track. Works great for that!

CharlieTangoRomeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 SGP CTR
Country flag
Pardon the thread hijack, but I would also like recommendations for a simple dash cam that doesn't have an extreme wide angle. I would happily give up several degrees at the outer edge to have a more natural looking image.

I have a cheap Kenwood cam, I think the 301 model. I don't know that I'd recommend it over anything else, but it gets the job done fine. I have no complaints other than the excessive FOV which is common to just about every dash cam.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
The Thinkware F200 Pro averages around $200 for a dual channel (F+R) system with GPS and comes with the hardwire cables. It's my go-to camera for clients that aren't looking for a specific feature but it does need an app to control it. Luckily the app has gotten much better over the years and once it set up you don't really need to use the app again unless it's an emergency.

I personally run a TW Q800 Pro and I adore it but it doesn't come with a rear camera but you can add one and it's a little more expensive. I also run a GoPro Hero 10 in the front for extra funsies.

Personally I hate the Rexing cameras. Sure, they're cheap for what the offer but they have a higher failure rate than I'm comfortable with and they all look like trash IMO. Also when we first started carrying them they wouldn't stay stuck to the windshield lol.

Blackview cameras are excellent but also pricey.

The Garmin dashcams are EXCELLENT little things but also front channel only.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
One word of advice: for whatever you go with, buy the more secure 3M foam tape stick on option for the camera mount! More annoying to remove when the time comes but go long enough with a suction design and it will lose suction, smacking right into your infotainment screen. Happened to me, luckily no damage to the screen.

I currently have a hardwired Vantrue N2 Pro I reused from my previous car. Works great and should be very affordable now given that its an older design. In fact, I have no plan to upgrade, as I don't daily the R. But will get the newer Vantrue N4 when my new car arrives in a few months, which has 4K for the front + a cabin/rear camera view.

Big reason I didn't go with a Blackvue when I initially bought my N2 Pro several years back was reading some common issues many people were encountering with them. For a premium dash cam option that is priced above the competition, that is unacceptable imo. Not sure if they've sorted everything out now.

ImMikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8
Country flag
I'm gonna plug /r/dashcam

You'll get all the info you could ever wish from there!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm a BlackVue fan. Thinkware is also excellent.

Two things that I think are important, 2 channels so you have front and rear. And parking mode so you have a record when someone hits you in a parking lot. IMO, not worth buying anything without those 2 features.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
saw this a while ago, seems like useful information to consider in the options table.. of course take any one youtuber with a grain of salt, but ive found a lot of his information useful myself.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
+1 for the Viofo A119 V3 if you need only front camera. Have one in my gf's bmw with the viofo hardwire kit to enable their parking mode. Their hard wire kit also has adjustable voltage cutoffs that are higher than what i've seen on amazon, so you wouldn't drain the battery as much.

I have the Viofo A129 Plus + viofo hardwire kit in my civic. I wish i could say it was as flawless as the A119 but I cannot. My first A129 Plus had to be RMAed due to the Wifi dying (common issue if you look it up). New one seems to be faring better, however the clear plastic protecting the display (not the peel off) fell off so it's just the bare LCD now and some unlabled LED lights. The cameras front and rear still work fine. But this all happened within 1 year of ownership, vs the A119 in my gf's car having no build or hardware issues for much longer. Rear cam installation is also a real pain in the butt if you're going to run it through the existing wiring grommet in the hatch. Expect to spend an hour+ installing the rear camera.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+1 for the Viofo A119 V3 if you need only front camera. Have one in my gf's bmw with the viofo hardwire kit to enable their parking mode. Their hard wire kit also has adjustable voltage cutoffs that are higher than what i've seen on amazon, so you wouldn't drain the battery as much.

I have the Viofo A129 Plus + viofo hardwire kit in my civic. I wish i could say it was as flawless as the A119 but I cannot. My first A129 Plus had to be RMAed due to the Wifi dying (common issue if you look it up). New one seems to be faring better, however the clear plastic protecting the display (not the peel off) fell off so it's just the bare LCD now and some unlabled LED lights. The cameras front and rear still work fine. But this all happened within 1 year of ownership, vs the A119 in my gf's car having no build or hardware issues for much longer. Rear cam installation is also a real pain in the butt if you're going to run it through the existing wiring grommet in the hatch. Expect to spend an hour+ installing the rear camera.
I'm considering another one to record a little of me and the dash, during track sessions. The one I have is flawless so far with over two hours of recording. Another nice touch for me is the imbedded date, time and gps data (mph) even though it struggles to keep up with track speeds lol.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm considering another one to record a little of me and the dash, during track sessions. The one I have is flawless so far with over two hours of recording. Another nice touch for me is the imbedded date, time and gps data (mph) even though it struggles to keep up with track speeds lol.
Track Addict on your phone with a dash mount. Or their is a thread on here how to replace your overhead light with a phone mount.

Track Addict does a bunch of stuff for you like lap times, sector times, speeds, track overlay etc. And it's free though the paid version is pretty cheap too.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
saw this a while ago, seems like useful information to consider in the options table.. of course take any one youtuber with a grain of salt, but ive found a lot of his information useful myself.
He's not really wrong. And he does get into the important stuff. i.e. being able to read a license plate. It's just one thing (a dash cam) that you do need to do some homework AND not buy the cheapest solution.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Track Addict on your phone with a dash mount. Or their is a thread on here how to replace your overhead light with a phone mount.

Track Addict does a bunch of stuff for you like lap times, sector times, speeds, track overlay etc. And it's free though the paid version is pretty cheap too.
Log R is supposed to do all that. Going to try it on the next session. Have you tried it?

One of the experienced guys had Track Addict and was using it to time me after he broke a rib and couldn't take the pain anymore. (pretty high g-forces in his Porsche)
Sponsored