Dash Cam?

Takuun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda 2017 ST
Country flag
Hey guys!

Recently got a 2020 Civic Hatchback EX and want to install a dashcam! Do you think I should bring it to a professional to do it so all the wires can be hidden?
Sponsored

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wires can be easily hidden. A-pillar comes off with one screw and a bit of careful prying, and across the headliner, you can stuff the wire between the headliner and the roof. The instructions for installing the auto-dimming mirror gives great insight as to how to route the wires from the rear-view mirror area down to the in-cabin fuse box

Here's the guide to install the auto dimming mirror

And I used steps 10-13 to remove enough to be able to run the wiring, and steps 23-27 as a guide as to how to route the wiring.

Swank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Black
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely at least try it yourself first, I installed mine in about 15 minutes, hiding the wires is super easy. I didn't even remove my A-pillar cover as I didn't know how and didn't feel the need.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
A far bigger problem than Installing the wires, is deciding on what Dash Cam to get, and what feature you NEED vs what extra feature you pay for but never use.

I am still trying to decide, but the most important features I have narrowed it down to is
(1) Good resolution so I can read number plates etc.
(2) Runs all the time, and I don't have to mess with it, until I need to pull a recording, of when I am driving, or when the car is parked.

Biggest concern: paying a lot for a Camera, and then wishing I had spent a little more afterwards, to get a better one.

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely at least try it yourself first, I installed mine in about 15 minutes, hiding the wires is super easy. I didn't even remove my A-pillar cover as I didn't know how and didn't feel the need.
A-pillar is super easy to take off. I took mine off to ensure that the wire wasn't going to interfere with the airbag in case of deployment

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
It's just a question of running a USB or 12V wire across the headliner and down the A pillar to the fuse panel. It's probably the easiest accessory to install.

I would use Tesa tape on the wire so it doesn't rattle around in the headliner over bumps.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Man most of these dash doesn't even shows the car infront of you number plates when they're driving and its worst in the night
You can always read out the license plate number

Donkeyhotay123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch
Country flag
The trickiest part of installing the dash cam in the hatch was figuring out the fuse connections. I'm still not sure if i got it right.

The second is fishing the cable through the rubber hose on the hatch door.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
A far bigger problem than Installing the wires, is deciding on what Dash Cam to get, and what feature you NEED vs what extra feature you pay for but never use.

I am still trying to decide, but the most important features I have narrowed it down to is
(1) Good resolution so I can read number plates etc.
(2) Runs all the time, and I don't have to mess with it, until I need to pull a recording, of when I am driving, or when the car is parked.

Biggest concern: paying a lot for a Camera, and then wishing I had spent a little more afterwards, to get a better one.
thats what reviews are for, I found this video on youtube a while back when I was thinking about one, guy compares 4 different cameras I highly suggest looking up video reviews of this caliber for the dashcams you are considering so you can see what actual video looks like from the cameras.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
thats what reviews are for, I found this video on youtube a while back when I was thinking about one, guy compares 4 different cameras I highly suggest looking up video reviews of this caliber for the dashcams you are considering so you can see what actual video looks like from the cameras.

Currently considering this one - seem a reasonable choice between Quality & price.

https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A119-1600P-Camera-Logger/dp/B07SWYVYJ7
https://www.amazon.com/VIOFO-A119-1600P-Camera-Logger/dp/B07SWYVYJ7
Honda Civic 10th gen Dash Cam? 61hNeM7pc7L._AC_SL1250_

• FULL PACKAGE: A119V3 with GPS Module and CPL Filter
  • QUAD HD+ RECORDING: Featuring an entirely new chipset design & Sony image sensor to support Quad HD+ in 2560 x 1600P / 2560 x 1440P at 30fps to create high quality, vivid and detailed recordings in various lighting.
  • SONY 5MP STARVIS SENSOR: Experience the new Sony Starvis 5MP technology with detailed, brighter, crystal-clear images captured in day or nighttime lighting for super clear night vision.
  • MOTION & COLLISION DETECTION: Using the camera's G-Sensor and State-of-the-Art motion detection technology, video footage is now intelligently captured in parking mode when moving objects and/or impacts are detected while the vehicle is parked. Files are flagged as important and protected onto the SD card for review.
  • PRE-BUFFER RECORDING: Capture the whole story and the events leading up to an event or collision with intelligent recording technology that automatically saves footage both 15 seconds before and 30 seconds after a detected collision or event.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Wrong in an accident you have no time to do that....a car once change lane without signaling causing me to steer out my lane and I hit the curb....when I checked my dash cam footage the license plates were so blurry I couldn't see shit...yeah the bastard drove away
That's why you don't steer away from your lane..

I'm guessing the other car didn't even touch you?

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
It did touch the right side of my car on the front and why exactly wouldn't I steer away? Its natural instinct
For the reason you didn't have enough room to swerve away. Defensive driving would have helped.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
That's why you don't steer away from your lane..

I'm guessing the other car didn't even touch you?
I've avoided totaling a car at least once by steering out of my lane to avoid a moron driver cutting me off, had I not swerved into another lane (that thank God was empty) I would have side swiped this retard that cut me off by pulling out in front of me when I was less then 200 feet from him and traveling at 35 MPH.
Swerving to avoid an impact is a viable option provided the other lane is clear which is why you should always be aware of your surroundings, unlike the moron that looked right and decided he was clear to make a right turn and proceeded to cut me off.

sLing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
I've avoided totaling a car at least once by steering out of my lane to avoid a moron driver cutting me off, had I not swerved into another lane (that thank God was empty) I would have side swiped this retard that cut me off by pulling out in front of me when I was less then 200 feet from him and traveling at 35 MPH.
Swerving to avoid an impact is a viable option provided the other lane is clear which is why you should always be aware of your surroundings, unlike the moron that looked right and decided he was clear to make a right turn and proceeded to cut me off.
The OP had a curb his way
Sponsored