Dash cam? Low profile to sit on dashboard.

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'm considering a dash cam but I'm in a state that prohibits any view obstruction. (My uncle got ticketed recently for a GPS.) And though it's not definitive, the way I read the law it also applies to anything sitting on the dashboard.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a dash cam with these features:
  • Sits on the dashboard
  • Low profile (not too visible to passing cars)
  • USB powered
  • Storage of 30+ minutes
I have a weighted donut-like thing (designed for a GPS) that I can sit it on to keep from sliding around. I realize the view will be limited but eyeballing it seems like my dash is high enough to give a satisfactory road view without the cam being obtrusive. The dashboard-mounted cams I've found online all stick up more than I want. I realize that's for a better view but it's also higher violation risk.

The only other "barely noticeable" option I can see would be to attach it to the back of the rear-view mirror, but it doesn't seem like that surface would hold it on.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks!
Sponsored

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Well, if it’s hidden behind the rear view mirror it’s not obstructing anything, the mirror is. I’d hide it directly behind the mirror so you can’t see it at all while driving. That’s where mine is mounted (on the glass not the plastic housing) and it’s hardwired so the wiring is completely hidden. I have the VIOFO A129 Duo and someone can only see it if they look hard enough and the lighting is well. It uses some strong double sided adhesive so it holds very well. Otherwise, it’s pretty dark and blends in with the rear view mirror.

for storage, it depends on what size sd card you get. I use a 128GB card and it saves about 1-2 days of footage.

If they try to ticket you I’d fight it and not give in to their bs

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
you dont really need to mount a dash cam where it obstructs view really.
mine is mounted behind the rear view mirror and cant even see it from my driving position.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Well, if it’s hidden behind the rear view mirror it’s not obstructing anything, the mirror is. I’d hide it directly behind the mirror so you can’t see it at all while driving. That’s where mine is mounted (on the glass not the plastic housing) and it’s hardwired so the wiring is completely hidden. I have the VIOFO A129 Duo and someone can only see it if they look hard enough and the lighting is well. It uses some strong double sided adhesive so it holds very well. Otherwise, it’s pretty dark and blends in with the rear view mirror.

for storage, it depends on what size sd card you get. I use a 128GB card and it saves about 1-2 days of footage.

If they try to ticket you I’d fight it and not give in to their bs
I'm not handy enough to hard-wire it so I'd plug into my USB port for power, but the cable is thin enough that it shouldn't be noticeable.

The temperature dropped to 5 degrees last night, and occasionally goes below zero -- would the tape stand up?

Also if I did get stopped by the police they'd probably see it on the windshield, whereas if it sits on the dash I could quickly take it off.

As far as fighting a ticket -- you know what they say about City Hall.

Thanks.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
you dont really need to mount a dash cam where it obstructs view really.
mine is mounted behind the rear view mirror and cant even see it from my driving position.
I'm not worried about it blocking my view so much as being visible to a passing police car, or noticed if I happened to get stopped by police for something else. I think the fine is $150, with a $90 surcharge depending on circumstances, plus 2 points on your license.

Thanks.

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I'm not worried about it blocking my view so much as being visible to a passing police car, or noticed if I happened to get stopped by police for something else. I think the fine is $150, with a $90 surcharge depending on circumstances, plus 2 points on your license.

Thanks.
why would police stop you and punish you for the dashcam? as long as it is installed behind the mirror where you can't really see anything anyways you should be fine... I think installing it on dash is actually worse than behind the mirror...
any cam can be hard wired or connected through USB and most cameras use 128gb, your phone storage or upload using 4g sim card that you buy for cam such as some Blackvue models or Nexar cameras... I personally use nexar and installed it behind the mirror and can't even see it there

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Idk how it is there but here in Cali, obstructing your view tends to refer to things dangling from your rear view mirror or mounting a gps with a suction cup directly in the middle of the windshield. I’ve heard of ppl get hassled for that. Usually dash cams are out of sight and away so idk why you’d get hassled for that.

ChefRyeSi

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan / 04’ CRV EX 5MT
Country flag
I personally have had the Rexing V1P Pro Gen 3. I wanted a front/rear facing camera and it only recently (within a few months) filled up with over a years worth of recordings. Deleting the cache can be done from the devices menu within 2 minutes, it hides behind the rearview mirror and i've forgotten it's there a day after installing. You can purchase a wiring kit from them to wire into the box and it records as a parking camera. I love it, quality is HD 1080 F/R or 2160 from just the front. It's on amazon too

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Thanks.
There’s a difference between something on the windshield and something obstructing your view. Most people give in and pay the fines but if something is not obstructing your view and you’re getting fined for something obstructing your view, why would you pay and not fight it? If it’s behind the rear view mirror and you can’t see it while driving, there’s an argument to be made. Never give in especially if it’s a bogus claim.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I'm not handy enough to hard-wire it so I'd plug into my USB port for power, but the cable is thin enough that it shouldn't be noticeable.

The temperature dropped to 5 degrees last night, and occasionally goes below zero -- would the tape stand up?

Also if I did get stopped by the police they'd probably see it on the windshield, whereas if it sits on the dash I could quickly take it off.

As far as fighting a ticket -- you know what they say about City Hall.

Thanks.
I’m confident the adhesive will definitely stay on. Watch a couple videos on how to hardwire a dash cam. It’s honestly not that difficult. The hardest thing is hiding the wires and making it look neat. BlackBoxMyCar has great resources to help you and good all in one kits for hardwiring. In those temperatures I’d be more concerned about the dash cam itself failing. Luckily the VIOFO A129 should be able to handle those temperatures.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Okay, I'll reconsider the windshield mount idea.

Looking at photos I can't tell -- does the actual cam adhere with the tape, or is it a holder that attaches so you can remove the cam?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Okay, I'll reconsider the windshield mount idea.

Looking at photos I can't tell -- does the actual cam adhere with the tape, or is it a holder that attaches so you can remove the cam?
If you’re looking at the VIOFO models, they typically have two options. You can get the GPS module and stick that to the windshield and the dash cam mounts onto the module. You can easily remove the dash itself from the module whenever. Or you just mount the dash cam itself directly to the windshield. I don’t know how you would remove that without completing removing the adhesive.

It all depends on what dash cam you end up getting, whether it’s VIOFO or a different brand.

TriangleHeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe (FC4, K20C2)
Country flag
Installing on dash is probably a bad idea. You want it up high to look down so you can catch things that hit your bumper, the dashboard angle is going to occlude things from field of view. There's a reason why almost every dashcam only comes with a windshield mount, that and the dashboard getting hot, the mess of adhering to a dashboard, no adhesive is going to last without turning into a permanent mess after sitting in the summer sun, etc, it's just not worth it. Also every car that comes with a camera for sensing or collision avoidance, the camera is always at the top of the windshield for the best visibility. I have not seen one where the camera is on the bottom or mounted on the dashboard.

The 10th Civic has a huge shaded spot at the top center of the windshield. You can stick a windshield mount on there so that the actual camera is just poking out of that region. Nobody is going to ticket you for that. The entire mount is going to be behind the shaded spot, only the lens is going to poke out from below that. The wire for the car charger plug can also be tucked into the headliner directly above, then routed along the A pillar, down. I just hang the wire directly vertical from the dashcam down to the 12v car charger port.

One hint I will give you now, if you drive in a place that often rains you may want to position your camera slightly more down and to the left or right, such that the lens is within the sweep of the windshield wiper. Otherwise you're just going to record droplets of rain on glass lol. Suction cup mounts are better than adhesive, I've never had a locking suction cup mount fall. The 3M adhesive mounts while they can be removed were intended to be permanent, removal is hard so if you mess up you're going to be in for an annoying few minutes.

Last edited:

texaspi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic
Country flag
You could use something like this and that way it is not directly attached to your windshield nor dashboard.

OP
OP
BataviaJim

BataviaJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thank you TriangleHeat, good advice. I'm convinced.

Texaspi, thanks for the link to the mirror mount.
Sponsored